PDA

View Full Version : Beemer vs. Cyclist

merlinmurph
04-24-2013, 06:39 AM
I'd love to know the whole story behind this video (http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/04/road-rage-against-cyclist-isnt-pretty/).

I'm amazed the rider was actually walking.

Careful out there.

shovelhd
04-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Moral: Don't punch drivers in the face.

Lewis Moon
04-24-2013, 07:55 AM
I'd love to know the whole story behind this video (http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/04/road-rage-against-cyclist-isnt-pretty/).

I'm amazed the rider was actually walking.

Careful out there.

Just an FYI: It's Bimmer. Beemers are motorcycles.

Back on topic. I have a temper, but I've only ever resorted to punching someone once in self defence, and that was at a college party, not on the bike. When you're astride a spindly multi thousand dollar racing machine, wearing slippery, road cleated shoes and lycra, it's best to deal with the stupidity, absorb the abuse, and ride home safe.

mike p
04-24-2013, 08:09 AM
+ 1 stupid pet peeve of mine also :-)

Mike

Just an FYI: It's Bimmer. Beemers are motorcycles

bluesea
04-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Just an FYI: It's Bimmer. Beemers are motorcycles.

Back on topic. I have a temper, but I've only ever resorted to punching someone once in self defence, and that was at a college party, not on the bike. When you're astride a spindly multi thousand dollar racing machine, wearing slippery, road cleated shoes and lycra, it's best to deal with the stupidity, absorb the abuse, and ride home safe.

Wear tri shoes?

charliedid
04-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Dumb and Dumber

moose8
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I have a theory developed over time cycling in Boston that drivers of 3-series BMWs often are the most needlessly aggressive/dangerous drivers out there for cyclists. Outside of the city I notice similar behavior with pick-up trucks. And yes I have friends with both types of vehicles and they are nice people, so I realize you can't overgeneralize, but still.

rice rocket
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
I have a theory developed over time cycling in Boston that drivers of 3-series BMWs often are the most needlessly aggressive/dangerous drivers out there for cyclists. Outside of the city I notice similar behavior with pick-up trucks. And yes I have friends with both types of vehicles and they are nice people, so I realize you can't overgeneralize, but still.

I think you'll find more than a few 3-series drivers on here... :p One of them is a moderator.

moose8
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I think you'll find more than a few 3-series drivers on here... :p One of them is a moderator.

I'll be the first to admit it's a broad overgeneralization, but at least on the route through downtown Boston it's something I've noticed. It may just be a symptom of there being a ton of them in Boston. And I do have friends who are very nice who drive them.

RFC
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Does my Z4 count?

christian
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
The only person who ever tried to force me off the road was a BMW 3-series driver. He had New York MD plates.

I assume that if I die from negligence, it'll be someone in a cushy imported SUV, but if I die from someone being an assh*le, 3:1 odds they're driving a 3-series.

christian
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Does my Z4 count?No, Z4 drivers are exempt under the clause that "If you can't tell the difference between appropriate styling for a car and an electric razor, you're probably an ok guy."

rice rocket
04-24-2013, 10:20 AM
lol. Christian is on fire.

PQJ
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
lol. Christian is on fire.

So what you're really saying is that Christian is a terrorist with a sense of humor from a crappy non-rugby playing nation? The plot thickens. :help:

crownjewelwl
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
The only person who ever tried to force me off the road was a BMW 3-series driver. He had New York MD plates.

I assume that if I die from negligence, it'll be someone in a cushy imported SUV, but if I die from someone being an assh*le, 3:1 odds they're driving a 3-series.

carbon clinchers and a 3 series...i'm really on your ***** list

i have a 911 turbo...does that help or just make me even more of a douche??

54ny77
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
that should be an ad slogan.

No, Z4 drivers are exempt under the clause that "If you can't tell the difference between appropriate styling for a car and an electric razor, you're probably an ok guy."

PQJ
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
carbon clinchers and a 3 series...i'm really on your ***** list

You know the old saying about the difference between a porcupine and a porsche?

(FWIW, I aspire to a naturally aspirated 911 one day)

christian
04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
carbon clinchers and a 3 series...i'm really on your ***** listHa, what's right for you may not be right for me. I'm not making any judgements. And I've had my share of silly cars.

Totally depends. Is it closer to a Minerva Blue 930 or a Guards Red 996 Turbo?

Though I'll admit, I prefer my Porsches sans hairdryer. (89 911 Speedster... but if you have a line on a 87-89 Club Sport, I'm in a trading mood!)

(It's official, this thread is all about me!)

christian
04-24-2013, 11:02 AM
BTW, I don't mind BMWs either. But I like the ones that fall over if you don't put down the side stand. Shows them who's boss.

charliedid
04-24-2013, 11:12 AM
No, Z4 drivers are exempt under the clause that "If you can't tell the difference between appropriate styling for a car and an electric razor, you're probably an ok guy."

Bahahaha!

InspectorGadget
04-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Just an FYI: It's Bimmer. Beemers are motorcycles.Says who? :confused:

Please offer up the etymology or admit you pulled this out of an orifice other than your mouth. ;) [/hijack]

There is a time and place for frontier justice; the BMW driver's day is coming.

Dave B
04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a muscle car, if I hit you on a straight road my fault. If it is in a turn, then you are to blame. ;)

tuscanyswe
04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Bmw 3 series is most likely top 5 sold cars in stockholm, scary!!
Ill be on the look out!! For my father and my brother i guess .)

That looked really scary i cant believe ppl can do that to other ppl tbh.

torquer
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Do Fiskers and 1st-generation Cougars qualify?
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/04/24/business/FISKER/FISKER-articleLarge-v2.jpg
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaorx57f6kQkJk2cbRQ796ncVdvGL51 i4iGsDdE0MthEzSdcQ9

crownjewelwl
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Ha, what's right for you may not be right for me. I'm not making any judgements. And I've had my share of silly cars.

Totally depends. Is it closer to a Minerva Blue 930 or a Guards Red 996 Turbo?

Though I'll admit, I prefer my Porsches sans hairdryer. (89 911 Speedster... but if you have a line on a 87-89 Club Sport, I'm in a trading mood!)

(It's official, this thread is all about me!)

997.2...perhaps you can show me how to actually drive it

Lewis Moon
04-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Says who? :confused:

Please offer up the etymology or admit you pulled this out of an orifice other than your mouth. ;) [/hijack]

There is a time and place for frontier justice; the BMW driver's day is coming.

Bimmer vs Beemer (http://www.bimmercenter.com/article_001_name.html)

Bimmer Magazine (http://www.bimmer-mag.com/)

InspectorGadget
04-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Bimmer vs Beemer (http://www.bimmercenter.com/article_001_name.html)

Bimmer Magazine (http://www.bimmer-mag.com/)I bow to you, sir.

Lewis Moon
04-24-2013, 01:33 PM
I bow to you, sir.

No need...I'm just a recovering Bimmer owner.

slidey
04-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Hahaha...awesome line! I've always been at a loss for words when I see one of these zip by...no more!! :banana:

HenryA
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM

Real moral: If you do, do a real good job of it.

:eek:

blessthismess
04-24-2013, 11:59 PM

Although I do not support punching drivers, or anyone for that matter. I will say that the driver is totally out of line by bringing a weapon(vehicle) into the altercation. Were the driver to get out of the car and lay the cyclist out that would be one thing, but to charge him with a 3,000 pound car is taking it wayyy too far :eek: Calm down and call the cops next time. Jeeez