PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Pedal

jpw
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Got a pedal that's stuck in the crank.

What would be a good spray or liquid to apply and soak in?

charliedid
04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
PB Blaster and a pipe for leverage.

bikerboy337
04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Any penetrant... PB Blast should work... can pick it up at a local auto store...

spray, let sit overnight, then retry...

EDIT: Charlie beat me to it by a few seconds...

AngryScientist
04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
what kind of crank?

if alloy, some gently application of heat will help too.

CNY rider
04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Make sure you are turning it the right direction.
Not suggesting you aren't but I'll be the first to admit I've screwed one up myself.

pdmtong
04-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Not suggesting you aren't but I'll be the first to admit I've screwed one up myself.

Not only this, but often times the issues is solved with a longer lever arm....my LBS has a pedal wrench that is a lot longer than my pedros and one push, the pedal came loose.

Tom
04-17-2013, 12:37 PM
One time I ordered a big bottle of purple Loctite, the kind they recommend you use on the binder bolt in a Campagnolo UT bottom bracket. I received a big box of steelworker tools instead. I called the company to find out what to do and they apologized and said they'd send a bottle out by overnight mail. I asked how they'd like me to send them back the steelworker tools, and they said keep them. I have to figure it was cheaper for them to write them off than pay shipping on the return, they're heavy.

Anyway, to make a short story long, one of the items was this enormous adjustable wrench. I mean, enormous. I finally found a use for it when I had a pedal frozen the same way. It worked great.

jpw
04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
what kind of crank?

if alloy, some gently application of heat will help too.

it's alloy.

how much heat, and with what?

jpw
04-17-2013, 12:38 PM

i wrote it down after the last time :-)

jpw
04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
One time I ordered a big bottle of purple Loctite, the kind they recommend you use on the binder bolt in a Campagnolo UT bottom bracket. I received a big box of steelworker tools instead. I called the company to find out what to do and they apologized and said they'd send a bottle out by overnight mail. I asked how they'd like me to send them back the steelworker tools, and they said keep them. I have to figure it was cheaper for them to write them off than pay shipping on the return, they're heavy.

Anyway, to make a short story long, one of the items was this enormous adjustable wrench. I mean, enormous. I finally found a use for it when I had a pedal frozen the same way. It worked great.

purple loctite? I've not come across that before. I'll check it out.

cp43
04-17-2013, 01:24 PM
it's alloy.

how much heat, and with what?

Personally, I'd only go for heat after penetrating oil and a longer wrench have failed. I've never had to go the heat route, but I'd guess that a propane torch would be enough, and cool enough to reduce the risk of doing any damage.

I did once have to tape my pedal wrench to a 3 foot bar clamp to get a pedal off, so, think of leverage in those terms, and see if you can't get it out without a torch.

Chris

bart998
04-17-2013, 01:36 PM
try CRC Freeze-off... worked great on a severely frozen seat post in a frame I bought. Uses CO2 and Penetrating oil.... spray for a full minute on the steel pedal shaft and let the cold CO2 shrink it enough to let the oil penetrate the threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0BaowQvL6c

jpw
04-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Success! :-)

In the end I used Triflow lubricant soaking in for two days, and copper grease, with lots of half turns in and out and micro dosing. Eventually it came off without damage.

Cheers.

Ahneida Ride
04-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Ammonia works for a stuck seat post .... see Sheldon Brown

Ken Robb
04-21-2013, 09:57 AM
I never turn the wrench the wrong way on pedals because I remember to "BACK OFF". Whichever side of the bike I am on turning the wrench toward the rear of the bike loosens the pedal. I did try turning one the wrong way once long ago. Don't we all?

Louis
04-21-2013, 05:40 PM
I never turn the wrench the wrong way on pedals because I remember to "BACK OFF". Whichever side of the bike I am on turning the wrench toward the rear of the bike loosens the pedal.

Ken, that's a great memory-hook.

Another option is to look at an extra set of pedals and confirm which one is a RH thread and which one is a LH thread. (Obviously this only works for one-sided pedals, not stuff like SpeedPlay or egg-beaters, where it isn't obvious which one goes on the left side and which one goes on the right.)