PDA

View Full Version : OT: Eating Fire!!

William
04-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Eating Fire
Why do people feel compelled to put the world’s spiciest chili peppers in their mouths? http://forum.jphip.com/Smileys/default/emoticon_pepper.gif

I’ve always wanted to be the kind of guy who eats really spicy things. Nobody wants to be the wimp who orders the mild Buffalo wings when everyone else at the table is opting for “nuclear.” But I also never wanted to be the guy with tears of pain running down his face, reaching for the bread and choking out a request for a glass of milk. Jalapeņos were about as hot as I would go, and only in small doses—preferably diffused by a hefty dose of cheese and tortilla chips. If you had asked me the week before I did it, I would have scoffed at the notion of voluntarily chewing and swallowing the world’s hottest pepper.
Peppers taste hot because of a chemical called capsaicin that causes our nerve cells to react as if they have been burned, though without doing any actual damage. The amount of capsaicin in a pepper is measured on a scale of Scoville units.....Ultra-hot peppers occupy a unique role in the West. They have been created specifically for the purpose of being horribly painful to people (usually men) who deliberately inflict this pain on themselves—typically in front of others. Other cultures have analogs of this behavior....

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/04/butch_t_scorpion_pepper_why_do_people_feel_compell ed_to_eat_the_world_s.html

I like hot peppers but I don't think I want to try one of those. There are whole youtube pages of folks eating these things????
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eating+butch+t+pepper&oq=eating+butch&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0.1317.10701.0.12996.20.11.5.1.1. 0.129.809.10j1.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.zudYG2zywA0

William

Ken Robb
04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
For controllable heat I like Penzeys "Black and Red" which is a tasty blend of find ground peppers. A heavy dose would blow my socks off but judicious use can add a nice background heat to many dishes. One favorite use is adding it to teriaki marinade to get a sweet/hot balance.

MattTuck
04-23-2013, 12:17 PM
This video is hilarious.

Millions of years of evolution have led the pepper to be so unappetizing that it is inedible... this guy is literally demonstrating biology.

William
04-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Interesting comment, I wonder if it really works to get the flavor without so much heat?

One sensible thing that night was Jenny wondering how to get that first blast of unique pepper flavor w/o all the pain. Put a cup or more of olive oil in a medium sauce pan, add a cup of coarsely chopped green pimento olives, and one or two chopped Butch T peppers, seeds & all. Bring to simmer, cook for 5 minutes. Over pasta. Simmering in oil seems to tame the heat but leaves the flavor.

William

SpokeValley
04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
This video is hilarious.

Millions of years of evolution have led the pepper to be so unappetizing that it is inedible... this guy is literally demonstrating biology.

He thinks it hurts now, just wait until tomorrow..the experience ain't over until the paperwork is done. :p;)