PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Road Races: Road or MTB Pedals?

Lewis Moon
04-22-2013, 10:02 AM
I recently bought a Poprad because I (may) want to race cross next season and I like the XC/Gravel/Road versatility of cross bikes. Early on, I outfitted it with a set of Eggbeaters, but, for the road I didn’t like them nearly as well as my Speedplays. Don’t get me wrong, I love the ‘beaters on my mountain bike, it’s just that, after decades of riding Speedplay, I’m addicted.
My question is: for a gravel road race like the Crusher in the Tushar; Eggbeaters or Speedplays? From what I’ve read, there isn’t any “mandatory” hoofing, unless you include the “walk of shame” up one of the 15% gravel grades. Hopefully, I’ll be geared low enough that if I have to get off the bike, it’ll be to puke, not walk.

christian
04-22-2013, 10:03 AM
For a road race, I would use road pedals, Speedplay's sort of wonky, expensive, damage-prone cleats notwithstanding.

avalonracing
04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
From what I’ve read, there isn’t any “mandatory” hoofing, unless you include the “walk of shame” up one of the 15% gravel grades. Hopefully, I’ll be geared low enough that if I have to get off the bike, it’ll be to puke, not walk.

If you do have to walk up a 15% grade on gravel in Speedplays I would suggest... well... don't.

If you don't like the feel of the eggbeaters have you though about Shimano SPD MTB cleats. I'm a Speedplay guy and I find the float from my MTB SPDs great on my cross bike when I have it on the road.

Cat3roadracer
04-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Eggbeaters on my cross bikes, love them.

Lovetoclimb
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
If that is the only section of questionable dismounting, I would vote for your Speedplay pedals. If you use cleat covers, and can be quick about it, perhaps putting those on for the hike a bike section would be beneficial to cleat longevity. I ride my Speedplays on my road bike for gravel road racing. Never had to dismount and walk it though.

christian
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
XT SPDs on my cross bike - for CROSS racing. He's asking about a (gravel-ish) road race. 105 SPDs are loads better for that.

Suctionprints
04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
What pedals do you normally run on the bike? I would use those, cause as long as the shoes fit well enough it really doesn't matter.