PDA

View Full Version : Way at the far end of the bell curve...

joev
04-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Today I broke a spoke on my rear wheel. I usually wouldn't fret, but I had just gotten a new bike. I was thinking about an upgrade for some time since my old bike was about 6 years old. You know, not the latest, not the greatest, but it worked and could be fixed. In the past it had been a component upgrade here, a frame there, always a hopscotch to keep about three steps behind technology. So this year I buckled to the marketing hype and bought a whole new bike. New carbon, 11 speeds, and new wheels. Wow, what a ride! I burst into a sprint today (OK, I wasn't just riding along) and "pop" followed by the tell tale thump, thump, thump of a rim banging on the brake pad. It wasn't supposed to happen, those new "zicral" spokes were supposed to be light, stiff...and strong. Of course it it was the one "white" one too.... Sigh. I brought it to my LBS and they said I'd need to check with an "Authorized Service Center".

I'm taking bets on the time it will take to replace that spoke that - is rear specific (front wheel spokes are different), has a unique spoke wrench, and, is from a wheel just introduced this year and has one and only one bladed white spoke. I'm thinking white touch up paint.

fourflys
04-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah, that's why all my wheels are normal j-bend spoked... I had some bladed wheels for a while and they were nice, just always worried a bit about broken spokes...

jh_on_the_cape
04-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Should that be under warranty?
I am the same way with my bikes, old hodgepodge of stuff.
I have been tempted with a whole new bike because I see riding buddies break something and get it warrantied. Rough BB, etc.

Just curious, because if it is not covered under warranty, my motivation for a new complete bike just went out the window.

colod
04-21-2013, 10:45 PM
I've managed to break spokes of all sorts over the years, but at least this should get you a good warranty replacement. (Last time I did it the (bladed) spoke also pulled out of the rim, and the company just replaced the entire set (with the new years' version, at that). Took a couple weeks but I can't complain. Good to have a spare beater set around though.

joev
04-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Right now its the weekend and I can't do too much but hope that the warranty gods look kindly upon me. It will at least start with phone calls tomorrow, continue with getting to that authorized service center mid week if I'm lucky, and wait for the special order to come in.

I'm not going to call my old '87 Cannondale Criterium bike a beater, but it will be nice to know it will be tough to snap one of those 36 spokes while turning those Suntour Superbe gears!. The group rides will have to wait a bit though. I don't want to scare anyone while trying to reach down for a handful of friction shifts.

SPOKE
04-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Did you buy the bike from the LBS?

oldpotatoe
04-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Today I broke a spoke on my rear wheel. I usually wouldn't fret, but I had just gotten a new bike. I was thinking about an upgrade for some time since my old bike was about 6 years old. You know, not the latest, not the greatest, but it worked and could be fixed. In the past it had been a component upgrade here, a frame there, always a hopscotch to keep about three steps behind technology. So this year I buckled to the marketing hype and bought a whole new bike. New carbon, 11 speeds, and new wheels. Wow, what a ride! I burst into a sprint today (OK, I wasn't just riding along) and "pop" followed by the tell tale thump, thump, thump of a rim banging on the brake pad. It wasn't supposed to happen, those new "zicral" spokes were supposed to be light, stiff...and strong. Of course it it was the one "white" one too.... Sigh. I brought it to my LBS and they said I'd need to check with an "Authorized Service Center".

I'm taking bets on the time it will take to replace that spoke that - is rear specific (front wheel spokes are different), has a unique spoke wrench, and, is from a wheel just introduced this year and has one and only one bladed white spoke. I'm thinking white touch up paint.

Was 'your LBS' the same place you bought the bike?

This wheel?

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/road-triathlon/wheels/Ksyrium-SLS#325694

Should be under warranty. But probably gotta send it to them for inspection.

"They" will probably repair but....

Suctionprints
04-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Did you buy the bike from the LBS?

That's a good question -- sounds like no, judging from the LBS' response. Nothing inherently wrong about buying a discount bike online, but you definitely lose out a bit on service.