PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Proteus

gasman
11-25-2005, 10:23 PM
A buddy is considering a new ride. He has an OCLV but doesn't want another Trek. I talked to him about a Meivici and also Calfee, Parlee and other choices. Even a Giant.
He seems to have his eye on the Merlin Proteus even though it seems to come in just a few stock sizes and the top tube for the 59 is about 57 cm ! Hmm. I do know Merlin makes very nice Ti bikes. I quess everyone wants to get into the carbon act.
Anyway, I can't tell from the website if the bike is made in house with carbon tubes purchased elsewhere or if it is built overseas. Does anybody know where the Proteus is built ? Do they do all the work in-house. Not that it really matters, just curious. :rolleyes:

Blastinbob
11-26-2005, 08:32 AM
I've not seen or ever read anything on them. Litespeed/Merlins trade-in site ( www.preownedbikes.com ) has 5 of them for sale...out of 16 Merlins listed!! Not sure if that's a good sign. Parlee is my suggestion.

Bob

Steve Hampsten
11-26-2005, 12:34 PM
My understanding is that the frames are made by a Taiwan-based company called Martek. They build frames and forks for several other companies, and I think they also provide ABG/Litespeed with their Realdesign line of components.

Their stuff is fine, for what it is. I would encourage you to push your buddy to buy an American built bike, but that's just me.

Tom Kellogg
11-26-2005, 01:10 PM
The Proteus is built with components made in the east and assembled in the Merlin plant in Tenn. The assembly techniques are essentially the same as Treks. The biggest exceptions are that while Trek uses a composite wrap to support its joints, Merlin uses those titanium rings and that the Proteus frame composites are molded using a somewhat different pattern. For example, Merlin's seat cluster consists of the top 5" of the seat tube, the rear 4" of the top tube and both of the seat stays. i.e. the seat stays are structurally part of the rest of the frame, not added on later. Same thing with the BB area and the chain stays. So, there you go. For a composite frame, the Proteus is the liveliest I ahve ever ridden, but it is still carbon...

Tom

gasman
11-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I mainly want my buddy to consider all his options. I don't think he was aware of all the great possibities.
Thank you for the replies.