PDA

View Full Version : Of crashing, bike fit and such

T.J.
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
So the Speedvagen got stripped down to be shipped out. I can not, repeat can not express how badly that pains me. The only thing that pains me worse was riding it. Now before anyone jumps to any conclusions it nothing to do with the bike, it's me. That's right, the old it's me not you. As some of you know a couple of seasons ago we were winding up for the sprint in a crit and my front wheel got taken out and boom! Out cold for a few minutes and road rashed to hell and back but all things considered ok. Was sore for a while as would be expected with such a crash. The road rash healed and the soreness went away....for a while . Then slowly started creeping back in. Cracked verts and scar tissue had me in some serious pain more often than not. I loved the set up on the vagen but it was becoming painfully obvious ( pun intended ) that the 12cm of drop set up was not for me anymore. I was , if I am to be honest becoming somewhat depressed. The one thing out side of my wife and family I take great joy in was now painful.
In stepped my friend Drew and LBS owner Drew. For months he would simply say " come get my FireFly". Every time we spoke the offer was made " come get my FireFly" . It fell on deaf ears until three weeks ago as it became obvious to me something had to be done. I went and got the bike. Now don't think " damn that TJ took poor Drews bike three weeks ago and hasn't given it back!"
Don't worry, being the trooper he is , he has muddled thru by riding his Peg or his Vanilla :p
So back to picking up the bike. Got it home and first thoughts were man this looks weird. Then...I rode it. Then I rode it some more. Every day . And rode it hard. Here we set three weeks + later and I am rolling again. Power numbers are back in the solid cat2 range right where they were pre crash.
I have learned a few things. 1) change is sometimes good even though we as humans fight it tooth and nail. 2) while I already miss my SV I will know exactly how to have Sacha build the next one. 3) most importantly, Drew epitomizes the word friend. Not because he loaned me his bike( well that's part of it) but because he kept offering, not pushing, just steadily to get me back where I needed to be.

avalonracing
04-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Nice post (and I don't mean the seatpost).
That said, I'd ride that Firefly in a minute and it will be around after the SV has turned to rust.
Keep riding TJ.

firerescuefin
04-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Diggin it brother...proofs in the puddin:)

T.J.
04-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Diggin it brother...proofs in the puddin:)

Truth !

Jack Brunk
04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Good stuff TJ, your a smart dude. Any FLY is way over the edge.

JB

soulspinner
04-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Matters more you ride than what you ride. Stay with it.

cdn_bacon
04-24-2013, 06:17 AM
I don't envy your pain, your bikes yes...

Glad to see you can still ride.

Be well.

CNY rider
04-24-2013, 06:23 AM
It's all cool man.
Give me a buzz when you're ready for the front triple. I can set you up.:banana:

djg
04-24-2013, 06:54 AM
The bike looks cool, but looks-is-looks -- you are riding again, and riding the way you want to ride. And that's what's really cool. Good on ya -- keep turning those pedals.

mnoble485
04-24-2013, 06:59 AM
TJ,

Ride it like you stole it! ( well borrowed anyway)

Mike

Climb01742
04-24-2013, 07:40 AM
The best thing about humans is our humanity. Nice examples of it on both your parts.

FlashUNC
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Injuries are tough to bounce back from. My crash changed what kind of bars my hands like, and how deep a drop I can use on the bars. First time since I've started riding I prefer classic bend bars compared to a flatter ergo bend.

As others have said, the key is finding what works and getting back out there. Worse ways to adjust than riding (and enjoying the crap out of) a Firefly...

Suctionprints
04-24-2013, 09:34 AM
How do you feel about the weight balance? Is there a learning curve with the handling?

T.J.
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
How do you feel about the weight balance? Is there a learning curve with the handling?

I haven't noticed it so apparently its a non issue

Len J
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Nice post.

I broke my back riding back in 2001 and was never able to get as low as before. I compensated, like you have, with less drop and actually think I can ride longer and harder than before (when I'm in shape).

I did an endo and faceplant in early March and severly bruised my spinal cord. My biggest fear was that I was going to lose my ability to ride an upright. So far, with the help of a great PT, drugs and time, I'm back on the bike and adding time trying to find my limits.

The fear of loss for me was the worst....both times.

Good luck to you

Len

woolly
04-24-2013, 01:58 PM
What saddle-bar drop are you running on the Firefly, if I may ask?

T.J.
04-24-2013, 02:36 PM
What saddle-bar drop are you running on the Firefly, if I may ask?

It's between 6~7 cm so its been cut in half

cloudguy
04-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Whoa, thats pretty depressing. How can you live with yourself?

T.J.
04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Whoa, thats pretty depressing. How can you live with yourself?

Sarcastic much?;)

pdmtong
04-24-2013, 11:44 PM
It's between 6~7 cm so its been cut in half

i started out with 3cm and am now riding 8cm. thought I was doing great until someone shows up who was riding 12 and now throttling back to 7.

beeatnik
04-25-2013, 12:58 AM
I run 12cm of drop on my fast bikes and 9cm on my "comfy" bike. I'm not particularly flexible but I probably have longish legs for my height. In any case the fast bikes and the comfy bike feel equally uncomfortable unless I don't think about comfort and just ride. When I'm done riding there's never any pain. However, as TJ is aware, I was recently creamed by a car so who knows if I'll be running 3cm of drop in the future. Either way, slammed stems, short head tubes, pro saddle to bar drop, I guess it looks good but in the end as long as you dig your bike and your riding it's all academic.

Peter B
04-25-2013, 08:37 AM
i started out with 3cm and am now riding 8cm. thought I was doing great until someone shows up who was riding 12 and now throttling back to 7.

It's just a lone number. The fit is the fit atmo.

(with apologies to eR).