PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Serotta - Presidential Bike??

AtlantaGirl
04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
I am brand new to this forum and need help IDing a Serotta Atlanta bicycle. A friend offered to do this for me, but I wanted to put in the work and learn about it all for myself. My plan is to use the proceeds to purchase a bike better suited for my short stature (5'2") and needs (city commuting).

The bike is an Atlanta Serotta bike in the red, white, and blue color scheme--and I think it is the Presidential bike. After much research, it looks identical to the bike owned by trophyoftexas (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=79354). His bike has the seat, handlebars, and tires upgraded from the original.

The serial number is AS 52 159 and was purchased from the Bicycle Link. I called Serotta but they didn't have any info because electronic records only go back to 1999. I think this was a limited edition bicycle name for the Olympics per trophyoftexas's post. However... my bike doesn't have the etched number anywhere. Does this mean that mine isn't the Presidential bike? Upon close inspection, I see that the number "12" is written on the made in USA sticker (http://www.flickr.com/photos/95008026@N07/8655882821/in/photostream).

Anyways, here is all the information I was able to compile about the bike, how did I do?

Brand: Serotta
Model: Atlanta
Serial number: AS 52 159
Frame size: 52
Color scheme: red, white, and blue AKA "the Presidential Bike"
Dura Ace, 172.55 mm crankset, 10 speed
Dura Ace Chain
Michelin Axial tires
Mavic Cosmos wheels, 6106 622x15
Carbon fiber fork
Frame tubing materia: Reynolds steel frame, Colorado Concept Proprietary
Serotta "S bend" chainstays.
Shimano 600 headset
3TTT Primo 220 handlebars
Thomson Elite seat post, 0 degree
Handmade in the USA

Nooch
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
i don't know anything about it -- but i kinda want it.. lol

christian
04-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Teehee! It has Mektronic! I'll be damned.

Frankly, the value in that bike is that it's in great shape, and that it's a an extremely high-quality steel bike. The additional "commemorative" value of the Olympics is basically nil. However, on top of that, you have a very rare shifting group - Mavic Mektronic. If that stuff works, it definitely has collector appeal.

You will maximize your profit by selling the following parts separately:

- Frame/Fork/Headset
- Crank/bottom bracket
- Brake calipers
- Mavic shifters/front derailleur/rear derailleur
- Wheels
- Everything else (bar/stem/post)

I think you'll get easily $650 for the frame set, and probably $225 for the wheels. The real value may be in the shifters and derailleurs, especially if they're pristine.

Cool bike!

christian
04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
BTW, that's not a Dura-Ace crank. It's Campagnolo Record.

SamIAm
04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Do you think there is some significance to "Presidential" other than that is what Trophy named it because he decided to ride it on president's birthdays?

AtlantaGirl
04-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Thank you! I wrote everything down and tried to research and identify parts myself--the process has been overwhelming. That's why I'm posting here first, so I don't mislead anyone.

I will try to take your advice. First step: Google and match the parts you named to parts on the bike. Obviously, I am not the original owner of this bike. My ex-roommate/best friend bailed and owes me thousands in rent so I said, "Hey, pay me back or I am going to sell that bike," without knowing a single thing about it. Since then, it's been sitting in my apartment taking up space.

fiamme red
04-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Do you think there is some significance to "Presidential" other than that is what Trophy named it because he decided to ride it on president's birthdays?I seem to remember that Trophy bought his Atlanta from Lou Deeter, who used to ride it on federal holidays.

AtlantaGirl
04-17-2013, 04:38 PM
I used Trophy's eBay listing (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FSerotta-Presidential-Atlanta-Campagnola-Camy-Mavic-56-road-cycling-bike-bicycle-%2F140849680153%3FViewItem%3D%26amp%3Bitem%3D14084 9680153%26amp%3Bnma%3Dtrue%26amp%3Bsi%3DcNOLdfzmOS aikxjn4xhic9ZrBMY%25253D%26amp%3Borig_cvip%3Dtrue% 26amp%3Brt%3Dnc%26amp%3B_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFJx6SmFGcJsSTINgZE91DMPr881g)for research and must have confused "Presidential" is not the official name. The 1996 Serotta catalog also lists "flag" as an optional color scheme.

There's a lot of mention about this specific bike and not just the parts, so I assumed that there was some significance to that--but I really have no idea! If it is a rare bike, I want the future owner to know that; if it's not--I want them to know that too!

mandasol
04-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Color scheme: red, white, and blue AKA "the Presidential Bike"
Dura Ace, 172.55 mm crankset, 10 speed
Dura Ace Chain
Michelin Axial tires
Mavic Cosmos wheels, 6106 622x15
Carbon fiber fork
Frame tubing materia: Reynolds steel frame, Colorado Concept Proprietary
Serotta "S bend" chainstays.
Shimano 600 headset
3TTT Primo 220 handlebars
Thomson Elite seat post, 0 degree
Handmade in the USA

Color: red, white, and blue
Cranks: Campagnolo Record, 172.55 mm, 53/39
Brakes: Campagnolo Record, dual pivot, pre-skeleton
Chain: Shimano
Tires: old and needs replacing, but are red, white and blue to match
Wheelset: Mavic Cosmos
Fork: Steel, threaded
Frame: Steel, 1" head tube, vertical dropouts
Headset: Shimano 600, threaded 1"
Bars: 3TTT (width is more important than brand)
Stem: Ritchey Quill
Seatpost: Thomson Elite, no setback, 27.2
Shifters/Rear Derailleur: Mavic Mektronic (wireless)
Pedals: Dura Ace 7700 (need spd-r cleats)

slidey
04-17-2013, 05:40 PM
The only way to know if your bike is a ltd version or not, is to verify that it has an etching. The best way to find out where the etching is to contact the seller in the eBay listing you've cited and ask them.

EDIT: What the ltd version will be worth over just a std version, is your call and what a prospective buyer wants to pay for it. However as Christian already indicated don't expect the ltd version to haul in a pot of gold as opposed to the std one.

If it is a rare bike, I want the future owner to know that; if it's not--I want them to know that too!

dustyrider
04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
So 52 is too big for 5'2" isn't there a 49 Atlanta in the classifieds....
Sell your frame and build this up:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=124551

Since you've already done the homework, you should grab the geometry from the Serotta catalog, too. Folks like to know those numbers.

Pete Mckeon
04-17-2013, 06:21 PM
for a 52 inch frame a 172.5 fame is incorrect, The frame is a stout frame but never came with a carbon fiber but with a steel frame. THe components are a BIG mismatch. Pass on everything but frame. A 53/39 crank is not a commuter. Just my opinion. Frame was a "spin off" the Atlanta Olympics probably. DO WHATEVER :) FOR YOU. As a commuter you ideally need a frame that handles racks in rear and fenders

AtlantaGirl
04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Maybe this is from being a collector myself (Kennar dolls), but I didn't want to split it up if it is a collectible item--even if sell for more. There's pain in collecting something and then seeing it separated and sold. It would take years for a collector to gather it all back together. From what I gather, it seems like it would be OK to sell this for parts--if I chose to go that route.

The only way to know if your bike is a ltd version or not, is to verify that it has an etching. The best way to find out where the etching is to contact the seller in the eBay listing you've cited and ask them.

EDIT: What the ltd version will be worth over just a std version, is your call and what a prospective buyer wants to pay for it. However as Christian already indicated don't expect the ltd version to haul in a pot of gold as opposed to the std one.

bigflax925
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
I am pretty sure that Serotta only offered framesets back in the day.

Any of the components that are on it would've been determined by the end user, whether that be the buyer of the frameset or the dealer that sold it.

There's no danger to the value or collector's status if parting it out.