PDA

View Full Version : How steep is steep?

Sandy
11-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I wonder what the steepest hill is that anyone has climbed on a bike.

Having no clue about that, what is the steepest hill that you have ever climbed and how long was it at that incline?

Steep Sandy

PBWrench
11-26-2005, 03:24 PM
The "Big Nasty" on the Moab (Utah) Century Ride has a 3000 foot climb over 7 miles. Steep enough for me.

dirtdigger88
11-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Cadance and I did a ride a few weeks ago that ended with a climb that was about 1 mile long (so short) but there is a 20% grade kick in the end-

Its like doing squats on a bike- :crap:

Jason

Sandy
11-26-2005, 03:56 PM
3,000 feet in 7 miles! That is VERY impressive! In only 7 miles!

Sandy

znfdl
11-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Sandy:

The longest steepest climb that I did was in Lancaster County, 1/2 mile long with a minimum grade of 15% and I was told a maximum of 20% or so. I was glad that I had my triple with a 30X25 gear.

Zinophile.

Sandy
11-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Great pictures. That hill looks scarey steep! Sure it wasn't in a car?? :)

Scared Steep Sandy

dirtdigger88
11-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Sure it wasn't in a car?? :)

yes the picture was taken from a car- the last thing I could do while climbing that thing is take a picture of it-

the picture is actually from last summer- but the hill is the same-

Jason

Sandy
11-26-2005, 04:02 PM
1/2 mile at 15%-20% or so is quite an achievement. Did you average 15-20mph on the climb?? :D :D

Snail Sandy

Sandy
11-26-2005, 04:03 PM
yes the picture was taken from a car- the last thing I could do while climbing that thing is take a picture of it-

the picture is actually from last summer- but the hill is the same-

Jason

Which direction did you go? Up or down?? :rolleyes: :) :) :)

dirtdigger88
11-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Which direction did you go? Up or down?? :rolleyes: :) :) :)

both- well I went down it the day before- its fun to hit 60 mph and not have to pedal- :D

Cadance and I went the bad way- up it- though I will admit- Cadance made it look a whole bunch easier than I did- :beer:

Jason

Andreu
11-26-2005, 04:11 PM
There was a race I did earlier in the year with over 3000 mts of vertical climbing in the Pyrenees (I couldn't tell you how much climbing in road miles but horizontal distance was about 70 miles) in 30ºC heat - it was the worst race I have ever done in my life. Catalogue of disasters too boring to go into here.
But nothing compares to Ventoux (and I was only training on it). It is a monster.
Personally, I think Angliru would be a calvary - one day I will give it a go when I get over the Pyreenean jaunt and Ventoux.

The mountains themselves if done alone are not that bad....the problem lies in the miles (and type of miles e.g. on the rivet racing) you do before the climb - remember the pros do Angliru after maybe 150 km....that is the challenge. I did Ventoux after about 70 km and it was enough to knock the stuffing out of me (and most of the guys I was training with too!).
There is a local road at 18% - great training road but is "only" 2 or 3 km long (local pros do 6 or 7 intervals on it).

Ventoux
Start town : Malaucene
Starting Altitude : 340 metres
Distance : 21 kilometres
Vertical Climb : 1550 metres
Gradient :7.2% average - 11% maximum

Portalet is a baby in steepness but is long:
Distancia: 27,2 km; Desnivel: 929m, %medio: 3,5% Altitude: 1794 m.

Angliru por Santa Eulalia (NOT DONE YET)
Distancia: 17,7 km. Desnivel: 1403 m. Pendiente Media: 7,93 % Coeficiente: 516

A

Sandy
11-26-2005, 05:22 PM
What amazes me is that the pros do the long mountainous stages after previous long stages and with equally long stages to go. In addition, the avg. speed is just remarkable. Their ability to ride at the pace that they do one day and recover enough to do it again the next day is what I find almost astonishing.

Sandy

Elefantino
11-26-2005, 05:33 PM
I second Ventoux, which was the toughest thing I have ever done (in 30x23).

But Hogpen Gap near Dahlonega, Ga., is right up there. 2,600 feet of climbing, 7 miles, some sections in the middle at 15%. And it's the fourth of six climbs in the Six Gap Century. A 30x28 was the only way I made that.

The last K up to the top of the Galibier is only 12 percent, but it's at 8,500 feet.

Sandy
11-26-2005, 05:37 PM
I thought we had all human posters on this forum. I think some of them are mountain goats. We surely have some real climbers here. :)

Sandy

mwos
11-26-2005, 05:37 PM
The "Big Nasty" on the Moab (Utah) Century Ride has a 3000 foot climb over 7 miles. Steep enough for me.

I did that ride last year. The climb didn't bother me, it was the downhill that freaked me out. It was the first mtn pass I had ever ridden and I was so scared I got off my bike and walked. A couple of volunteers were at the spot where the road comes to a T, they put my bike in their car and drove me to the sag stop. I was able to ride in from there.

I still shake thinking how scary that downhill was!

Kathi

Sandy
11-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I remember vividly the climb to Lake Desolation at Saratoga Springs. It was a long steady climb for me, but that part wasn't too bad, at least as compared to the descent. On the way down, I was with Rapid Tourist and Spoke. Rapid Tourist started first and was moving right along. Spoke seemed to hang back for a while. Then I saw to my left a vehicle that I actually thought was a motorcycle. But as it passed me, I realized that it was Spoke on his Serotta.

I am not ashamed to say (not too much, anyway) that the descent down the hill scared me, and I stopped more than once. At the bottom, everyone was waiting for me, and I felt embarrassed.

Slow on the way up, but slower on the way down,

Sandy

mjb266
11-26-2005, 06:08 PM
There's a hill in Bucks County PA called Uhlerstown that is just off the Deleware. The think is in horrible shape and must be straight up!

PBWrench
11-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Kathi -- I agree. The descent from the Big Nasty was more mentally taxing than the climb. Rather than drummers at the first pass they might have employed a trumpeteer for "taps." Great ride though!

David Kirk
11-26-2005, 07:13 PM
There is a climb in Rome NY where I grew up called Gifford Hill. It is bizarrely steep and as steep and anything I've ever ridden. It goes up a hill that is right next to a ski area for some reference. It's short (about 6/10 miles) but goes up 650 feet vertical with a grade at the top that is 22%. We used to do repeats on this thing. Good fun. it's steep enough that if you zig-zag it you'll clip a pedal when going across.

I worked at a little shop in Rome back then and we held a road race that finished at the top of Gifford Hill for a euro-style mountain top finish. You can't see the final steep stretch as you start the climb and everyone who didn't check out the course ahead of time was ready for a sprint finish......big ring and all.

Many folks fell over trying to get out of thier big rings. It was a real sight to see people running up the hill in thier socks.

If you are ever in the area try Gifford or go across the small valley and go up Quaker Hill Road. It's not quite as steep but almost.........but it is about 3 times the length. Absolutely brutal and fun.

Dave

fiamme red
11-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Sandy, I thought you once said you climbed the Washington Monument? And you're asking us how steep is steep? :p

gasman
11-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Here's the link to the steepest street I have ridden up when we lived in New Zealand. I barely was able to climb it on a mtn bike with a 30x28 gearing.I also did a fun run race up and down. Short but very intense and I couldn't run the last 20 yards or so.
www.travelplanner.co.nz/articles/index.cfm?aid=3

vandeda
11-26-2005, 07:46 PM
I remember vividly the climb to Lake Desolation at Saratoga Springs. It was a long steady climb for me, but that part wasn't too bad, at least as compared to the descent.

Sandy

Oh my gosh Sandy ... I was up in Saratoga getting a fitting a couple months ago (late August, early September ... something like that). I'm not sure what I was thinking when I did this. But ... I rode up to Saratoga for the fitting, which is about a 25 mile ride I think. Nothing too special. But I had decided I was going to climb Lake Desolation since it was in the area. I was wise in my choice of bikes ...

fixed gear

with pannier bags

sandals for part of the way up at least ... at some point i switched to closed shoes because of the .....

broken pinky toe that hurt ...

dumb decison?

you bet.

But the steepest I've hit is the last climb to Camp Pinnacle in Thatcher Park. I'm not sure what the grade is ... I gotta imagine around 20%, but I really have no clue. You want to hear another dumb decision? I did that climb ... on the 2nd day ever on my fixed gear. Lost all forward motion between pedal strokes. I think I'm a dumbass haha.

Dan

ergott
11-26-2005, 07:54 PM
The Rockpile

4727ft in 7.6 miles.

I know there are a couple of guys here that know what I'm talking about. Now's a good time to plan that group ride in July. For just $25 (the practice run) you can see what you are really made of.

"Practice Ride date is Sunday, July 16. For 2006 you will register for the Practice Ride on line through Bikereg.com. More information to come."

www.tinmtn.org

cycleman_21
11-26-2005, 08:15 PM
The Rockpile

4727ft in 7.6 miles.

I know there are a couple of guys here that know what I'm talking about. Now's a good time to plan that group ride in July. For just $25 (the practice run) you can see what you are really made of.

"Practice Ride date is Sunday, July 16. For 2006 you will register for the Practice Ride on line through Bikereg.com. More information to come."

www.tinmtn.org

I would love to train and do this event, the only thing that concerns me is the getting back down part. I know they dont let you ride back down (and I wouldn't want to) but I would be coming alone and then what? Guess I'll start thinking of building a GRUNT bike :help:

Ron C

H.Frank Beshear
11-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Mile 78 starts at a 17% grade and then sort of levels out :rolleyes: for an 8-12% climb for the next 8 miles. There are 3 more steep(16-17%) climbs in the next 30 miles. Thats why we call it a challenging ride. The next day we have the climb that never ends, 10 miles 8% grade and its in the first 10 miles and the legs are still screaming at you. I look forward to it everyear :crap: Frank

vandeda
11-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I would love to train and do this event, the only thing that concerns me is the getting back down part. I know they dont let you ride back down (and I wouldn't want to) but I would be coming alone and then what? Guess I'll start thinking of building a GRUNT bike :help:

Ron C

Ron ... from what I read on their website, you have to prove you have someone there to drive you down as you're not allowed to ride down.

However, Climb01742 is trying to setup a group from the Serotta forum to do the ride next year. Here's the thread: http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10605

Dan

manet
11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Here's the link to the steepest street I have ridden up when we lived in New Zealand. I barely was able to climb it on a mtn bike with a 30x28 gearing.I also did a fun run race up and down. Short but very intense and I couldn't run the last 20 yards or so.
www.travelplanner.co.nz/articles/index.cfm?aid=3

snipped from article:

'Baldwin Street IS steep - maximum gradient 1 in 2.9 angle over 38 degrees.'

_ hello

slowgoing
11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
the only thing that concerns me is the getting back down part.

That's about the least of my concerns. My biggest is how to get up that darn mountain.

Sandy
11-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Oh my gosh Sandy ... I was up in Saratoga getting a fitting a couple months ago (late August, early September ... something like that). I'm not sure what I was thinking when I did this. But ... I rode up to Saratoga for the fitting, which is about a 25 mile ride I think. Nothing too special. But I had decided I was going to climb Lake Desolation since it was in the area. I was wise in my choice of bikes ...

fixed gear

with pannier bags

sandals for part of the way up at least ... at some point i switched to closed shoes because of the .....

broken pinky toe that hurt ...

dumb decison?

you bet.

But the steepest I've hit is the last climb to Camp Pinnacle in Thatcher Park. I'm not sure what the grade is ... I gotta imagine around 20%, but I really have no clue. You want to hear another dumb decision? I did that climb ... on the 2nd day ever on my fixed gear. Lost all forward motion between pedal strokes. I think I'm a dumbass haha.

Dan

"I think that I'm a dumbass ha ha." I seriously doubt that. But one thing for sure, you are one strong dude (or dudette).

Sandy

Sandy
11-26-2005, 09:56 PM
We undobtedly have some really excellent cyclists here. The climbs sound absolutely brutal and impossible for me. Does the fact that some of you want to do them again or actually train on them indicate lack of oxygen to the brain?? :) :)

I really marvel at what some of you have accomplished in climbing.

Looking up at the top, and deciding to stay on the bottom,

Sandy

vandeda
11-26-2005, 09:58 PM
"I think that I'm a dumbass ha ha." I seriously doubt that. But one thing for sure, you are one strong dude (or dudette).

Sandy

Hahaha ... oh my gosh ... if you could only see how scrawny I am ... I volunteer in youth ministry ... when you have 15 yr olds saying "oh my gosh, your legs are so skinny" ... yeah .... I don't think I need to go on :banana:

Dan
5'3", 125 lbs of pure fury

george
11-26-2005, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=Sandy]What amazes me is that the pros do the long mountainous stages after previous long stages and with equally long stages to go. In addition, the avg. speed is just remarkable. Their ability to ride at the pace that they do one day and recover enough to do it again the next day is what I find almost astonishing.

Ditto Sandy on your thoughts on the pro peloton...astonishing, incredible, impossible? and do I dare say almost "unhumanlike?" and to think that the AVERAGE speed of the entire distance of major tours are between 24 and 25 mph!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy
11-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Sandy, I thought you once said you climbed the Washington Monument? And you're asking us how steep is steep? :p

You have a great memory. I actually climbed it twice. I didn't want to mention it here and minimize the accompishments mentioned by others herein. I want to remain humble! :rolleyes: :)

Sandy

Sandy
11-26-2005, 10:15 PM
:D Hahaha ... oh my gosh ... if you could only see how scrawny I am ... I volunteer in youth ministry ... when you have 15 yr olds saying "oh my gosh, your legs are so skinny" ... yeah .... I don't think I need to go on :banana:

Dan
5'3", 125 lbs of pure fury

You are the kind of guys that I could get to dislike very easily! :D :D

Sandy
6'0", 225 lbs of pure fat

Ozz
11-26-2005, 10:21 PM
"Asphalt" mag ran a story in one of their issues about Fargo street in LA. It is only about a 1000 feet long, but averages 30%, with the steepest at 33%.

Sounds pretty steep to me, and a hill to find a route around.

gasman
11-26-2005, 10:42 PM
snipped from article:

_ hello

Yep.
Baldwin street is listed in the Guiness Book as the steepest in the world.
I'm not sure that is true but it is really steep. I know I couldn't get up it on my road bike without some lower gearing.

ada@prorider.or
11-26-2005, 11:37 PM
rode one at my good time (long time ago)
at 32 %
i was dead after words never recoverd anymore

Andreu
11-27-2005, 02:04 AM
I love mountains (and mountain stories) and this is my favourite cycling photo:
http://grahamwatson.com/dublin/lemond/image8.html
It demonstrates the intensity in the eyes of the riders as they search for the top of the mountain.

A :beer: :beer:

The Spider
11-27-2005, 03:06 AM
23% this was done 2 months ago with a 42/25 gear and it's the second steepest.

Steepest was the KOM point for the tour down under one year 40km outside Adeliade, it's called 'checkers hil and in a 39/25 you actually stopped forward movement inbetween pedal strokes. The crowd cheered only after I went past, they all thought I wasn't going to make it (neither did I!).

however...steep stuff is all about gearing...people were very easily riding MTB's in 22/28 or 32 up the hill.

We train on a street at 16.3% and do multiple laps each week...that's cool.

dauwhe
11-27-2005, 09:28 AM
however...steep stuff is all about gearing...people were very easily riding MTB's in 22/28 or 32 up the hill.

Wise words indeed. Toughest hill I've done is Lincoln Gap in Vermont. The top 1.4 miles averages over 15%, with stretches up to 24%.

Makes Mt. Asctuney (3.7 miles at 11.7% average with 19% max) seem easy!

D2R2 had a 25% stretch on dirt. Luckily it was short.

Dave Cramer
Brattleboro, VT
low gear: 24 x 32

Ray
11-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Some climbs that seem steep when I'm out of shape don't seem that steep when I'm in shape. My break point for steep is somewhere in the 12-15% range. Less than that, I can always find the gears to climb comfortably. More than that, I never can - I just have to grunt my way up (unless its REALLY short in which case I may be able to stay fairly strong out of the saddle). In that 12-15 range, it depends on my conditioning and how long the climb is. There are a lot of 15-18% climbs around where I live and ride that will rip your legs off but only for a half mile or so, occasionally a bit longer. I'm used to suffering through these (I'm never fast on them, but I can get up them one way or another). I've also done some climbs (a couple in Wales come to mind) that were signed at 20% and 25%, but also not very long - the biggest problem was keeping the front wheel on the ground.

The hardest climbs I've done are consistently over 12% and at least a couple miles long. Too steep to really get into a good easy rhythm and too long to power them out without some real suffering. I get WAAAAY up into the HR zones on climbs like this, and am happy to have any low gears I can find. If my lowest gear is 34x27, I'll try to survive in that. If I've got a 34x34, I'll use that. If I've got a 24x32 (which I have on one bike), I'm not to proud to use the sucker for short stretches. I've done climbs in Nova Scotia (a little over three miles) and Colorado (6-7 miles on dirt) like this and made them but pretty much hated every moment. These have tought me better than to try Mt. Washington, which I might or might not make without walking but would hate either way.

That said, the toughest climb I ever did was one of the typical half mile 12-15% climbs around here that I did on a fixie when I was younger and dumber. There was a short 8% shelf in the middle where I stopped and collected my lungs from off of the pavement, but I didn't walk any of it. Rode the whole sucker. Cadence rarely above 20 rpm. Never tried anything like that again.

Sandy, you don't have to be a good climber to do these climbs - just persistent. And you can't be trying to keep up with anyone faster than you are. If I do these at my own pace, I'm OK. If I try to hang with stronger riders (which I occasionally get away with on less steep grades), I'll blow so fast I won't even know what happened.

-Ray

ergott
11-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Some climbs that seem steep when I'm out of shape don't seem that steep when I'm in shape. My break point for steep is somewhere in the 12-15% range. Less than that, I can always find the gears to climb comfortably. More than that, I never can - I just have to grunt my way up (unless its REALLY short in which case I may be able to stay fairly strong out of the saddle). In that 12-15 range, it depends on my conditioning and how long the climb is. There are a lot of 15-18% climbs around where I live and ride that will rip your legs off but only for a half mile or so, occasionally a bit longer. I'm used to suffering through these (I'm never fast on them, but I can get up them one way or another). I've also done some climbs (a couple in Wales come to mind) that were signed at 20% and 25%, but also not very long - the biggest problem was keeping the front wheel on the ground.

The hardest climbs I've done are consistently over 12% and at least a couple miles long. Too steep to really get into a good easy rhythm and too long to power them out without some real suffering. I get WAAAAY up into the HR zones on climbs like this, and am happy to have any low gears I can find. If my lowest gear is 34x27, I'll try to survive in that. If I've got a 34x34, I'll use that. If I've got a 24x32 (which I have on one bike), I'm not to proud to use the sucker for short stretches. I've done climbs in Nova Scotia (a little over three miles) and Colorado (6-7 miles on dirt) like this and made them but pretty much hated every moment. These have tought me better than to try Mt. Washington, which I might or might not make without walking but would hate either way.

That said, the toughest climb I ever did was one of the typical half mile 12-15% climbs around here that I did on a fixie when I was younger and dumber. There was a short 8% shelf in the middle where I stopped and collected my lungs from off of the pavement, but I didn't walk any of it. Rode the whole sucker. Cadence rarely above 20 rpm. Never tried anything like that again.

Sandy, you don't have to be a good climber to do these climbs - just persistent. And you can't be trying to keep up with anyone faster than you are. If I do these at my own pace, I'm OK. If I try to hang with stronger riders (which I occasionally get away with on less steep grades), I'll blow so fast I won't even know what happened.

-Ray

Popping on a climb is probably the worst thing ever. I totally understand how guys lose over an hour on one climb in a race. When you don't got it, it really shows on the ups.

Orin
11-28-2005, 01:35 AM
Steepest I rode was marked 1 in 3 in the North York Moors in England. I was riding a 67" fixed that day... I had to zig-zag...

Orin.

William
11-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Have you ever climbed Car Hill or NW 23rd (or 24th, I forget exactly) in Bellevue? Both of those hills from Medina to the Clyde Hill were very steep as I remember them. Zig zag time to get to the top...at least on my old Schwinn Scrambler & Varsity.

William

Climb01742
11-28-2005, 05:07 AM
mt washington. no contest.

William
11-28-2005, 05:23 AM
mt washington. no contest.

You got it from "THE MAN". He knows.

William ;)

jeffg
11-29-2005, 03:21 AM
Thinking about the toughest climbs I have done, it really matters how fresh you are when you hit them. Some I would love to have ridden fresh:

Passo Giau: 10.2km @ 9.3%. I have ridden this twice, both times after riding the Sella Ring and a few other bumps along the way as part of the Dolomite Marathon. Each time it has hurt, and I cracked a bit last time since I went out too fast. The other time it didn't seem too terrible since I had saved my strength and took it at a reasonable tempo.

Stohren Strasse (near Freiburg): This one starts at about 9%, kicks often at 15-20% and averages 12%+ for about two miles. Then it levels off before kicking back to 8% for the last mile and a half or so. I have always had at least one 10+km climb in my legs before trying it, so it hurts, though each time a 39X29 was sufficient. I would be happy to use a 34X27/29 next time ...

Sierra Road and Ft. Ross Road (Northern California): These are both very similar in character to the tough part of the Stohren or Devil's Kitchen near Saugerties, NY, i.e. two miles+ of 12% average with 18-20% kicks. I have always done these as part of organized rides and have never hit either with less than 100+ miles in the legs. Often the pain on these climbs is almost cathartic -- much worse than my two ascensions of Ventoux from Bedoin since I was not foolish enough to try Ventoux at the end of a long ride (and the ride organizers of La Ventoux have the sense to have the riders do the Bedoin route first a climb from Sault to Chalet Reynard at the end).

http://mammary.nih.gov/lgp/cycling/favorites/Dolomites-2004/Giau.html

What would I like to try? I wish they had an L'Etape equivalent at the Giro this year riding the Tonale, Gavia & Mortirolo! Ouch!

xcandrew
11-29-2005, 06:33 AM
snipped from article:

_ hello

The person who wrote that article doesn't know geometry. 1 in 2.9 is 34.5% grade, which is 19 degrees. 38 degrees is a misstatement by a factor of two! I found another more reliable reference to that road that confirms that the steepest part of that road is 1 in 2.86, or 35% grade (19.3 degrees).

My steepest hill is a dirt erosion gully that I messed around with on the campus of UCLA behind the dorms when I was a student there (in the late 80s) using a mountain bike borrowed from my roommate. Looking at a topo map now, it looks like it's around a 30 percent grade. It didn't look possible to ride at first with the loose dirt, rocks sticking out, and erosion grooves (made picking a good line very important). There was also the common off road problem of balancing rear tire traction with front wheel lift off and control. It was slippery enough to climb up on foot, but I eventually mastered it (had plenty of time to waste/play ;) ). Going down that hill was scary too... looking down from the top it seems like a cliff and you get a little rush going over the edge.

Ken Lehner
11-29-2005, 07:56 AM
3,000 feet in 7 miles! That is VERY impressive! In only 7 miles!

Sandy

That's "only" about 8%.

Ken Lehner
11-29-2005, 08:21 AM
The Hillier Than Thou Century here in NJ is a century ride (duh!) that typically has about 11,000' of climbing (they change the route every year); ione can do it as a time trial: the winning time is usually around 5:40 (I did it in 5:58 one year for 5th). In the middle is the traditional Fiddlers Elbow climb. Counting the hill prior to it (with only about .2mi of flat between them), it's over 1000' of climbing. FE itself is 1.5mi at an average of 14.6%, with the steepest bit over 22%.

Ozz
11-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Have you ever climbed Car Hill or NW 23rd (or 24th, I forget exactly) in Bellevue? Both of those hills from Medina to the Clyde Hill were very steep as I remember them. Zig zag time to get to the top...at least on my old Schwinn Scrambler & Varsity.

William
William,

I live on the top of Clyde Hill, so I do NE 24th on nearly evey ride. I mostly go up from the east side, so it is not as steep. I did the west side, uh, once. It was early in the season and I needed to pull into a cul-de-sac about 2/3 the way up to let the HR settle down. I plan on doing it again, when I am a bit more fit. ;)

The inclinometer (sp?) on my bike computer showed the hill to be 13-15%. Not sure how accurate it is....

Here's a topo of the hill: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=47.63194&lon=-122.21666&s=50&layer=DRG25&size=l&u=2

Cheers.

William
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
William,

I live on the top of Clyde Hill, so I do NE 24th on nearly evey ride. I mostly go up from the east side, so it is not as steep. I did the west side, uh, once. It was early in the season and I needed to pull into a cul-de-sac about 2/3 the way up to let the HR settle down. I plan on doing it again, when I am a bit more fit. ;)

The inclinometer (sp?) on my bike computer showed the hill to be 13-15%. Not sure how accurate it is....

Here's a topo of the hill: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=47.63194&lon=-122.21666&s=50&layer=DRG25&size=l&u=2

Cheers.

I lived on Clyde Hill also. NW 23rd, 5th house down from the elementary school. There used to be an open field across the street (between 23rd & 24th) that had a community center at the top of the hill. I think part of the reason my legs got so big was from riding up all those hills every day on my bike or skateboard. I would never walk, just keep pumping my board up those hills until my quads were engorged, on fire, and felt like they were going to explode. I my nagging back injury was initially from racing down the west side of NW 24th and wiping out at the bottom, hitting my tailbone on one of those raised reflectors in the middle of the road. Messed up ever since.
It's grown a lot since I lived there. Nice area.

Go do Carr when you feel "fit" :D . It's shorter but steeper. I used to race down that one too....luge style on a 4ft board, long before the X-games came along. Hit 60 for the first time on that one.

Sorry for reminiscing there. Go climb Ozz. ;)

William

SGP
11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
but, my personal demon is bopple hill on the highlander tour

www.highlandercycletour.com

OldDog
11-29-2005, 04:00 PM
My wife and I were riding one weekend while camping. Climbing a short steep hill back into the campground, I was standing when my chain broke. I rolled backwards about 12 - 15 feet before I had the sense to hit the brakes, but did not get unclipped in time before falling over. In a flash I was over on my side, to my back with my fairly new Spectrum pointing wheels to the sky, not a scratch on the bike. My wife grabbed the bike as I unclipped and I lay there laughing like an idiot for about 3 minuits before I had to move or be hit by an RV chugging up the grade.

Ah, good times on the bike...

ti_boi
11-29-2005, 10:10 PM
midnight...no lights....on mtb bikes...half drunk...with my oldest surfing/rugby pal on earth....Blazing down HORSENECK ROAD in MONTVILLE, NJ...probably 4 miles at 40 grade...(guestimate) curves and winds with smooth, smooth surface. We two were giggling like schoolkids!!! It was a blast. Somewhere in the 35 mph range with the screaming of the shimano gears and a lil wobble....pure adrenaline. Plus to top it off a police cruiser came down right after us and basically just ignored the two thirty something men on the shiny toys acting out -- thanks Officer!

Vermont between the Weston and Okemo and some other little ski resort was tops for struggle up and down on a hardtail c-dale of all things! NEVER leave home without the Serotta! My new mantra.

Orin
11-30-2005, 01:18 AM
William and Ozz,

Have you played on Hollywood Hill in Woodinville? There are several ways from Avondale up to 168th Ave, all of which are quite entertaining ;)

Sunday, my group didn't want to go up NE 133rd from Avondale (steep and 100 yards of easy off-road through a field), so I asked if they wanted to try something different... they said yes, so we went up 171st Pl NE instead (even steeper - insert evil grin). It's the road coming off the intersection of 168th Ave and 160th St in this topozone map (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5287967&e=566912&s=50&size=l&u=2&layer=DRG25). It's one of those roads where you go around a corner and it looks vertical in front of you. Yes, the map is so old the road isn't shown as going through to NE 165th St.

Orin.

rdrtom50
11-30-2005, 01:28 AM
http://www.chainreaction.com/sonora_pass.htm

Follow the link and see photos, read description of one of our fun rides here in the wild wild west.

William
11-30-2005, 04:54 AM
William and Ozz,

Have you played on Hollywood Hill in Woodinville? There are several ways from Avondale up to 168th Ave, all of which are quite entertaining ;)

Sunday, my group didn't want to go up NE 133rd from Avondale (steep and 100 yards of easy off-road through a field), so I asked if they wanted to try something different... they said yes, so we went up 171st Pl NE instead (even steeper - insert evil grin). It's the road coming off the intersection of 168th Ave and 160th St in this topozone map (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5287967&e=566912&s=50&size=l&u=2&layer=DRG25). It's one of those roads where you go around a corner and it looks vertical in front of you. Yes, the map is so old the road isn't shown as going through to NE 165th St.

Orin.

It's been a while, but it seems to me that there was a hill that we used to luge down that was out that way? We were always looking for big hills to blast down. It was a blast except, I used to burn through pairs of shoes every couple of weeks back then. No leathers, no pads, no helmets, no brains. ;)
Now a days they wear full gear.
http://www.chrismcb.com/streetluge/images/98/templin/PIC1.jpg

William

Ozz
11-30-2005, 06:59 AM
...Now a days they wear full gear....
wimps.....

Orin,

I got married at the"Hollywood Schoolhouse", but have never ridden up that hill....yeah, looks "fun". Now I have to at least check it out.....

BTW - Good BBQ place across the corner from the schoolhouse....yum.

jeffg
11-30-2005, 09:07 AM
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/,rl1/reise/artikel/937/62875/

bluesea
11-30-2005, 10:04 AM
http://www.chainreaction.com/sonora_pass.htm

Follow the link and see photos, read description of one of our fun rides here in the wild wild west.

Lots of great rides!

Sandy
11-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Lots of great rides!

Neat link.

greengrass

jeffg
11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Neat link.

greengrass

seemed to have more difficulty on Ventoux!

http://www.chainreaction.com/letape2000.htm

Orin
11-30-2005, 12:37 PM
wimps.....

Orin,

I got married at the"Hollywood Schoolhouse", but have never ridden up that hill....yeah, looks "fun". Now I have to at least check it out.....

BTW - Good BBQ place across the corner from the schoolhouse....yum.

It's one of the easier ways up the hill from the Hollywood Schoolhouse ;) I live a couple of miles north from there, so I frequently 'arrange' to come down this side of the hill on the rides I lead. Our current route is usually 146th Way off Avondale, left on 186th Pl, bear right on 143rd Pl (steep section here), left on 180th Ave (143rd says it's a dead end here, but you can get through on a bicycle if you want a short cut), right on 142nd St, right on 172nd Ave (looks like someone's driveway), around the gate, over a few yards of gravel, left on 145th St. This takes you up to 168th Ave. Left loops back down to the Hollywood Schoolhouse.

BBQ: Thinking of the Texas Smokehouse? Good lunch spot... if you get there by 11:30 or so. Lines out the door later.

Orin.

sspielman
11-30-2005, 01:12 PM
To get a climbing fix, I periodically head up to the Altoona, PA area. The climb up the mountain from Altoona through Horseshoe Curve to Gallitzen gets pretty evil above the railroad. The entire climb is about 9 miles with most of it at 5%...but one section is 22% with a decent amount at 15%+. Not too far away is the ascent up the backside of Blue Knob. I understand that this is the 2nd highest point in PA, but the highest accessible via paved (sort of ) roads. It is long climb with lots of stairsteps.....It is nearly impossible to establish any kind of a rhythm on this climb.

Ray
11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
To get a climbing fix, I periodically head up to the Altoona, PA area. The climb up the mountain from Altoona through Horseshoe Curve to Gallitzen gets pretty evil above the railroad. The entire climb is about 9 miles with most of it at 5%...but one section is 22% with a decent amount at 15%+. Not too far away is the ascent up the backside of Blue Knob. I understand that this is the 2nd highest point in PA, but the highest accessible via paved (sort of ) roads. It is long climb with lots of stairsteps.....It is nearly impossible to establish any kind of a rhythm on this climb.
I did a cross-state tour of PA a few years ago and we passed through the Altoona area, staying there one night. I don't remember the specific climbs, but there were some good ones. We descended past Horseshoe Curve, though, so missed that climb. Actually, the two days from Pittsburg to Indiana and then Indiana to Toona were two of the tougher days of riding I've done. Only one or two memorable climbs, but relentless smaller climbs all day both days. The third day had one good climb out of Altoona and then got a lot easier. Great area to ride.

-Ray

Kevan
11-30-2005, 03:35 PM
but my car's front bumper knocked into it trying to go up the thing:

http://www.pbase.com/honda/3rdstr

Sandy
11-30-2005, 04:43 PM
but my car's front bumper knocked into it trying to go up the thing:

http://www.pbase.com/honda/3rdstr

I didn't think that a Yugo came with a front bumper. An option?? :D :D

Studebaker Sandy

Kevan
11-30-2005, 04:59 PM
only downhill, not up.

graniteracer
12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I'll second the earlier nomination of Lincoln Gap in Vermont. That sucker is at least 15% for over a mile and there are so many twists and turns that it seems to go up forever. After you make it to the top the fun continues with a descent off the other side on dirt.

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Every November we have a race/ride in Pittsburgh called the Dirty Dozen. It is 13 of our steepest hills. The highlight is Canton at 37 percent and Belgian Block on top of it all (cobblestone). This year the ride had a participant race another cyclist up it while running in his stocking feet. The ride was started by Danny Chew, 2 time RAAM Winner and his brother.

My links include some great photos and newspaper articles. If you want to abuse yourself set aside next year's date!

Runner Vs. Bike Up Canton Photo (http://www.post-gazette.com/popup.asp?img=http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051127smbike01_HP580.jpg)

Newspaper Article on The Ride (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05330/612834.stm)
The interesting side note is that the Kraynick quoted is the same as in the recent thread called Spat With Bicyclists...

2005 Results and Commentary by Danny Chew (http://www.dannychew.com/dd_05.html)

The History, Course Maps & All About the Dirty Dozen (http://www.dannychew.com/dd.html)

A Fabulous Article on the Street Itself With Photos (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05030/448976.stm)

:bike: