PDA

View Full Version : Umm.....

jpw
04-17-2013, 03:18 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152367655318475.1073741839.56628518474&type=1

The Louis Vuitton Serotta. Umm...not sure about this.

Nooch
04-17-2013, 03:22 PM
welcome to Greenwich....

nevermind, came out of the manhattan shop!

but she should have upgraded to 9000 or at least di2..

firerescuefin
04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
welcome to Greenwich....

nevermind, came out of the manhattan shop!

If she rides it...and that was her vision, then I tip my cap. :)

jds108
04-17-2013, 03:51 PM
If she rides it...and that was her vision, then I tip my cap. :)

Sounds good to me too.

Nooch
04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
oh, I've got nothing against it -- and hopefully that leather will last her many years to come, as fine leather should. But it's just a little indicative of the area, is all :)

katematt
04-17-2013, 03:59 PM

At least 7900.... ever since I did, I can't stand looking at those cables sticking out there.

kudos however for dropping some extra coin on the bike industry.

54ny77
04-17-2013, 04:12 PM
not my cuppa style, but damn it all if that ain't top notch craftsmanship, and a service provided to a client who came in and asked how it can be done. and they got it done.

signature's service: tops. by far. fine bunch of folks who work there too.

hey nooch the shop is literally a few hundred feet from public housing. what kind of area you referring to that should be represented in bar tape?

;) :p

p.s. read the picture description: "Our client Liz came in and asked if we had anyone who could make an old LouisVuitton. Vuitton bag into a saddle and handlebar tape. We knew just who to ask, Busyman Bicycles in Austrailia."

MattTuck
04-17-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm sure they're all doing this at Serotta HQ. Nothing says racing credibility like Louis Vitton saddles and bar tape....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Edit: This is by no means taking away from that fine machine, or the effort/workmanship put into it. My comment was merely focused on Serotta's recent realignment to racing and performance, and how incongruous this particular bike is to that. It looks like a beautiful bike.

firerescuefin
04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
not my cuppa style, but damn it all if that ain't top notch craftsmanship, and a service provided to a client who came in and asked how it can be done. and they got it done.

signature's service: tops. by far. fine bunch of folks who work there too.

hey nooch the shop is literally a few hundred feet from public housing. what kind of area you referring to that should be represented in bar tape?

:smile:

I have never dealt with Signature...but I thought pretty much the same thing as your bolded text (above) when I looked at the pics. The execution is top notch. I am sure her smile was ear to ear.

reggiebaseball
04-17-2013, 04:18 PM
she should have saved a bit longer and gotten a Baum.

It would look better on her John Varvatos Chrysler 300.

54ny77
04-17-2013, 04:19 PM
people can say what they want, but i've brought my cheapo bikes in there for a 5 min. quick fix, often done gratis (but paid for with beer and an appreciative handshake) as well as very fair labor charge for more complex work. they're professionals, who set the bar in more ways than one.

you want that, or some disaffected guy with a regina cog pierced in his forehead, the unrewarded genius who thinks he should be servicing nasa space shuttles but instead gets his jolly's by mocking customers asking for m5 screws (not that i'm recounting a recent experience....:rolleyes:)?

I have never dealt with Signature...but I thought pretty much the same thing as your bolded text (above) when I looked at the pics. The execution is top notch. I am sure her smile was ear to ear.

tuscanyswe
04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Anyone know what white that is? looks very nice

false_Aest
04-17-2013, 04:57 PM
The bike is someone's paycheck. If they did it right, speedly and made her happy, **** YEAH!

Now if Ben would sit up and pay attention

1) YOU'VE FOUND YOUR PERFECT EFFING CO-SPONSOR. Time to Out Rapha Rapha

2) I smell a Beverly Hills Gran Fondue 2014 in the works.

3) Forget about some skinny ass doping dip****, get Lil' Kim to be your spokes-ho.

4) 1 + 2 + 3 = chocolate covered profits.

PS. UHHHHH HELLLOOOOO? LTD ED MUSETTE BAGS!!!

reggiebaseball
04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
you want that, or some disaffected guy with a regina cog pierced in his forehead, the unrewarded genius who thinks he should be servicing nasa space shuttles but instead gets his jolly's by mocking customers asking for m5 screws (not that i'm recounting a recent experience....:rolleyes:)?

woh!
I want that regina guy (to work on my bike)! I love the work of an under-appreciated genius.

shovelhd
04-17-2013, 06:29 PM
At least 7900.... ever since I did, I can't stand looking at those cables sticking out there.

kudos however for dropping some extra coin on the bike industry.

Jeez, I thought you folk would be all over the classic 7800.

dd74
04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
I like it. Good for her. Makes me think I should put my Brooks back on my Serotta.

SpokeValley
04-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I think it looks damned fine. I like the repurposing of the LV stuff. Nice touch and the shop did what the customer wanted. Right on.

It looks like an example of "If you've got the money, Honey, I've got the bike."

I'd like to follow the rider...;) Just to see the bike in person, of course.

fuzzalow
04-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes I like what was done also. This is great; a client of means went for a bike when there are hundreds of other more revolting tokens of conspicuous consumption she could have had instead.

The only incongruity is: why Vitton? That brand has been well and truly played out already, diluted and diminished from the overt stylin' preferences of da 'hood.

I would have went for Chanel or Hermes.

dd74
04-17-2013, 09:42 PM
The only incongruity is: why Vitton? That brand has been well and truly played out already, diluted and diminished from the overt stylin' preferences of da 'hood.
You answered your own question. It hasn't been played out on a bicycle seat.
That's what makes it so unique. And you know the quality is going to be spot on because it's Vitton.

I thought the same when I saw a Recaro baby seat. "Why?" Then I realized it was Recaro, and thought that it was brilliant.

charliedid
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
That bike rocks.

tiretrax
04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Calling JMoore! Start buying old purses at garage sales and open a showroom in HP Village!

jpw
04-18-2013, 03:34 AM
I was so dazzled by the LV that I failed to notice the retro gruppo.

The anti styling of the hoods cables offs the panache of LV.

Nice frame though :-)

Joel
04-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Re-purposing - check

Craftsmanship - check

Bespoke - check

Imaginative - check

This thing works on a whole lot of bunch of levels. And the 7800 keeps it from looking too bling-bling.

Credit where credit is due on this one!

Mr Cabletwitch
04-18-2013, 07:22 AM
I love the saddle bag!

My wife works for Coach and has a closet full of purses I wonder if I could steal one and have her saddle recovered in coach leather? I wonder how they got all the grip tape out of one purse? Can that be done? I need some input from the two guys on hear that recover saddles and make grip tape. If the price is reasonable I would get this done for my wife.

rugbysecondrow
04-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I don't understand the angst, it is a cool ride.

It is funny, guys on this board or so flipping vain about thier bikes (stem, saddle heigh, saddle type, bottle cages etc etc etc. Every single detail is nitpicked to the enth degree. Here, we have customer who got what she wanted and folks want to point. Sometimes I don't understand this thing of ours. :)

torquer
04-18-2013, 11:15 AM
What's great about this story is that da 'hood is Greenwich (or UWS, which is almost as good).
These accessories remind me of Dapper Dan's, a Harlem clothier who (at first, anyway) bought up Gucci tote bags and cut them up for bespoke clothing for hiphop stars, drug kingpins and Mike Tyson, among others. (At some point he started printing his own counterfeit-logoed leathers, but the lawyers for Gucci and others didn't differentiate, claiming IP infringement for both the "real" fakes and the repurposed originals.) Recent New Yorker article tells more of the story, including a cameo by SC Justice Sotamayor.
Anyway, I'd rock that LV bartape. How about it, HandleBra, you feelin' lucky?

fuzzalow
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
You answered your own question. It hasn't been played out on a bicycle seat.
That's what makes it so unique. And you know the quality is going to be spot on because it's Vitton.

Yeah you're right I missed it coming at it from the wrong angle. As a bike accessory it is very avant garde & cool.

I was looking at it from the point of view of the homogenized consumption patterns of the style conscious, but not style aware, upper tier consumer. There I would have guessed a trendier choice of brand like Prada, which is equally played out but came much later after LV.

What's great about this story is that da 'hood is Greenwich (or UWS, which is almost as good).

HaHa, so true. The funniest line I remember from that New Yorker article went something like "seeing LV logos on a handbag was one thing but seeing it all over on a full length coat was surreal".