PDA

View Full Version : Which Model....

jpw
04-25-2013, 04:48 AM
Which model in the Serotta lineup could be built to give the most forgiving ride over harsher surfaces, insulating the rider the most from the shock and vibration of dried mini mud ruts and the like?

I've just ridden a friends 531 ranndonneur on 28s for three hours over mixed surfaces, and I've never felt so beaten up and hammered. I'd almost taken for granted the ride of my Legend, but this experience has really brought home to me the smoothness of titanium.

Steve in SLO
04-25-2013, 06:15 AM
The Ottrott just floats...super smooth. Meivici, less so but still smooth.

CNY rider
04-25-2013, 06:36 AM
The Ottrott just floats...super smooth. .

I think that's the case [I]if[I] it's built right for you.
I bought a used Ottrott here years ago.
Fit me right, beautiful to look at.
I so wanted to love that bike. But I couldn't. It felt harsh to ride, kind of clunky. Did a little research and even though it was my size it had been built for a heavier, more powerful rider.
So there's a lot that goes into the custom build process, with different outcomes.

happycampyer
04-25-2013, 07:10 AM
I would say the Ottrott with the "All Road Option" (which I think was fka the Pavé option until they started working on a prototype that they call the Pavé) would provide the most forgiving ride, followed by the MeiVici ARO or the Legend ARO. The chainstays are a little longer on the AROs, and you can run a fatter tire. If you are talking about standard models, then I agree that the Ottrott is the best choice. CNY Rider's point cannot be overstated (note that it is true of most custom bikes and not just Serottas)—if you buy a bike built for someone else, it may or may not have been built for your weight, etc., even though it fits you. I assume that you are talking about a bike built for you. Of the dozens of bikes I've owned, it is eerie how smooth the Ottrott is.

I would also note that tire selection and pressure are key, but I assume that you are taking that into account.

RedRider
04-25-2013, 08:22 AM
First choice - Ottrott SE
Second Choice - Fondo

559Rando
04-25-2013, 11:43 AM
I've just ridden a friends 531 ranndonneur on 28s for three hours over mixed surfaces, and I've never felt so beaten up and hammered.

That beat up feeling could be due to any number of variables.

sc53
04-25-2013, 12:30 PM
I would say the Ottrott with the "All Road Option" (which I think was fka the Pavé option until they started working on a prototype that they call the Pavé) would provide the most forgiving ride, followed by the MeiVici ARO or the Legend ARO. The chainstays are a little longer on the AROs, and you can run a fatter tire. If you are talking about standard models, then I agree that the Ottrott is the best choice. CNY Rider's point cannot be overstated (note that it is true of most custom bikes and not just Serottas)—if you buy a bike built for someone else, it may or may not have been built for your weight, etc., even though it fits you. I assume that you are talking about a bike built for you. Of the dozens of bikes I've owned, it is eerie how smooth the Ottrott is.

I would also note that tire selection and pressure are key, but I assume that you are taking that into account.

My Ottrott (made for me) is the smoothest riding bike I own, and it only fits 25s max. If that bike would fit 28 or 32c tires it would be heaven. Because it won't, I got my Bedford "sport tourer" and ride it with 32's. Very smooth, but not as plush as the Ottrott.

Pete Mckeon
04-25-2013, 11:15 PM
I could not have stated more or added any additional value than below- and I love Serotta and have many years of different models. Ottrott and the Legend, Tire and wheel selctions are also a msin ride determination,:banana::banana:

Louis
04-25-2013, 11:19 PM
That beat up feeling could be due to any number of variables.

Starting with tire pressure.

SoCalSteve
04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Ottrott...smoothest bike I've ever ridden. Have done many a Century on her...there really is no other choice....PS: I owned a Mevieci once, not nearly as smooth as my Ottrott.

jpw
04-26-2013, 03:03 AM
So we have a clear winner, the Ottrott. I'll mull it over. Thanks fellas.

jpw
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
P.S.

The ARO seems favored. Therefore, which brakes would be favored for fatter tires?

sc53
04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
There are lots of long reach brakes available now for fatter road tires. VO, Tektro, Cane Creek, Shimano, among others. I've got these (http://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/product-test-velo-orange-grand-cru-brakes/) on a randonneur bike and these (http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/brsbm59.htm) on a cross-like bike.

Len J
04-26-2013, 03:10 PM
I think that's the case [I]if[I] it's built right for you.
I bought a used Ottrott here years ago.
Fit me right, beautiful to look at.
I so wanted to love that bike. But I couldn't. It felt harsh to ride, kind of clunky. Did a little research and even though it was my size it had been built for a heavier, more powerful rider.
So there's a lot that goes into the custom build process, with different outcomes.

/\This/\

make sure if buying used, you not only check the geometry, but make sure you understand either the weight and riding style of the original owner or call Serotta and get the tube design explained. I've not purchased bikes I thought were beautiful and would fit me like a glove and were reasonably priced because the tube sets would not work for me.

Len