PDA

View Full Version : Campy conversion cassettes

shinomaster
11-26-2005, 11:53 PM
THe other day in the mail I got my lovely and shiny and new Supergo $89. wheels! What black beauties they are. Super smooth hubs, and more true than any of my crummy Campy wheels (honest). They seem to be of a very nice quality.
I got them for training and crappy weather riding in the rain (or cross). Now I need a casette for it. I of course use campy 10, and the wheels are shimano. I know I can get an american classic conversion casette, or cheap shimano casette I guess. Would one be much better over the other? These are only for training so they don't have to be perfect. Does any one else make a conversion casette? IRD?
American classic says that their cogs are only good for 1000 miles?
Should I just build up a bike 9 speed E-Richie style?

GregLR
11-27-2005, 12:48 AM
see later message

shinomaster
11-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Error?

the wheels? 10 speed? 9 speed? Shimano? Campy? Should I have gotten Hyperons?

The Spider
11-27-2005, 03:13 AM
why save big bucks on wheels and then fork out $ for AC, a nice Shimano 105 10 speed will easily do the trick.

Spend the savings on some fine porcelain.

Fixed
11-27-2005, 07:07 AM
I know the a.c. guys high price cheaply made is their motto i.m.h.o. cheers

shaq-d
11-27-2005, 07:59 AM
THe other day in the mail I got my lovely and shiny and new Supergo $89. wheels! What black beauties they are. Super smooth hubs, and more true than any of my crummy Campy wheels (honest). They seem to be of a very nice quality.
I got them for training and crappy weather riding in the rain (or cross). Now I need a casette for it. I of course use campy 10, and the wheels are shimano. I know I can get an american classic conversion casette, or cheap shimano casette I guess. Would one be much better over the other? These are only for training so they don't have to be perfect. Does any one else make a conversion casette? IRD?
American classic says that their cogs are only good for 1000 miles?
Should I just build up a bike 9 speed E-Richie style?

is the supergo 10 speed? if so you can put on any 10 speed cassette. don't need to "convert" anything. i exchange my shimano and campy wheels/drivetrains regularly without having to adjust a thing.

sd

shinomaster
11-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Really shaqu-d? Are you using a campy chain and a campy drivetrain? I'll happily use a 105, 10 speed cassette if it will work (it will fit on these wheels)

ergott
11-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Get an Ultegra 10 cassette and go.

shaq-d
11-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Really shaqu-d? Are you using a campy chain and a campy drivetrain? I'll happily use a 105, 10 speed cassette if it will work (it will fit on these wheels)

i am, and it works. this is true of 10, 9, and 8 speed.

sd

The Spider
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Campagnolo chain, crankset, BB, RD, FD, shifters, brakes, bottleopener....

and

Shimano Ultegra 10 speed cassette.

works beautifully (except the cassette digs into the freehub body).

buy 105 and be happy (I'm thinking of having t-shirts made up)

shinomaster
11-27-2005, 10:43 PM
what do you mean that the cassette digs into the freehub body? HOw can this be?

shaq-d
11-28-2005, 06:15 AM
shino dude, stop thinking. buy the 105 and put it on ur bike
:banana:
sd

saab2000
11-28-2005, 09:55 AM
I'd try a Shimano cogset. If it doesn't work you should be able to sell it easily.

I had an American Classic cassette. Worked OK, not better. Sold the wheels.

jerk
11-28-2005, 08:48 PM
use shimano 9speed. not 10 speed.

jerk

GregLR
11-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Sorry for the note of "error" in my earlier message, Shinomaster. I've only just seen your query.

I posted a message late on Sunday afternoon (Australian time) then immediately realised my answer didn't relate to the combination of equipment you were asking about.

My answer concerned using Campy 10 speed Ergo levers with Shimano 9-speed cassette and derailleur - see http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

But I realised that you would be using a Campy derailleur. Others may have already raised this, but perhaps there might be a solution for you here: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Shiftmate.asp

These practices are based on the view that its cable movement rather than cassette spacing that's important. I've tried the solution involving combining 10-speed Ergo levers and 9-speed Shimano cassette and derailleur on my girlfriend's road touring bike. It seems to be working well enough, so far. But as i said, it's not relevant to your problem.

Greg

kokies
11-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Shimano and campy wheels are dished slightly different, if I remember correctly it is 2mm. This is base on switching a pair of Reynolds wheels from shimano to campy and the advise given to me by white industries when they swapped the cassette body.

jerk
11-29-2005, 08:20 AM
campy 10 shifter, campy ten chain, campy ten derailleurs shimano nine cassette. works like (italian, ok southern italian) clockwork. this is what e-richie's team uses for example, and we know he won't accept anything less than second worst.

now the jerk's big leg emma currently has old nine speed pointy campy shifters, campy ten chain, tiso derailleur designed to be compatible with campy 10, and a nine speed shimano wheel in the thing....it shouldn't work but it does too. so there you go.\, it's all about expectations.

jerk

shinomaster
11-29-2005, 05:31 PM
is there a reason you would choose a 9 speed shimano cassette over a shimano 10--to use with 10 speed ergopower?

ashwinearl
11-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Forget about the conversion cassettes, spacers, etc.
try out the shiftmate

So far I am pretty impressed with it. Here is an initial review and pictures. The inventor is very good about helping out getting it set up.

http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2005/11/initial-review-jtek-engineering.html

Vancouverdave
11-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Campy and compatible hubs set the right hand hub flange a little farther inboard then Shimano. This means that Campy rear derailleurs can have insufficient clearance between pulley cage and spokes on some rear wheels.
Check this first!