PDA

View Full Version : What's this worth?

sean
04-18-2013, 08:02 PM
I came across a a 1985 Bernie Mikkelsen Kamikaze. This was pretty much the first actual (I hate to use the term) "Fixie". I'd call it a messenger bike, but the french had those with porteurs.

Anyhow, bernie only made 20 of these and they are build to last. Almost all of them were meant for NYC messengers, but a couple stayed here in SF. They were available with or without decals and only the frame, no fork. Furthermore, they were made with Tandem tubing so they could take a beating.

I'm interested in selling to someone, but have no idea what it's worth. Any thoughts? Definitely a piece of history, but not in the mario confente sort of way. BTW, this is NOT a troll for offers, I really am at a loss for a fair price on this.

No pics now, but here is a similar one.

http://mashsf.com/brews-mikkelsen-kamikaze-1985/

Mine is all black and has a pea sized dent in the DT that either I or bernie could fix.

Thoughts?

likebikes
04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
$200

temeyone
04-18-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't even know I can put a quantitative value on something like that. It's a page from messenger history, seriously. Beat up or not, I wouldn't let it go too cheap. It's like the equivalent of the crazy purpose driven Paris-Roubaix bikes that serve little purpose beyond their intended duty but are rad nonetheless.

avalonracing
04-18-2013, 08:19 PM
$200

Wow, according to your signature line that is only $95 more than a seatpost. :rolleyes: (although you may be pretty close on both appraisals)

christian
04-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I agree that it's a piece of history. A lot will depend on condition, but has to be $500+

benitosan1972
04-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Was that Dirty Dave's?

pbarry
04-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Highest value for it will be in the Bay Area. Frame only, 250-350. Complete bike; at your discretion. He was way ahead of the curve on these frames and many other innovations. Ever see one of his folding bikes with 24" wheels? Bike Friday can only dream...

Bernie is one of the many unrecognized pillars of American framebuilding. Contemporary of Ed Litton, Joe Breeze, et al. I did a stint in his old shop just east of the freeway in '93, teaching him to build with Ti. Got his hot-rodded BMW 530i in trade. Should have gone for the incredible tandem frame he offered...

Hope he's doing well. :banana:

adampaiva
04-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Is it a 57 cm? Because those are worth basically nothing.

sean
04-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Was that Dirty Dave's?

Nope. Oddly enough, I found it BURIED in a storage locker at a bike shop in the north bay. He had a bunch of mid level british frames, Falcon, Raleigh international, etc. Then I saw this weird road frame with spence wolf modified mafacs, right below it was the frame.

I'm tempted to actually take it to bernie and see if he'll trade me for the Jack Taylor Bambino he has on his wall. Chatted with Melodie the other day and she asked me to bring it by to look at.

pbarry
04-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Pay homage to the master while you're at it.

KeithNYC
04-18-2013, 11:22 PM
So what size is it? And could you whip out your phone and snap a pic of it?
:)

sean
04-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Will do, but honestly, just getting a gauge. Gotten a couple PM, but not interested in selling to the group right now. You guys know me, if I had something to sell, I would!

$200

So basically it's worth less than a Mercier Kilo TT :banana:

jtakeda
04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
In really good shape, I wouldn't be surprised to see that thing fetch 700-750 for the frame/fork/headset.

elliott
04-19-2013, 12:20 AM
What size is it?

hokoman
04-19-2013, 12:20 AM
I'm interested in selling to someone, but have no idea what it's worth. Any thoughts?

Thoughts?

Gotten a couple PM, but not interested in selling to the group right now. You guys know me, if I had something to sell, I would!

I'm not interested but......:confused:

TBDSeattle
04-19-2013, 12:44 AM
^+1

bike
04-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Nice

cat6
04-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Vinayakan became famous as a dancer. His own troupe used to perform in various stages across Kerala. Thampi Kannanthanam was impressed with his dancing skills and gave him a small role in his film Manthrikam. Vinayakan imitated Michael Jackson in this movie and became popular among Malayalam audiences.

sean
04-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks all.

Not sure about this making sense or not wanting to sell it on here. I think it's a pretty fair question as to value, however, people are taking it the wrong way.

If I wanted to sell it on here, I would have accepted the first offer and kept going.

I have two interested buyers who are in it for it's history aspect. I really don't know what it's worth and considering the collective knowledge here, thought it might be worth asking. Especially since people seem pretty fair when it comes to pricing.

Trust me, if it goes up for sale because one of the two people interested passes (which I doubt), the thread title will clearly be "FOR SALE".

I don't think asking for advice is a bad thing on forums, please don't mistake my request for a round about way to play ebay on this forum. I'll go to ebay if I wanna play ebay.

S.

temeyone
04-19-2013, 05:15 PM
+1 to all of the above.

toasttoast
04-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Probably the closest parallel would be a Zo bag -- and I've never seen a Zo sell for less than 300 bucks on eBay, about 2x or 3x what people pay for other equally good (if not better) bags from other brands with less history/renown.

So, rough estimate? 600-800 bucks for the frameset. 1K certainly a possibility. or less.

I'd probably start an eBay auction -- with worldwide shipping prominently advertised -- around that amount, and see where it might go.

Scott Shire
04-19-2013, 06:04 PM
First off, Sean has earned enough cred on these forums to put out a feeler or two. I've never heard of the dudes questioning him, but they seem like butts.

Second, the right ad gets this bike a grand, but I'm talking a curated ad with history and well lit photos and a couple extras thrown in. A regular old ad will still net you 600+.

If it was me, I'd get my pix together and email to Prolly. Launch the auction the day the post hits and profit.

sean
04-19-2013, 11:10 PM
That's for all the kind words.

Man, if I sold this to Prolly, the guy who wants it would go NUTS. Would almost be fun to watch in a twisted way!!!!

I'll post pics soon just for fun. I'm out of town, so when I get back I'll show you all.

christian
04-19-2013, 11:17 PM
First off, Sean has earned enough cred on these forums to put out a feeler or two.Yeah, this. Not like he's got 4 posts and "just scored a sweet fixie at a yard sale."

John M
04-19-2013, 11:45 PM
I'll post pics soon just for fun. I'm out of town, so when I get back I'll show you all.

Yeah, I don't want to buy it, but I do want to see it!

sean
04-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Yeah, this. Not like he's got 4 posts and "just scored a sweet fixie at a yard sale."

But this is truly my goal or forums! :banana:

I'm even thinking of openen an account on here called SweeeetFIXeez69, only for sales, of course! :)

blessthismess
04-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Probably the closest parallel would be a Zo bag -- and I've never seen a Zo sell for less than 300 bucks on eBay, about 2x or 3x what people pay for other equally good (if not better) bags from other brands with less history/renown.

So, rough estimate? 600-800 bucks for the frameset. 1K certainly a possibility. or less.

I'd probably start an eBay auction -- with worldwide shipping prominently advertised -- around that amount, and see where it might go.

I agree with toast on this. With this bike your best route to take is gonna be to push the niche historic significance ( bay area builder/ messenger stuff)

bike
04-23-2013, 12:41 PM
:banana: