PDA

View Full Version : How to remedy a seized zipper

veggieburger
04-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Just received an Arundel Dual with a seized zipper. I'm talking green from the salt water....this baby is frozen. What's a good penetrating spray that won't harm the canvas? Should I start with WD40, then move to progressively stronger chemicals?

:confused:

AngryScientist
04-23-2013, 12:23 PM
get a candle.

drip hot wax on the zipper.

seriously. works.

veggieburger
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
get a candle.

drip hot wax on the zipper.

seriously. works.

Ok. Once I'm done dripping hot wax on my nipples, I'll put a little on the zipper and see if it works.

(oops, there I go using my inside voice again)

crownjewelwl
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Ok. Once I'm done dripping hot wax on my nipples, I'll put a little on the zipper and see if it works.

(oops, there I go using my inside voice again)

willem defoe in body of evidence deserved a oscar nod for that

1/2 Wheeler
04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Some good advice here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/seized-zippers-264594.html

I would start with working it with some well carbonated soda like it is a battery terminal.

MattTuck
04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Not that it helps answer your question, but zippers are truly fascinating.

I don't know what the heck goes on inside that little movable part of it, but it's pretty amazing when you think about it... have you ever tried to push two sides of a zipper together? Good luck.

yet that little piece of plastic or metal can go up and down all day putting it together and taking it apart...

shovelhd
04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Arundel customer service is outstanding. When the zipper on mine froze up, they sent me a new one.

veggieburger
04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Arundel customer service is outstanding. When the zipper on mine froze up, they sent me a new one.

If I thought there was a defect in the product, I'd certainly email them. However, I think it's just a saltwater thing, no fault of Arundel's.

And YES, zippers are fascinating!

67-59
04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
"That's the second biggest zipper I've ever seen...."

Andrewlcox
04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Make sure it doesn't have a release lever inside the zipper carrier. It is released if the tab is pulled up accurately releasing the lever and allowing the zipper to slide.

I just learned this the other day when I couldn't unzip our "unmentionables" laundry bag. It has a safety lever inside the zipper so it won't unzip unless the tab is pulled.

saf-t
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
This stuff is terrific- I've been using it for years on all of my fishing tackle, PFD zippers, etc.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1tW3wL9YW3k/S_vdfqfzRKI/AAAAAAAAAgw/Fe8l2XZLti0/s1600/957002_2.jpg

echelon_john
04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
* bites tongue, keeps silent. but oh, the possibilities... *

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1tW3wL9YW3k/S_vdfqfzRKI/AAAAAAAAAgw/Fe8l2XZLti0/s1600/957002_2.jpg[/QUOTE]

veggieburger
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm home now, still no luck.
I started with a small squirt of tri-flow, let it sit, no dice. Then I tried angryscientist's wax idea, but it didn't budge. Tried some Fluid Film, nothing. The slider and the zipper are like one solid mass!

Next step, extraction...:banana:

gdw
04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Try putting a few drops of a cola soda, coke or pepsi, on it and letting it sit for a few minutes. That should free the slider so that it will move away from the area with the buildup. Dunk a toothbrush in the soda and lightly scrub the area where the sider was stuck to remove the buildup and lubricate the track when it drys by rubbing a candle along it.

Louis
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
If nothing else works, just take it to the LOLSRS (little old ladies seamstresses repair shop) and have them replace the whole zipper.

johnmdesigner
04-23-2013, 07:11 PM
I hate waste but wasting time is also bad.
The bag costs about $15.00. Order a new one.

Louis
04-23-2013, 07:19 PM

You're probably right. I went down the "replace the zipper" route because I'm thinking of doing that for an oldish "Alfa Romeo" Giordana jersey I got the other day off e-bay. (seller did mention the bad zipper) I've been looking for a jersey like this for years, so in my case I'm happy to spend a few more bucks to spruce it up.

It might not be worth it to the OP.

veggieburger
04-23-2013, 09:48 PM
I hate waste but wasting time is also bad.

It's a labor of love.
Also, this silly little experience ignites the competitiveness in me...veggieburger vs the zipper.

Louis
04-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Also, this silly little experience ignites the competitiveness in me...veggieburger vs the zipper.

Sort of like my first date years ago with a woman - a bike ride, and on the way home we were catching up with some little kids on BMX bikes. They took off in a sprint, and of course I had to chase them. Happily I caught and passed them, but I doubt it was a very impressive victory, since they were about 12 yrs old.

djg
04-24-2013, 07:02 AM
willem defoe in body of evidence deserved a oscar nod for that

Best inaccessible yet creepy performance by a talented actor slumming?

veggieburger
04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Well....sad to report the zipper won. After an application of about 19 different solvents, I wrapped the slider in a piece of towel, then gripped it with a pair of needle nose pliers. It broke into 4 different pieces.

I guess the cancer went deeper than I thought.

:mad: