PDA

View Full Version : Lezyne Mega Drive Mount Question

jberenyi
04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
I bought this light in the loaded version with alloy clamp based on this forums recommendation. Its a great light except for one issue. When mounted correctly to my handlebar the light will rotate laterally left to right no matter how much you tighten the clamp bolt. I called Lezyne about this issue today and the person I spoke too in customer support heard of this issue but could not help me at all. He did say they were working on a new design but was not sure when it would be released. In my opinion the design is flawed unless someone out there convinces me otherwise. Road vibration, accidentally hitting it while riding can easily knock this out of center or your favorite position. If I had known about this I would not have bought it. To help the light stay in position I put an O-ring underneath the sliding mount thereby putting pressure between the mount and clamp. Its seems to work very well but I look forward to the new design when available.

NateM
04-25-2013, 03:53 AM
I bought one for my daughter.Its got to be the worst mount ever made.It swivels like you say but is also not easy to attach and remove the light,this alone makes it a bad choice for her.The light doesnt charge with a wall mount charger,only the computer....But the thing is bright

DRZRM
04-25-2013, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure what you mean, the USB2 charger works fine with a wall mount, the adapter for that computer cable is super easy to source, you can get them from Amazon for a buck or two. Or is your system not taking a charge from the plug in adapter? If that's the case, you should call Lezyne customer service.

.The light doesnt charge with a wall mount charger,only the computer....

oldpotatoe
04-25-2013, 07:32 AM
I bought this light in the loaded version with alloy clamp based on this forums recommendation. Its a great light except for one issue. When mounted correctly to my handlebar the light will rotate laterally left to right no matter how much you tighten the clamp bolt. I called Lezyne about this issue today and the person I spoke too in customer support heard of this issue but could not help me at all. He did say they were working on a new design but was not sure when it would be released. In my opinion the design is flawed unless someone out there convinces me otherwise. Road vibration, accidentally hitting it while riding can easily knock this out of center or your favorite position. If I had known about this I would not have bought it. To help the light stay in position I put an O-ring underneath the sliding mount thereby putting pressure between the mount and clamp. Its seems to work very well but I look forward to the new design when available.

Send it back, not everything from Lyzyne is the epitome of design. Even they acknowledge that..send it back.

kenmetzger
04-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Thier mounts do come with a decent amount of float. They all have it. It is a little annoying, but I still find it to be a great product. The light often does have to be recentered when I hop on the bike, but rarely moves once a ride is started. Maybe the float is there in case it is side mounted on a head tube to make it level to the road, but I don't really know.

jberenyi
04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Send it back, not everything from Lyzyne is the epitome of design. Even they acknowledge that..send it back.

Too much time has elapsed to send back so I guess its wait for the new style mount and in the meantime I will continue to use the small O-ring which keeps it pretty darn stable from moving. Basically the O-ring acts as a rubber washer, mashes down after tightening the clamp and due to frictional mating forces prevents the float issue.