PDA

View Full Version : Lazer helmet's lateral play?

SolidSnake03
04-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to get a new helmet as my Specialized Echelon is showing it's age from a few years of use. I tried on the Lazer Genesis and while I liked the shape and adjustment system I got this weird feeling that the helmet could move side to side on my head.

Basically, the helmet retention system was tight on my head yet there was space on either side between it and the inside shell of the helmet. Is this normal and just how they fit? It was almost like my head was suspended in the helmet in regards to the sides. If I pushed on the outside edges the helmet would shift closer to my head, the retention system didn't move but the helmet shell did.

Anyhow, is this "normal" for Lazer helmets? With my Specialized it fits like a cap almost where the inside shell sits super close to the edges of my head allowing minimal movement yet it's obviously a different retention system/design.

Thanks!

SPOKE
04-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Did you try on different sizes? A smaller shell size may help minimize the issue.
A lazer user and really like their product. Their Custer service is really good too!

FlashUNC
04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
What SPOKE said. Give a smaller size a go.

Great helmets though if they fit. Love my Genesis.

charliedid
04-22-2013, 08:27 AM
I had the same issue regardless of size...it's like a suspension system or something.

SolidSnake03
04-22-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm already on the smallest size....

Like charliedid said it feels almost like my head is in a suspension system. The helmet isn't really totally contacting my head, the retention system is while the helmet is sort of like "floating" or suspended around it. I found the helmet to be good looking, comfortable and relatively light but I'm interested in if it is supposed to fit this way.

Never had a Lazer before so that's what I'm unsure about. I'm used to helmets where the shell fits tight to your head

SPOKE
04-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Mine does have that same feeling.

Doberman
04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Customer service? Do you happen to have a customer service contact?

I have a question I'd like to ask them.

SPOKE
04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Customer service? Do you happen to have a customer service contact?

I have a question I'd like to ask them.

Just use the contact form on their web site. That's what I did and got a response in less than 24hr.

Doberman
04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I used the response form at the USA site. I got a response back from a person at QBP. Leads me to believe that they don't actually have a USA operation. QBP probably handles sales and customer service for them in the USA.

The QBP guy couldn't help. I think I'll try Flemish.

d_douglas
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Jaunty.

I bought a Lazer last year on a whim (on sale, looked cool, and comfortable) but it inevitably tilted to one side. I look like an idiot until I adjust it. It feels awkward at first but then I get used to it. Someone wisely suggested that I should've gotten a smaller sized helmet.

Still, a nice and comfortable helmet for me. Not the Holy Grail, as of yet.

54ny77
04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
sounds like lazer just doesn't fit you properly.

if, like me, you have a goofy egg-shaped head, you might try catlike. i tried one on and it was probably the most comfortable helmet i've ever worn. unfortunately, the looks are not my cuppa tea.

so, i wear a lazer helium, and it fits good. better than my last bell. giro and specialized helmets on me look ridiculous, kinda like beaker from the muppets. garneau not much better.

raygunner
04-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Got the same feeling when I tried on a Lazer...they look awesome but they didn't fit me.

I love my LAS Squalo helmet...I recently purchased a Kash but the LAS was better IMHO and cheaper.

Nooch
04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Are you on twitter?

Find @helmeteer_chris -- he's the US Rep, and he's insanely awesome.

Sent Chris to this page -- He's in the process of registering and will reply here!

jmoore
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Giro's fit me the way you are describing that Lazer. I can't wear them and I've tried them all on.

Until Uvex stops making helmets or changes their current line too much, they are my go to helmet. The Boss Race is the best helmet I ever wore.

SolidSnake03
04-22-2013, 03:09 PM
I sort of guessed it was a fit related issue but figured it was worth it to ask around a bit and get some opinions.

Thanks everyone so far, sent Lazer a brief note as well just to see what they have to say but it seems the fit might just not mesh well with my head

Charles M
04-22-2013, 07:51 PM
it's the only helmet made with a retention system that doesnt just smash your head forward into the foam... Lazer lids circle your head and a proper fit will have a little room all the way around the helmet.

It's an improvement on comfort and airflow in the case the size is right.

They post a size range. Just measure your head and see if you're within that range. you might be a tweener.

SolidSnake03
04-23-2013, 05:45 AM
tweener for me means actually below their smallest size...:confused:

Yeh my head is small but at least with Bell *especially* and Spec's smalls it fits securely/no extra space

Ah well, looks like picking one of those again might be the best bet, that or Kask*Mojito* which fit like a dream but $$=:no: