PDA

View Full Version : Ciocc Retro??

colod
04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Not sure if this is a PSA or just an inquiry, as I am rather intrigued by this. Anyone have thoughts about this bike and setup (and price)?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380629275013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thirdgenbird
04-25-2013, 11:45 PM
US ergos and UT cranks are a big plus in my book.

I would swap the bottle cage for a king cage and swap the tires for veloflex masters. Other than that it looks like a bike I could be very happy on (if it fit)

I think those frames are somewhere around 1000-1500 new and unbuilt. Could you do better, sure. Would I be critical of someone that bought this because they loved it and had the cash? Nope.

thirdgenbird
04-25-2013, 11:55 PM
I just checked and you can buy veloce for $550 stateside. I would pay more for this group givin the "ultra" parts. Vento wheels are $275 at the same retailer.

The frameset is $1000.

(Prices without shipping)

colod
04-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Thanks - good info. I'm going to keep my eye on it.

pavel
04-26-2013, 03:30 AM
too high a price.

1. those are heavy and cheap wheels (2nd from the bottom of the campagnlolo line.)

2. While the crank and shifters are UT/US (2010 leftovers) they are still the heaviest shifters and crank of 2010 campagnolo. The rest looks like new generation Veloce, which as stated can be had for 550 stateside, probably lower from the UK houses. They only give you 3 photos that you cant really zoom in on, but IMO the finish and look of the new veloce derailleurs is pretty unattractive from up close.

3. a VO loose ball headset (cheap crap), VO seatpost (its chromed nickel, not polished, and also cheap crap), cheap tires, used stem and bars "with scuffs from installation".

It's a good looking bike from about 10 feet, and I can certainly appreciate that it's old school looking with the alloy build, but this is a build and price that is heavily skewed to favor the seller. That's a lot of corner cutting with that VO garbage.

Steel frame, steel fork, 1825g wheelset, and the heaviest campagnolo components you can find around, and I'm guessing weight is ~19 unless that frame is filled with helium.

I know money means nothing to some people around here, but for >$2000 I expect a lot more, because on your own you can put together something way more spectacular out of used parts, the storage locker, and your friendly local paceline classifieds. $2000 can get you a lot of bike, and this, my friend - is not a lot of bike. (seriously, the VO sh*t is just a kick in the groin.)

Like I said - looks good from afar, but once you start examining it piece by piece it doesn't seem like such a great deal.

sorry, i'm picky.

thirdgenbird
04-26-2013, 07:22 AM
I agree for that price it should have a new bar/stem and a better headset and seatpost.

There are much better deals on the forum but still, you could do worse. Weight isn't the goal here.* I would much rather have the ultra components than the newer stuff, despite any weight difference. The wheels are also very durable for their price bracket.

Again, if you bought new, the frame, group, and wheelset would be pushing $2000 shipped. What's left isn't worth $200 to me, but it may be to someone who can't source out parts and build from scratch. If you can build from scratch, I would expect a nicer set of wheels, record/chorus, and top end parts for $2000. (Used parts)

*i would also put it over 19lbs. My full record eurus equipped steel colnago is over 19lbs.

charliedid
04-26-2013, 07:31 AM
I agree for that price it should have a new bar/stem and a better headset and seatpost.

There are much better deals on the forum but still, you could do worse. Weight isn't the goal here.* I would much rather have the ultra components than the newer stuff, despite any weight difference. The wheels are also very durable for their price bracket.

Again, if you bought new, the frame, group, and wheelset would be pushing $2000 shipped. What's left isn't worth $200 to me, but it may be to someone who can't source out parts and build from scratch. If you can build from scratch, I would expect a nicer set of wheels, record/chorus, and top end parts for $2000.

*i would also put it over 19lbs. My full record eurus equipped steel colnago is over 19lbs.

Pretty sure that is a new bike?

Good looking one at that.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2013, 08:00 AM

Again, if you bought new, the frame, group, and wheelset would be pushing $2000 shipped. What's left isn't worth $200 to me, but it may be to someone who can't source out parts and build from scratch. If you can build from scratch, I would expect a nicer set of wheels, record/chorus, and top end parts for $2000.

New frame built in Italy and New Record/Chorus and New 'nicer set of wheels', all new for $2000 complete? Good luck with that.

T.J.
04-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Not sure if this is a PSA or just an inquiry, as I am rather intrigued by this. Anyone have thoughts about this bike and setup (and price)?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380629275013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That bike is at Main Street Bikes in Shelbyville KY just east of Louisville. If you are really interested give the guys a call

thirdgenbird
04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
New frame built in Italy and New Record/Chorus and New 'nicer set of wheels', all new for $2000 complete? Good luck with that.

Sorry, that was a reference to pavels comment about scrounging for used stuff off the forum.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Sorry, that was a reference to pavels comment about scrounging for used stuff off the forum.

Figured that but..I have a Bianchi Tipo Corsa..part of their 'heritage series', with Veloce for $2000...about the same as the Ciocc.

thirdgenbird
04-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Figured that but..I have a Bianchi Tipo Corsa..part of their 'heritage series', with Veloce for $2000...about the same as the Ciocc.

Yes, new I think it is a reasonable price. I would rather have the ciocc than an entry level madone.

fiataccompli
04-26-2013, 08:22 AM
I think it would be more interesting to retro-modern build a vintage (?) steel Italian for the same money using slightly used nice stuff sourced here and I think the total cash outlay would be a good bit less...but there is some value in "ready to ride" + new stuff of any variety simply isn't cheap so i have no comment on the value of the topic auction. I simply prefer older, more storied stuff and the sourcing/building part is fun for me.

RonW87
04-26-2013, 08:22 AM
I like that Ciocc, Bianchi, etc. are putting out these nice lugged steel frames again. Of course Colnago never withdrew their Master Light. Condor has a cool steel lugged frame too. Wouldn't it be cool if Trek, Specialized, etc. did the same. I was going to see Cannondale too, but ... never mind.

colod
04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
All good insights/opinions. Thanks. Seems to me it's a pretty reasonable but not great price, depending on what one wants. I'd probably rather just buy the frame and group and cobble the rest together myself, so I doubt I will be a bidder (esp since I don't have a $2k plus budget at the moment).

cmg
04-26-2013, 02:11 PM
look at what Smart cycles is selling and build something from the ground up. http://www.smartcycles.com/coppi_casati_ciocc.htm