PDA

View Full Version : spinergy

Suntourguy
04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
I've been checking out Spinergy wheels, interesting. Do you love them. The impression is they are a love or hate either or thing. I am willing and interested in risking alternative technology, spokes. Are the hubs really all that loud? I like the stealth fct.

CunegoFan
04-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Back in the day I saw too much crap from Spinergy to trust anything from the company ever.

LegendRider
04-20-2013, 11:44 AM
How in the world does that company remain in business? I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of their wheels on a group ride. Are they more popular in other regions of the country or among triathletes?

mossman
04-20-2013, 11:49 AM
what year is it again?

AgilisMerlin
04-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Rev-X?

liray
04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
I have a set of Spinergy Stealth wheels that came with a bike I purchased. Seemed to ride pretty smoothly on the short ride that I did on them. Have other wheels so these have just been chilling.

regularguy412
04-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Back in the day I saw too much crap from Spinergy to trust anything from the company ever.

^^ This^^

Back in the day,, say early 1990's,, I was in race going down a big, steep, twisty descent -- many of us in a line stretched out. One by one, we approached a guy on a Vitus with the four-spoke, Spinergy Rev-X wheels. The shimmy his front end had at +/- 45 mph was indeed terrifying. The poor guy was trying everything to get it under control. It should be noted that the left side of the road was rock face and the right side of the road was a sheer drop off. I was actually scared to go around him for fear of being taken out in the process. As I finally mustered the nerve to pass, I yelled 'Clamp the top tube with your knees'. I dunno if he actually got down the mountain alive, but I did not hear of any serious crashes when we got back to the start/finish.

Not sure if the wheels were much to blame, as the Vitus was known for its springyness. Still never trusted those wheels since I saw that.

I'd prolly ride one on the trainer,, but that would be it.

Mike in AR:beer:

thirdgenbird
04-20-2013, 06:58 PM
I've ridden rev-x wheels. I never recall any wobble issues.

I've heard the new stealth wheels are pretty smooth from a few people but I've never been on them.

cdn_bacon
04-21-2013, 06:36 AM
very quiet on the body
had a pair bought from a forumite. they absorb a ton or road shock.
tough to get up to 30km/h in comparison to metal spokes but consistant at that speed.

not worth the headache if they go out of true.

Wheelchair athletes /and some non-athletic types are found here with them.

personally not worth the headache although their wrench Joe has always been super nice to me.

veloduffer
04-21-2013, 07:14 AM
^^ This^^

Back in the day,, say early 1990's,, I was in race going down a big, steep, twisty descent -- many of us in a line stretched out. One by one, we approached a guy on a Vitus with the four-spoke, Spinergy Rev-X wheels. The shimmy his front end had at +/- 45 mph was indeed terrifying. The poor guy was trying everything to get it under control. It should be noted that the left side of the road was rock face and the right side of the road was a sheer drop off. I was actually scared to go around him for fear of being taken out in the process. As I finally mustered the nerve to pass, I yelled 'Clamp the top tube with your knees'. I dunno if he actually got down the mountain alive, but I did not hear of any serious crashes when we got back to the start/finish.

Not sure if the wheels were much to blame, as the Vitus was known for its springyness. Still never trusted those wheels since I saw that.

Back in the day, I had the Rev-X wheels and never had a shimmy issue. The wheels were heavy but they were really aero. Bad on cross winds, though.

I probably had one of the earliest all carbon rigs, as the Spinergy's were mated to a Giant Cadex (carbon tubes, aluminum lugs). Specialized had come out with their first carbon bike, which had issues with bb shell cracking. Oh man, CF has come a long way.....:banana:

AgilisMerlin
04-21-2013, 07:29 AM
I loved the Rev-X wheels. A friend of mine who worked at C-dale, went to work for them when they located their office to Wilton, or Norwalk can't remember. This was when they started that huge hub, black straight pull spoke wheelset, and when I was in my relocating stage.

Anyways the Rev-x, they always seemed to either be slightly off dish, and were sometimes slightly out of true. This was always by just a millimeter or two. I absolutely loved the Rev-x wheelsets. And if any of you remember the blade supports that you would have to peel and stick in between blades. Brilliant.

In the mid 90's everyone up here were riding them, and it seemed everyone in Europe were winning big races on them to boot.

They made some cool products. Did not even know they were still a viable company?

KidWok
04-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Shudder...I had problems with them. Was JRA on a hot summer day in Albuquerque. Heard a bang. Looked down and the c.f. had delaminated from the alum rim. They sent me a new wheel.

Tai

fourflys
04-21-2013, 12:12 PM
so I think you all assume the OP is talking about one model of wheel... Spinergy actually makes some really nice wheels now. There was a guy in San Diego I used to ride with that swore by them and he road 5 or 6k miles a year on them...

http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/images/Stealth%20FCC%20white%20side%20rear.jpg

bthornt
04-21-2013, 12:15 PM
If you're thinking about spinergy spox, I can assure you they are the worst wheels ever produced.

FlashUNC
04-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Whether its the Spox or the four blade helicopter wheels of death, it's all bad news from them.

Wouldn't ride them if they paid for all my inevitable hospital bills.

firerescuefin
04-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Whether its the Spox or the four blade helicopter wheels of death, it's all bad news from them.

Wouldn't ride them if they paid for all my inevitable hospital bills.

.....so you're saying there's a chance;)

FlashUNC
04-21-2013, 02:42 PM
.....so you're saying there's a chance;)

Only if they started selling rebadged Nemesis runs laced to Campy hubs.

They could call them the Spinergy boat anchors or something.

LegendRider
04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
I'll ride them when oldpotatoe endorses them or when hell freezes over - whichever comes first.