PDA

View Full Version : Litespeed Ultimate??

colod
04-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Anyone have thoughts on what the value of an older (1" headset), full titanium Litespeed Ultimate in decent shape might be? Have someone offering one as part of a trade. I like Ti but not entirely sure what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.

vav
04-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Frame only? or F/F/HS? fork is threaded/threadless? HS is CK? Dura Ace? Shimano 600? Size is 54-58?

FWIW I sold mine a year ago complete for around 1200-300 if I remember correctly. Size 57. Ksyrium Elite wheels. 1 inch Threadless Wound up fork/ CK headset. 3T stem/post. Fizik Arione saddle and full Shimano 105 5600

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=93774&stc=1&d=1334769640

Dave
04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
The ultimate is a very stiff Ti frame with short chainstays. I had one for a year, but the ride was stiffer than I could tolerate, so I sold it.

firerescuefin
04-16-2013, 05:51 PM
The ultimate is a very stiff Ti frame with short chainstays. I had one for a year, but the ride was stiffer than I could tolerate, so I sold it.

Dave...I never owned one, but I had ridden one of that vintage (2000) for a week and it didn't seem that stiff to me, actually pretty comfy....Curious what you're comparing it to.

Mid 2000's Vortex was a pretty stiff ride, but was advertised as such.

vav
04-16-2013, 05:52 PM

I ride 57-58 cm bikes and I found mine on the pic above for whatever reason really uncomfortable. Could never make it work.
MIne was 96-98 I believe

fvracer72
04-16-2013, 06:02 PM
FWIW
I'm riding an '05 Tuscany (more of an all-rounder than anything else) it rides very smooth, I'm racing it only because it is all I have at the moment.....
once I get the new bike I will be keeping it though

hankchong
04-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I ride a 1997 Ultimate--full Ti, shaped tubes, 1" head tube. I also find it quite comfortable and stable over long distances. I've used for centuries and the multiday charity rides. Go for it. It's a fun frame.

colod
04-16-2013, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=vav;1331906]Frame only? or F/F/HS? fork is threaded/threadless? HS is CK? Dura Ace? Shimano 600? Size is 54-58?

Thanks for the input. I don't yet know all the answers to these questions, but this is the bike in question: http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/3713700075.html

53cm, threaded fork, and I'm told a mix of Dura Ace and newer Ultegra. Trying to get more details, but for now wondering about ballpark.

victoryfactory
04-17-2013, 05:01 AM
The ultimate had 6/4 Ti tubes which at the time was unusual and expensive
and remains a questionable tube choice. IMO
Was Litespeed just doing it because it was hard to do ?
I think it was the ultimate that began the days at Litespeed where it was
hard to tell if they were selling innovation or experiments or marketing
or bikes.
Still not sure, but they went through a tube shaping binge too. One thing
is sure, the Litespeed folks tried it all. They ( the Lynskeys) have more
Ti experience than anyone.
Sort of the opposite of Serotta who are known to be conservative in
adopting new tech, Litespeed was putting it out there to to stand or fall
on its own merit.

The Tuscany was 3/2.5 Ti and one of the nicest riding bikes I've owned.
FWIW

VF

Ahneida Ride
04-17-2013, 07:16 AM
I would guess 400 - 800 frns.

The market for used bike is weak.

Dave
04-17-2013, 10:26 AM
The frame shown on craig's list is similar to the one I owned, but doesn't appear to have the bladed downtube that mine had. Mine had a 1" steering tube on it. I used a LOOK carbon fork, with a Campy threadless headset. The frame should be a '98 model that I bought for $1900 in November of that year, from Colorado Cyclist. The components are Campy Record, 9 speed.

My bike handled fine, but it rode just as rough as a C'dale aluminum frame of the same era.

http://i45.tinypic.com/zvvqfs.jpg

mistermo
04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I ride with a guy who has a 6/4 Ultimate and swears by it. He's a pretty strong rider and has had other ti bikes including 3/2.5 Litespeeds and Merlins and prefers the Ultimate for it's increased stiffness. He believes the 'magic' comes from the 6/4 tubes and thinks that it has the stiffness other ti bikes of the generation lacked.

colod
04-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks. I'm still trying to gather up a little more detail on this bike, but I'm thinking that unless the components and wheels are in great shape I'd value it around $1k max.

I used to own a 1998 Dean titanium frame, which I enjoyed until it was stolen. I'd probably prefer another one of those to this one, but what I'd really like is a nice steel frame with good modern componentry.

Exonerv
04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=127960

Seems to fit what you're looking for...

I also have a Dean, but that one is not for sale :)

colod
04-18-2013, 08:28 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=127960

Seems to fit what you're looking for...

I also have a Dean, but that one is not for sale :)

That is about what I'm looking for. Wish it were smaller.

pbarry
04-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Fair asking price for that bike. If you're in CO and get it, I'd love to ride it for a few miles to feel the 6/4 difference vs. 3/2.5.

colod
04-18-2013, 10:32 PM
I am in Colorado, but I think it's probably overpriced by a few hundred, at least to me. If we make a deal work I'd be happy to let you take it for a spin (or sell it to you for the listed price ;)

pbarry
04-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks but it's short for me. In the right place, 6/4 tubing is perfect in my mind: DT/ Chainstays. Will trade, ride for ride, with a few choice vintage bikes a bit long for you, but worth the reach.

colod
04-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Fair enough. I started my actual riding on my father's 1970(ish) Allegro, size 56, so I know the feel of vintage bikes with longer reaches. (Not as flexible as I was 25 years ago, but still...)

If we make a deal I will let you know.

RFC
04-19-2013, 01:27 PM
I have had a 98 Ultimate for about 5 years and still ride the hell out of it. Yes, it's very stiff. I have owned and ridden a number of Ti bikes and it is the stiffest of the bunch. I got a kick out of the comparison to the early Cannondales. My Ultimate is not quite as stiff as my 88' Blueberry Cannonball, which some say is the stiffest production bike ever built.

But, I like that quality in both bikes. They are rockets and the acceleration is very noticeable. Punch it at a stop light and you'll beat the drivers across. Kick it up gear and the retros fire and it leaps.

Now, personally, I can ride a long ways on a stiff bike, so I haven't had any comfort problems. But others may differ.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/Ultimate2r-1_zpsa6c9c48f.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/Ultimate2r-1_zpsa6c9c48f.jpg.html)

VA-Scooter
04-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Looks like my 97 Ultimate. Love that bike-Did everything on it. Group rides-Centuries- Crits. Mine came straight out of David Lynskey's garage-Was his bike. My wife stopped by to see her sister {another story} and he put his bike in her van & sent it to Virginia. Rode it full time till last year. Replaced it with a Lynskey-Had to pay this time.

RFC
04-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Looks like my 97 Ultimate. Love that bike-Did everything on it. Group rides-Centuries- Crits. Mine came straight out of David Lynskey's garage-Was his bike. My wife stopped by to see her sister {another story} and he put his bike in her van & sent it to Virginia. Rode it full time till last year. Replaced it with a Lynskey-Had to pay this time.

OK, you have to tell us more of the Lynskey story. And I certainly hope you kept Lynskey's Linskey. BTW, what Llynskey did you buy?

For a brief period of years before carbon dominated, the Lynskey Litespeeds developed a very respectable international racing record, including the sprint jersey at the 2000 or 2001 TdF and Lance's Trek branded Litespeed TT bike in another TdF.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I have had a 98 Ultimate for about 5 years and still ride the hell out of it. Yes, it's very stiff. I have owned and ridden a number of Ti bikes and it is the stiffest of the bunch. I got a kick out of the comparison to the early Cannondales. My Ultimate is not quite as stiff as my 88' Blueberry Cannonball, which some say is the stiffest production bike ever built.

But, I like that quality in both bikes. They are rockets and the acceleration is very noticeable. Punch it at a stop light and you'll beat the drivers across. Kick it up gear and the retros fire and it leaps.

Now, personally, I can ride a long ways on a stiff bike, so I haven't had any comfort problems. But others may differ.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/Ultimate2r-1_zpsa6c9c48f.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/Ultimate2r-1_zpsa6c9c48f.jpg.html)

With CXP-30 rims to boot. mavic 'answer' to Shamals..they 'do' tend to ride stiff. I sold Litespeed before in a previous shop, when Litespeed was Litespeed and the Ultimate and Vortex were the high end, race oriented frames. Both very nice, IMHO.

colod
04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Best I can tell it's a '97: has the curved seat tube but straight stays, tapered top tube. Lynskey signature on one chainstay. I don't think it's 6/4 - sticker says 3/2.5.

I think I'm going to be able to work out a deal for it, so I should be able to come up with more details.

oldpotatoe
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Best I can tell it's a '97: has the curved seat tube but straight stays, tapered top tube. Lynskey signature on one chainstay. I don't think it's 6/4 - sticker says 3/2.5.

I think I'm going to be able to work out a deal for it, so I should be able to come up with more details.

Pretty sure the one with bent tubes was 6/4 main triangle and rest 3/2.5...Vortex was all 6/4..but long time ago.

LJohnny
04-23-2013, 08:44 PM
http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/ultimatebuilt.jpg

This is my '98: 10S Campy Chorus, Fulcrum racing1. Since this pic was taken, only the saddle/seatpost has been changed. It has a Brooks Swallow on a Nitto post now.
I don't find this ride harsh at all. Maybe is the dampening of a leather saddle with Ti rails.

VA-Scooter
04-23-2013, 08:58 PM
OK, you have to tell us more of the Lynskey story. And I certainly hope you kept Lynskey's Linskey. BTW, what Llynskey did you buy?

For a brief period of years before carbon dominated, the Lynskey Litespeeds developed a very respectable international racing record, including the sprint jersey at the 2000 or 2001 TdF and Lance's Trek branded Litespeed TT bike in another TdF.

Lance's 1999 TDF Trek Time Trial bike was built by David Lynskey at Litespeed. My sister in law lived with David for 10 years when he was just starting Litespeed. I do still have his Litespeed Ultimate in my basement. Last year I purchased a Lynskey Cooper CX with disc brakes & Utegra Di2.

djg21
04-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Pretty sure the one with bent tubes was 6/4 main triangle and rest 3/2.5...Vortex was all 6/4..but long time ago.

The Vortex was made through the early 2000s. I had a 2002. It was all 6/4 and it was a really nice bike. Unfortunately, it got broken in half in an encounter with a Car. But Litespeed replaced the broken toptube and downtube, replaced the head tube with one that took a traditional rather than integrated headset, and restored the bike to new condition, all for a nominal (relatively) cost (couldn't have been much more than its cost for the replacement tubes). The bike is now being enjoyed by someone else.

I now ride a Lynskey Custom 440 that my insurance company paid for. While the Lynskey has only a 6/4 main triangle, it is MUCH stiffer than the Vortex in the bottom bracket, and much stiffer than any other Ti bike I have ridden largely because of the oversized biaxial downtube.

RFC
04-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Lance's 1999 TDF Trek Time Trial bike was built by David Lynskey at Litespeed. My sister in law lived with David for 10 years when he was just starting Litespeed. I do still have his Litespeed Ultimate in my basement. Last year I purchased a Lynskey Cooper CX with disc brakes & Utegra Di2.

Great story. I'd hang on to that bike. I have looked at the Coopers. Very nice bikes. However, I already have a 2000 Lynskey Appalachian.

VA-Scooter
04-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Great story. I'd hang on to that bike. I have looked at the Coopers. Very nice bikes. However, I already have a 2000 Lynskey Appalachian.

My kids cheap mountain bikes got some comments when guys would notice the titanium stem or seatpost that their Aunt had given them for Christmas. Probably cost more than the bike.

RFC
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
My kids cheap mountain bikes got some comments when guys would notice the titanium stem or seatpost that their Aunt had given them for Christmas. Probably cost more than the bike.
I think I would like to have an "Uncle" Lynskey.

colod
04-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Fair asking price for that bike. If you're in CO and get it, I'd love to ride it for a few miles to feel the 6/4 difference vs. 3/2.5.

Well, I now own this bike, but I think it is 3/2.5 - at least that's what the sticker says. Trying to get a feel for it myself - think it's probably a little to small for me so it may go back up for sale soon.

colod
04-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Well, I now own this bike, but I think it is 3/2.5 - at least that's what the sticker says. Trying to get a feel for it myself - think it's probably a little to small for me so it may go back up for sale soon.

Also, I meant to say that if you're in the metro area let me know and you're welcome to give it a ride (despite the sticker).

VA-Scooter
04-29-2013, 05:21 AM
I think I would like to have an "Uncle" Lynskey.

Never really had a "Uncle Lynskey". Had an Aunt that was almost a Lynskey. But that ended years ago. Have not seen David in years but my we do get a Christmas card from Mark ever year.