PDA

View Full Version : Headsets

Andreu
03-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Does the Ottrott have an integral headset or standard headset?
I have heard some bad reviews on the new fangled integral headsets.
Thanks
:rolleyes:

saab2000
03-02-2004, 07:50 AM
I believe that Serotta, like most of the premium custom builders, does not do the integrated headsets for exactly the reason you stated.

If you get an Ottrott, slam a King in there and forget about it for the rest of your blissful life. Headsets that work are one of life's great pleasures. I can say that after having had a number of bad experiences in the bad old days of binding headsets due to poor alignment of surfaces and pitting after just a few rides and so on and so forth.

A headset which works how it should is a great thing indeed. Without that, an expensive fork will just be a piece of crap.

You can tell that this is a minor passion of mine.

dbrk
03-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Happily, Serotta has avoided the dreaded integrated headset. There are better and worse versions of this terrible idea (terrible because a damaged headtube that would otherwise be easily repairable is rendered toast by the use of this poor notion). Chris King outlines the reasons for disapprobation and dismay as well as the instances in which it can be done more sensibly, but overall, it is just another euro-trend to be lamented. Merlins look darn ugly with them, imho and you will notice that though Tom Kellogg designs Merlins, not one of his Spectrum customers has asked for this. Anyway, that's more rant than you asked for. No integrated headsets on Serottas...hopefully ever, not yet.

dbrk

Kevin
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Chris King Ti in my Ottrott. Works great and you never have to think about it.

Kevin