PDA

View Full Version : Why custom frames are worth it

Kirk007
04-19-2013, 06:14 PM
(to me)

My first custom frame was a Landshark. I convinced myself that I needed the custom geometry (in reality I just really dug the paint on one in George's window (Il Vecchio - Lake Washington Blvd, Seattle). It was completely different, and then George started telling me about John Slawta, and his history and I was hooked. And I enjoyed spending time talking with George and sharing an espresso with a colorful man who, at least when I first got to know him, personified ShimaNO, refusing to even work on such bikes.

Since then, I've sold the landshark but have two bikes built by Dave Kirk, one by Dario and I'm somewhere in the endless quo for one of Richard's bikes. What I've come to realize is it's not about the bike so much.

Anyone who has worked with Dave knows what a great experience that is. Smart design, spare, elegant lines, willing to take risks to refine the product performance,and committed to his beliefs - no ti, no carbon, just what he thinks is best. Generous with advice, a great partner in Karin and always willing to take a break from the bench when I'm in Bozeman.

Dario, I don't really know personally, though we met once. But his reputation, his product, his story, all these things make me feel connected to him just as much as my Marcelo makes me feel connected to the road. An artist, a master craftsman, a cancer survivor, Dario is another person who follows his path and I am happy to support with my $$.

Richard is another who I know only through what he posts, and thus exposes about himself on the internet. But his devotion to producing the best steel frame, his refusal to bend his beliefs to suit the customer (although I do wish at times he'd relent and put bottle bosses on a cross bike - it would make my decision easier); his passion for other quality products and commitment to his sponsors and the sport, all these draw me to want to support him. And I like red bikes. Now, through following his posts, I've come to the writings of his partner, Deb Paulson. Smart, insightful, thought provoking, these too enrich my day and draw a closer bond.

There are others who I hope to someday perhaps support based on what I've come to know of them. Steve Garro - beautiful purposeful bikes, overcoming, and from one of his close friends - both a great guy and a wonderful naturalist. Curt Goodrich - the bikes, the struggle, the apparent road to redemption. And I'm sure the list could go on and on.

So in sum, it has little to do with the bike improving my riding, it has everything to do about relationships that in ways usually not realized by the actor enrich my life experience. Sorta the same reason I hang around this place. It's no longer about the knowledge of bikes, its about broadening relationships. Most of the world's religions speak at some point about connectedness among all things. The older I get, the more I believe.

So on this rainy Friday afternoon in Seattle, tired and bored with the work task I'm trying to finish off, with the world spinning and tumbling in sadness and destruction in so many corners, I say "Chapeau" to all of you who make my days a bit more satisfying.

Louis
04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
a colorful man who, at least when I first got to know him, personified ShimaNO, refusing to even work on such bikes

Thanks for the interesting post, but if this is true then that's pretty silly of him.

akelman
04-19-2013, 06:43 PM
It was a different time, Louis. And regardless, that was one of the nicest shops, in one of the most beautiful settings, ever. He had a Merckx in Molteni livery that kept me up nights -- even though I had my favorite bike ever at the time.

e-RICHIE
04-19-2013, 07:04 PM
<cut>

Thanks for this.
My wife aka TLD has a site here (http://debrapaulson.wordpress.com/).
She is at Simmons College pursuing a Masters Degree in Writing For Children and will be graduating in a month.

My writing can be found on my Atmo bis page linked in the signature below.

David Kirk
04-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much for the post, the mention, the business, and most of all the friendship.

Coming back to Bozeman soon?

dave

Jack Brunk
04-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks for this.
She is at Simmons College pursuing a Masters Degree in Writing For Children and will be graduating in a month.

You sir got lucky and your wife is awesome. Sometimes most of us are secondary.
Richard tell her she is special from me please.

Jack

Louis
04-19-2013, 11:26 PM

Well done.

Peter B
04-19-2013, 11:58 PM
In my experience buying a custom frameset can be so much more than merely the process of getting a good fit and a good bike. Ideally you find a builder you connect with around design/fit issues, perhaps among others, and in the process learn things about each other and maybe even form a friendship. Regardless the process of interaction with a professional around the creation of a new ride will inform your position, your perspective and your appreciation of the craft, educate, inspire and rejuvenate your cycling. Most importantly know your 3 contact points (feet ass and hands) and then let the builder do his job.

It really is important to savor the process; choosing & acquiring the group, pondering just the right color, anticipating the frame's completion and delivery, gathering all the misc. build bits, finally taking receipt and the ensuing anticipation of building it up to ride. If you're mechanically adept the meditation of building up your own ride can be an afternoon very well spent.

And then that first ride. Like a first date. Don't reveal shyness or apprehension, just do it. Find out who she is. You'll be surprised that she's just as anxious to show you her primary characteristics as revealing subtler nuance. Treat her well, befitting a fine partner.

Listen, thank and enjoy and learn;) And buy your builder a bottle or 6 of his or her favorite elixir as good karma.

AngryScientist
04-20-2013, 06:36 AM
nice post.

it echoes what i've known and believed for a while. the fact that at this point in time, anyone has the choice to go to any of the skilled frame builders we all know and get a top notch frame points to the reality that it really isnt about the bike itself.

i've met and ridden with lots of fantastic people thanks to a common interest in cycling, and whenever i've gotten together with such people, it's never about the actual bikes under us. its about the people, and the company. the life experiences shared. good stuff.

anyway, i'm in the middle of having a frame built for myself right now, and the experience has been great. a boston builder too.

cheers.

fuzzalow
04-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Nice post.

I think that after many serious cycling enthusiasts have done the marketing merry-go-round and gotten it out of their systems, they will find a custom builder. I see it as a natural return to more domestically produced goods with an emphasis on craft & quality as opposed to blind consumerism driven by novelty & price point.

The fostered narcissism of "What I want; when I want it and how I want it" is superseded by the mutual respect between a client and a builder of fine goods in the process of obtaining something finer & longer lasting than the mere initial rush of acquiring something new.

Support output by the hands of a builder instead of buying product from manufacture by a mold.

Nothing against the big manufacturers, they provide the entree into the sport for the many and some segment of those mature into lifelong supporters and friends in cycling.

Ahneida Ride
04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
There just isn't better then a custom frame form a world class
builder like Dave or Richard.

jlwdm
04-20-2013, 09:53 PM
(to me)....

So in sum, it has little to do with the bike improving my riding, it has everything to do about relationships that in ways usually not realized by the actor enrich my life experience.....

Good post but in my custom experiences improving my riding has also been an important factor.

Louis, it was not that silly of him at the time. His shop was a one man operation about 20 ft wide and 60 ft deep. Primarily Italian frames and Landsharks. Also a few unique European pro jerseys - trade team level.

Jeff

Charles M
04-22-2013, 08:05 PM
(to me)

So in sum, it has little to do with the bike improving my riding, it has everything to do about relationships that in ways usually not realized by the actor enrich my life experience.

For me it's pretty much still about the bike...

A well fit bike, built to spec geometry from a steel, ti or carbon tube set chosen to do what I want is, so far, is just simply a better ride experience.

I can find colorful personality or attitude or image in any bar and or homeless shelter (at about a 30 - 70 split respectively).

Proven craftsmanship over time is how builders become respected builders and without that, nobody would give a rats ass about their persona. The people behind the product are a distant second as a reason to buy for me, but they've turned out to be some pretty good friends in some cases...

All that said, there's virtually no wrong answer in buying a bike, stock or custom;)

Kirk007
04-22-2013, 08:45 PM
All that said, there's virtually no wrong answer in buying a bike, stock or custom;)

Agreed, and I don't mean to completely discount the quality of or potential superiority of the frames that one can get with custom builds. At some level, with a certain subset of builders, the quality component is mostly a given.

I guess my point is more that, as a person in my mid 50s, with many higher priorities than achieving my ultimate performance peak as a cyclist, the performance criteria are less important than other intangibles. I would be a much better cyclist if I was training 15 or 20 hours a week and leading the life of a monk while riding any number of mid-level stock offerings from any big box manufacturer than I am today riding the bikes that I have.

We often see posts here on how to choose between custom builders - indeed. Character (as opposed to being a character) is one criteria important to me.

roguedog
04-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks for this.

Very enjoyable reading. I like it. Thanks.

dd74
04-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Very enjoyable reading. I like it. Thanks.
Same here. I subscribed to TLD's blog. Good stuff.

Now if I could only subscribe to e-RICHIE to see when he updates, I'd be in blog heaven.

Both are very good writers.

51mondays
04-23-2013, 02:47 AM
(to me)

.....I do wish at times he'd relent and put bottle bosses on a cross bike............

hhahahhaahah
i love this OCD /commitment to an idea. It's all part of the story

ElvisMerckx
04-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks for this.

[x] like x2

e-RICHIE
04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Same here. I subscribed to TLD's blog. Good stuff.

Now if I could only subscribe to e-RICHIE to see when he updates, I'd be in blog heaven.

Both are very good writers.
My texts live on my site not at a third party host-er. The new arrivals auto-feed onto my FB pages.
They come maybe once a week. You can bookmark the Atmo bis (http://www.richardsachs.com/site/category/atmo-bis/) page, or get it on an RSS thingy (http://www.richardsachs.com/site/feed/).

Thanks atmo.