PDA

View Full Version : Electrolytes

ericspin
11-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Are any of you guys using Hammer Endurolytes? I received a sample trial of these at a three day cycling event that I did in Sebring around labor day. I have always equated electrolytes to hot weather. Anyway, I really liked the result and decided to buy some along with another one of their products called Perpeteum. I have been using them now for about three weeks. I have had a very unexpected result. No backache. I decided to take them as suggested. Before, during and after my ride. I have had this backache thing that has always plagued me. I do not believe it to be a fit issue, I am fortunate to have been fit by Tony Prioli at Chainwheel Drive. My fit with Tony is some of the best money I have ever spent related to my cycling. Back to the backache thing, I mean it really hurts. Typically on one side, and once it starts I wiggle around in the saddle and sometimes even have to get off the bike and stretch. The backache normally starts somewhere in the mid 30 mile range and lasts until I am finished whether it is a 40 mile ride or an 80 mile ride. Since I have been taking the Endurolytes I have had NO BACKACHE. So, was it back spasms or is it just all in my head. I think not(all in my head). Of course, the heat has subsided this time of year but I am going to continue to use them. Another thought. I drink a lot of water on the bike, sometimes I think too much. Could I be washing my electrolytes away?
Thanks, Eric

billrick
11-25-2005, 02:23 PM
I have been a fan of Enduralytes for a few years now. I will say up front that there is absolutely no substitute for training, but these pills have consistently allowed me to ride beyond whatever level of fitness I have actually earned. I normally experience horrible muscle cramps on long rides early in the season, but with 1-2 of these capsules per hour I can ride cramp free. After a tough work schedule and little training, the Enduralytes got me throught the Hotter'n Hell 100 this year. I'm no medical expert, but I would not be surprised if your back pain was related to muscle cramps, relieved by the Enduralytes. That is a nice little side-effect!

Bruce K
11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Heat and I have never really gotten along very well. As an older, tending to clysdale, recreational cyclist Endurolyts were suggested to me by a freind who raced and did some tris.

I have done much better in the hot weather since using the Endurolytes, even better than some of my fitter freinds.

There have been other threads about this product and I don't remember any detractors.

BK

Cadence230
11-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Changed my bike life for the better!

znfdl
11-26-2005, 12:11 PM
You should also use their Anti fatigue Caps in conjunction with the Endurolytes.

vaxn8r
11-26-2005, 03:12 PM
When I use that stuff I can do the entire ride in 2 taller gears than I can without. Same wheels, same bike, same courses and avg windspeeds so I know I'm right on. I also find I never need to use the small chainring on anything under about a 12% incline. The stuff is amazing! No chain baby!

Sandy
11-26-2005, 03:14 PM
When I use that stuff I can do the entire ride in 2 taller gears than I can without. Same wheels, same bike, same courses and avg windspeeds so I know I'm right on. I also find I never need to use the small chainring on anything under about a 12% incline. The stuff is amazing! No chain baby!

Just imagine how well you would do with the chain! :)

Sandy

weisan
11-26-2005, 07:44 PM
I developed a very bad habit of late. I like to pop two of the endurolytes pills into my mouth at the last 10 miles of the ride and rip off everybody's legs. :D

My only bone: wish I could get it cheaper... :cool:

ashwinearl
11-30-2005, 08:19 AM
I've used endurolytes but much prefer the form factor of Elete Water over the pill of endurolyte. I believe the accomplish the same thing, but in rides/races I didn't like stopping to take the pill and mixing the endurolyte in water just created a gritty feeling.

I did a write up a few months ago here:
http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2005/07/preliminary-review-elete-electrolyte.html

Too Tall
11-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Were you emptying e-caps Endurolyte capsules into your bottles or using their powered version designed for mixing directly into bottles? The pill contents have a component that will not mix easily so if that's the case I understand. What I like most about e-caps in pill form is that I can tailor dosage on the fly. Taking the small pills is easy if you find a method that works for you. I use small coin purses.

Bruce K
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
The coin purses (usually free with an order) work great except when raining. Occassionally water seeps into the slot.

Like you TT, I like the ability to take 1, 2, or 3 as I feel the need.

In any even I can usually cram enough capsules into one to cover a hot Century.

BK

davep
11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
I've used Endorolytes for about a year and wouldn't go back. For long rides (100+ miles) its hard to carry enough powder to mix, while I can easily carry enough pills for any length ride. I have thought about trying the Succeed brand pills which supposedly have more elctrolytes per pill, but have a couple bottles of Endurolytes I should use first.

I too like the ability to take more or less as needed. On a recent ride I started cramping so I popped a couple more, and then a couple more a half hour later and kept the cramping in control.

For dispensing I went to a pharmacy and got a small pill bottle. It holds 30 pills, which for me is enough for 6 - 12 hours, depending on the heat.

JohnS
11-30-2005, 10:15 AM
You're all a bunch of dopers!!! :beer: :no: :banana: :D

Too Tall
11-30-2005, 12:41 PM
JohnS - Don't Bogart that electrolyte my friend parse it over to me ;)

Davep - Try the round zippered coin purses sold at toy stores...they are nearly waterproof. Also, one of my athletes uses succeed...works for him however read and be aware that you are taking quite a bit more Sodium / dose. That's not a bad thing just a relatively bigger hammer.

maccpres
11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I started using home made salt pills ( table salt 75 % morton salt lite 25%). It helped tremendously with my cramping. Dose anyone think Enduralytes are worth the extra money over salt tabs.

Kevan
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
with the weight of that bag of dog food?

Well, I'm here to tell ya....I looked in his back jersey pocket and instead found a big container of these:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?ccd=IDW003&pgguid=2e87c417-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

If that ain't strange, call me Wilber.

Seriously, those tabs are fabs.

Ray
11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't use them regularly, but I take them on really long rides in really hot weather. If it's up near 90 or above and humid (it's always humid around here when it's that hot) and I'm doing anything much longer than a metric, I'll take endurolytes as well. They don't make me any faster, but they certainly get through those later miles in a lot more comfort and feeling stronger. So maybe they do make me a little bit faster over the distance.

-Ray

weisan
12-02-2005, 10:58 PM
http://alicehui.com/serotta/floss/floss_box.jpg
This is my improvised "capsule dispenser" made out of the floss dispenser with its inside content clear out . It can hold up to 8 caps, which is good for up to 5-hours ride assuming you take two per hour, and starting from +1 hour into the ride.
It opens and closes with a gentle touch, keep everything inside, and easy to feed to your mouth plus it's small enough to fit "two packs of dopes" in the back pocket if you have to. With 16 capsules (WOW!), it will be good for that extra special 8-hours-hit-the-bonk-use-up-all-my-spare-tubes-walk-home-kinda-ride. You know what I mean... :D

Oh and lastly, it can be waterproof if you keep it upright :banana:

JohnS
12-03-2005, 08:01 AM
with the weight of that bag of dog food?

Well, I'm here to tell ya....I looked in his back jersey pocket and instead found a big container of these:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?ccd=IDW003&pgguid=2e87c417-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

If that ain't strange, call me Wilber.

Seriously, those tabs are fabs.
That must be what all the "Clydesdales" around here use. :)

toaster
12-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Snake oil.

weisan
12-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Just came back from a 6-hrs ride. The extra "2" saves my life at the last 10 miles mark. :D

Mud
12-03-2005, 06:00 PM
I cannot handle drinks that have calcium in them. It is an immediate kidney stone trigger for me. I have been using Accelerade products and have stopped them even though the calcium content is marginal. Stopping all forms of external calcium has stopped a ton of pain for me.

I use Hammer Gel and Gatorade although today's ride was just some water and Gatorade after because it was so cold it is hard to force myself to drink.

My ID is new but I have been on the site for a while. I changed some info in the personal stuff and my old ID will not work so I could see the pictures.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. :)