PDA

View Full Version : Tour of Turkey

chengher87
04-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Did anybody see the crash at Tour of Turkey? Wow, took out (in terms of stopping the peloton) nearly the entire peloton except for a few. Video not up yet, since it was live, but hopefully it'll be on youtube soon. May not have been the worst in terms of instantaneous crashing, but wow did the bodies pile up quickly.

chengher87
04-22-2013, 11:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHiyMpyUfrM

Around 2 minute mark.

merlinmurph
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
We're leaving for Turkey in a few days for vacation and renting a car for some of it. From what I understand, driving in Turkey isn't much different from that peloton crash. :eek:

Joel
04-22-2013, 06:21 PM
The cab we were in was in a 3 car accident not 1/2 mile outside of the airport - welcome to Turkey!

Seriously be careful if you're driving there - it's NUTZ. Like crazy NUTZ!

On the brighter side I found a bike shop and got a cool replica Turkish National jersey!

Enjoy - it's a really-really-really lovely trip, and if you take the time, you'll meet some wonderful people.

flydhest
04-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Just got back from Istanbul Saturday. That is one stupendously awesome city. It was my sixth or so time there and I never tire of it. I have been to Ankara, as well, but nothing compares to Istanbul. Sadly, a couple years ago, had to turn down a trip to Izmir.

Anyway, on the one hand, the traffic feels kinda crazy, that's true. On the other, there is more control in the chaos than appears. Everyone is ignoring the rules, but in my many trips there, the cars all seem to let the others cut them off, then cut someone else off, then get cut off . . . everyone just sort of accepts that there are too many people on the road and you just try to make sure you don't do dumb stuff. When I got back and was in my cab on the way home through DC, it occurred to me that I didn't actually feel that much safer in DC despite a bit more rule following. Everyone here just seems to be acting as if they are the only ones on the road. In Turkey, they drive kinda crazy, but they get that there are other people (millions) doing the same thing.

Anyway, to the poster about to go, enjoy your trip. It's awesome. If you like food, history, wine, or culture . . . Turkey is a great place to go.