PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Price Police - Please weigh-in

InspectorGadget
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Please review the ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/130895109641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649) details listed below and tell me if $1600 is a fair price.

New Serotta Colorado III Custom (Slightly longer head tube for a more upright riding position). 55cm top tube c to c, 55cm seat tube c to t, 14.6cm head tube, 31.7" stand over height. This bike was custom ordered, built, purchased, ridden around the neighborhood 4 times and placed into climate controlled storage. There are no flaws or defects. Bike is a solid 10/10. If the new owner is not 100% satisfied I offer 1 week return full refund including return shipping.Shipping to CONUS primarily, but if you are out of country and wish to bid, please contact me and we'll see if we can work something out. This is essentially a new bike from one of the world's best custom builders, with no reserve on the auction.

A list of components is as follows:

Full Dura ace 7700 9 speed drivetrain. 172.5 crank arms, 53/39 chain rings. 12-25 cassette.

Chris King headset

Thomson Elite seatpost

Selle Italia Flite Ti saddle

Specialized Pro computer w/ cadence

Continental Ultra Gatorskin tires (replaced original tire due to age, these have anound 200 miles and are in perfect condition as well)

Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset

I've spoken with the owner, he seems like a really nice fellow and he is definitely a member of the N+1 club.

laupsi
04-24-2013, 01:56 PM
sounds like it's very fair to the buyer

Aaron O
04-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Seems reasonable to me. Not a deal of a life time, but fair.

pdmtong
04-24-2013, 02:02 PM
what are your alternatives? when buying used you cant always be picky. here you are getting pristine. would you rather have something needing a re-spray for $1200?

CNY rider
04-24-2013, 04:07 PM
I'd hit it.

MattTuck
04-24-2013, 04:17 PM
If you want to sell me the alloy dura-ace group, it'd look great on my bike :)

1/2 Wheeler
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM

+1 if it is a spot on fit and what you are looking for.

I don't think it will sell for $1600. Wait it out and offer him 12-14K afterwards so he can save on ebay fees.

christian
04-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Dura-Ace 7700 is nice stuff, but 9-speed is old hat. I don't like the wheels. Feels like a $1200-1400 bike to me. Then I looked at the pictures and saw the color and the (hallelujah) level top tube. $1550 shipped is fair.

thwart
04-24-2013, 04:34 PM
C III's are great riding bikes.

If the new owner is not 100% satisfied I offer 1 week return full refund including return shipping.

I would consider that particular bike coupled with the offer above almost a 'no brainer'.

If... it fits you well.

jr59
04-24-2013, 05:11 PM

^^THIS^^

It's not a steal, but reasonable.

phcollard
04-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Dura-Ace 7700 is nice stuff, but 9-speed is old hat. I don't like the wheels. Feels like a $1200-1400 bike to me. Then I looked at the pictures and saw the color and the (hallelujah) level top tube. $1550 shipped is fair.

I'm with Christian. I'd say if it fits you perfectly and you really like the esthetics that's a $1500 bike no problem. I would resell that DA group though if that is going to be your main bike. Sure it works like butter, sure it's the best, sure it's mint, but I'd rather put a more up to date group on it if it was mine.

InspectorGadget
04-24-2013, 05:52 PM
The main attraction, besides the fact that it's a pristine steel Serotta, is that short of a custom build, I don't think I could find a better fit. Also, if I bought the Serotta, I would swap parts with my Orbea (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=114702).

I'm not looking for another project and certainly wouldn't repaint the bike, but man I wish it wasn't blue. Why is it that blue bikes seem to find me? Don't get me wrong, I like blue. But I'd be thrilled, ecstatic even, if it were red. In speaking with the seller, I don't think he will take much less for the bike. The current ebay listing is the second time and he was surprised it didn't sell the first time.

I'm going to be patient and see what happens. Maybe it's prettier and sexier titanium cousin will show up.

reggiebaseball
04-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Fit is right on, check!
It was not ridden, I LOVE that in used bikes. I hate getting a "deal" and then looking at dings-- this thing looks showroom fresh. Like the Gibson guitar sitting in grandmas closet for 30 years.

You know what, if it suits you, then whats a few bucks anyway.
Flip those components to Matt Tuck so he doesnt get silver ultegra on his Kirk.

That is a nice blue color,

HenryA
04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I think price perceptions of some things (esp hobby things) are often tainted by some overarching need to feel like you stole them or got a crazy great deal. As if it makes you smart or handsome or masterful or something.

But if you want a great bike to actually RIDE the price you pay now might not be very important 10 years from now after you've tried to ride it into the ground. And that is what bikes are for. Bikes are not financial investments.

If you want a bike to RIDE, and this one fits you, you'd be crazy not to buy this. In its genre its as good as it gets. If you're a trader its still not a bad deal. 9 speed? who cares? That'll have no, absolutely no, zero, zippo effect on your riding. Buy it and ride it.

victoryfactory
04-25-2013, 04:30 AM
There are no new steel Serottas.
if it fits, get it. Get it?
VF

rodcad
04-25-2013, 05:38 AM
I think price perceptions of some things (esp hobby things) are often tainted by some overarching need to feel like you stole them or got a crazy great deal. As if it makes you smart or handsome or masterful or something.

But if you want a great bike to actually RIDE the price you pay now might not be very important 10 years from now after you've tried to ride it into the ground. And that is what bikes are for. Bikes are not financial investments.

If you want a bike to RIDE, and this one fits you, you'd be crazy not to buy this. In its genre its as good as it gets. If you're a trader its still not a bad deal. 9 speed? who cares? That'll have no, absolutely no, zero, zippo effect on your riding. Buy it and ride it.

Totally agree here and I love DA 9 speed to boot. Old Potatoe will be building up my CSI with this group this group on Monday.

I think this is a fantastic deal but I would prefer a DA hubbed wheelset.......

soulspinner
04-25-2013, 05:43 AM
what are your alternatives? when buying used you cant always be picky. here you are getting pristine. would you rather have something needing a re-spray for $1200?

+1 pristine to that degree is rare...............

Aaron O
04-25-2013, 06:26 AM

Great post! If it's singing to you, and it's going to make you happy, buy it and enjoy it.

djg
04-25-2013, 07:15 AM
"Fair" has nothing to do with it. A seller is fair if he or she is honest and forthright and delivers on promises. Do you want the bike? Are there many things you want more at the same or lesser prices? Are you worried that the seller is trying to make some sort of "unreasonable" profit? Not sure why that would be a worry but it seems pretty unlikely in any case -- if the bike is as represented, the seller is taking a big hit on a bike he never really used.

Used bike prices tend to be all over the map. Can you find some excellent bikes in excellent condition for less than 1600 bucks? Heck yeah. Maybe down to 1k. Or up to 3k. Can you find a NOS or leftover demo Serotta C III, in pristine condition, in a shop, all built up with DA 9 speed (a very good group if it doesn't present you with compatibility issues, and bound to work darn well in any case) for less than 1600 bucks? Not likely. In your size? Really not likely. The model is not current, but you could easily pay 1600 bucks or a good deal more for a comparable frame and fork new, and then you'd need to do the build. There are lower-priced (but experienced and well-regarded) builders, such as Rock Lobster and DeSalvo, and some folks like stock offerings from Gunnar, but there's still no way you're getting a comparable frame and comparable components new for less or the same amount of money.

I like Serottas. I don't have a CIII but I have an old CSi that I bought used and a HSG Ti that I bought new. Excellent bikes. If I were shopping for a new steel bike, in that size, and weren't going all out on something made-to-measure for me, I'd be keenly interested, and I say that as a guy who is pretty well into Campy components and wheelsets. If it fits, what's not to like?

saab2000
04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
If it really has that few miles it is a good deal. CIIIs are great bikes. I've had two lugged Serottas and two CIIIs. The CIIIs are worlds better bikes. Don't know why, but they have been keepers.

If this bike fits I'd go for it. Fit matters. Don't try to justify bad fit to make it work as you won't end up happy. But if it's your size I'd say go ahead.

Most people like that generation of D/A and even though it's older stuff if it really only has 25 miles on the bike (hard to believe but possible I guess) it will be like a new bike.

christian
04-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Yeah, what he said. Look at those drop outs. Look at that pump peg. Steel bikes really don't get any better than this.

Buy it, sell the parts, hang some Campagnolo on it - lifetime bike. I wish I were shorter!

Ahneida Ride
04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Longer top tubes do not = more comfortable upright position.

FYI .... my buddy picked up a BRAN NEW (with warranty) Serotta
Fierte from Flea Bay last year for 1350 phed reserve shopping coupons.
Build up with Ultegra.

for 1600 frn the fit should be spot on !

avalonracing
04-25-2013, 09:08 AM
If it fits you it IS a great deal.

dd74
04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
As what was already said, there are and possibly may never be another new steel Serotta. If the frame fits, I'd get it.

Dromen
04-25-2013, 02:00 PM
If it fits you it IS a great deal.

THis is the Key. From usability, no bike is worth a dime if it doesn't fit.

If it is spot on and your going to ride it, get it. I think DA7700 is some the best. Wish gearing would have stopped at 9sp.

I i had room for a steel serotta and this fit, you'd be battling me for it.

Make sure you let us know what happened with the sale.

InspectorGadget
04-25-2013, 02:33 PM
"Fair" has nothing to do with it.With all due respect, my choice of the word fair is a semantic discussion. Maybe I should have used reasonable, but I didn't. My mistake.

Since my knowledge of the Serotta brand pales in comparsion to many of the participants on this board, I came asking for a validation of value. All other considerations aside, the question at hand is really pretty simple: is this specific bike, as a sum of its parts, worth the seller's asking price?

If this thread was a pole, I think the ayes would carry the day.

Make sure you let us know what happened with the sale.
I will do so.

cmg
04-25-2013, 04:16 PM
your not going be able to get a frame built with the same paint, tube shaping, quality of pipes, geometry for the cost of this frame. DO IT and if it doesn't work for you next year you can sell it here or eBay and for nearly the same price. if you sell it during the summer you'll have a better shot. Do it, cobble it together, your not married to the drivetrain, ride it and enjoy it. post a photo when you get it.

Pete Mckeon
04-25-2013, 11:22 PM
It fits and it puts a smile on your face and begs to be ridden by you. A price is not a good price if it does not do these two personal items (unless you are braking bike down to sell frame and/or components separately, BUT I AM NOT A HIGH COUNT SELLER OR BUYER ON FORUM:mad:

54ny77
04-25-2013, 11:31 PM
damn, talk about a time capsule.

9 spd dura ace 7700 was really terrific stuff. aesthetically pleasing, smooth and reliable, i've never had anything since that was as foolproof and maintenance-free.

terrific rig all around. if that fits you, it's a helluva deal. i'd ride that 9 spd till it drops, esp. with parts in that condition (essentially brand new).

heck of a find. good luck!

soulspinner
04-26-2013, 04:59 AM
your not going be able to get a frame built with the same paint, tube shaping, quality of pipes, geometry for the cost of this frame. DO IT and if it doesn't work for you next year you can sell it here or eBay and for nearly the same price. if you sell it during the summer you'll have a better shot. Do it, cobble it together, your not married to the drivetrain, ride it and enjoy it. post a photo when you get it.

he is right

djg
04-26-2013, 07:06 AM
With all due respect, my choice of the word fair is a semantic discussion. Maybe I should have used reasonable, but I didn't. My mistake.

Since my knowledge of the Serotta brand pales in comparsion to many of the participants on this board, I came asking for a validation of value. All other considerations aside, the question at hand is really pretty simple: is this specific bike, as a sum of its parts, worth the seller's asking price?

If this thread was a pole, I think the ayes would carry the day.

I will do so.

I don't mean to pick on the word choice. Some folks want a bargain, some have issues with people (not shops) making money, and some just want good value-for-money (and to avoid paying way above market). I think the key point is that used bike prices -- not to mention used bike conditions -- are really pretty darn varied. If you trust the seller, and the thing is really mint, AND it fits -- it's what you want -- then this is a great bike for what to me seems a "reasonable" or "fair" price. You could spend more and get less. If somebody saw a Fierte for 17 pesos it doesn't really matter. You probably won't see mint or NOS CIIIIs in just your size popping up every day.

laupsi
04-26-2013, 08:05 AM
to all those penny pinchers and frugal curmudgeons; life is too short to worry over such frivolous details. a few hundred dollars one way or another? pull that damn trigger and get that rig for all the reasons set forth in prior postings to this thread or live on w/your regret and ignorance on what might have been and leave well enough alone! :eek:

Ahneida Ride
04-26-2013, 08:43 AM
It fits and it puts a smile on your face and begs to be ridden by you. A price is not a good price if it does not do these two personal items (unless you are braking bike down to sell frame and/or components separately, BUT I AM NOT A HIGH COUNT SELLER OR BUYER ON FORUM:mad:

Pete is right .... It the bike fits and puts a smile on your face .. Sorry for my original post

It's a decent price.

A buddy purchased a Serotta HC from a Phorum member many moons ago
at a fair price and has never looked back. He loves the bike.