PDA

View Full Version : Q about Merlin-type BBs and 1 1/4 headsets

d_douglas
04-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Folks:
Years ago, I helped a buddy buy a hack bike that happened to be a very cool VINTAGE Fisher Supercaliber steel MTB from the late 80s. He now is thinking of ditching it, as he bought a modern bike, and I thought it would be a fun commuter.

It has one of those proprietary BB assemblies like Merlins did in the old days. What is involved in replacing the bearings? Is it possible? Can you simply buy generic cartridge bearing and get a skilled shop to pop them out and replace them? Also, can you get a shorter BB so you could use a different crank? I seem to recall that it had a super wide axle on it...

Also, IF the headset is shot (he did NO maintenance on it) is it possible to buy new 1 1/4 headsets? I suppose that I would have to dig up a vintage King, right?

Otherwise, everything else is standard and can be done on the cheap. Your advice is appreciated...

PS here's a snap he sent me of the bike, and his kid...

Keith A
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Phil Woods can help you out...
http://www.philwood.com/support/faqs.php

dan682
04-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I bought the Phil Wood bearings and spindle for my 1990 Merlin frame and had a shop install them.

d_douglas
04-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Out of curiosity, does the spindle wear out? I assume 'no' if you are using cartridge bearings for the BB.

There is a cool shop with a seasoned mechanic who would know what to do. If I end up buying, I will take it to him...

When I test rode this, I remember being surprised at how fun it was to zip around on ... a bit excited about it.

My guess is $150-$200 for it.

Keith A
04-18-2013, 03:11 PM
As for the 1 1/4" headsets, Chris King has these...
http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_nts

Check eBay for these too, there aren't that many of them, but the used ones go for a reasonable price.

d_douglas
04-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Is there any alternative to using these press-fit BBs on this frame? Only one of those Mavic ones would do it, right?

If that's it, Id rather stick with the press-fit one.

Keith A
04-18-2013, 03:44 PM
I think not, unless you have a frame builder replace the BB shell itself. At least this is the only option for the Merlins and I'm only assuming this would be the same for you too.

d_douglas
04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Yeah - I am not replacing the BB shell on a $200 bike! PW bearings it will be...

Now to find me a used 1.25" threaded King headset...

dan682
04-18-2013, 03:58 PM
The original spindle was fine... I only replaced it because it was a JIS taper and I wanted to switch to a Campy crank.

d_douglas
04-25-2013, 12:25 AM
I have heard about these head tube reducer rings:

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/headtube_reducers

HD9900 - if I popped these into the frame, does this mean that I could use any 1 1/8th headset and fork? It would screw up the 'original-ness' of the fork, but would allow me to use any ol' headset and that old Specialized threadless rigid fork tossed in my spare parts bin...

Is it that simple?

DRZRM
04-25-2013, 05:35 AM
I may have some CK 1.25" parts, but I'll have to check. I had a 1.25 Action Tek fork on an old Moots (like a Cannondale headshock) and I used a devolution HS to replace it with a standard fork when it broke. Thus, I should have those cups/bearings. I'll PM when I get a chance to dig around later.

But yeah, I think that Problem Solver does the exact same thing, and likely for a lot less cash.

palincss
04-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Folks:

It has one of those proprietary BB assemblies like Merlins did in the old days. What is involved in replacing the bearings? Is it possible? Can you simply buy generic cartridge bearing and get a skilled shop to pop them out and replace them? Also, can you get a shorter BB so you could use a different crank?

I have a 1991 Spectrum Ti, which was built by Merlin. Last summer I had the LBS service the bottom bracket, which had developed some side play. They had no problem replacing the bearings.

Back in 1995 or 1996 I switched cranks on that bike and in the process they had to replace the spindle with a longer one. I don't know if they're available now.

palincss
04-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Is there any alternative to using these press-fit BBs on this frame? Only one of those Mavic ones would do it, right?

If that's it, Id rather stick with the press-fit one.

The original lasted 20 years. New bearings are available and my local shop had no trouble doing the replacement. Why would I consider an alternative?

austex
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
I have a 1991 Spectrum Ti, which was built by Merlin. Last summer I had the LBS service the bottom bracket, which had developed some side play. They had no problem replacing the bearings.

Back in 1995 or 1996 I switched cranks on that bike and in the process they had to replace the spindle with a longer one. I don't know if they're available now.

I have an '88 Spectrum Ti with press-fit bb. Tom Kellogg was quite accommodating with info, including a .pdf of the original service instruction, and that Loctite 680 be used. I recently replaced the Phil axle, about $100 for steel; they're available in several sizes/tapers, even Ti. The bearings are very common, standard 6903 units, though I used Phil-branded just because. Despite my best efforts so far, though, I can't get the thing to stop creaking. BB shell replacement with threaded quoted at ~$400 plus shipping (sigh, creak, creak, creak,.....)

Tom in Austin

d_douglas
04-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I may have some CK 1.25" parts, but I'll have to check. I had a 1.25 Action Tek fork on an old Moots (like a Cannondale headshock) and I used a devolution HS to replace it with a standard fork when it broke. Thus, I should have those cups/bearings. I'll PM when I get a chance to dig around later.

But yeah, I think that Problem Solver does the exact same thing, and likely for a lot less cash.

Thanks Zach:

It is a threaded setup, so what bits would be missing from your parts? I think Kings come up from time to time (once nice old frames go to the graveyard) so I may be able to complete it if you only have parts.

I will be hanging with the owner this weekend, so I will see what he says.

Thanks again,

Darren

eak12
04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Hey Darren, I have an NOS XTR 1 & 1/4 threaded headset for a reasonable price. PM me if interested :)