PDA

View Full Version : Biopace 2.0

cmbicycles
04-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Has anyone used ossymetric chainrings? I saw some on a bike the other day and it just reminded me of Shimano's biopace on steroids...

I know some people like the rotor rings, but the ossymetric rings just look ridiculous.

tiretrax
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
I had biopace rings back in the day, and now, thinking about it, my knees are getting sore ... again.

tiretrax
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
I had biopace rings back in the day, and now, thinking about it, my knees are getting sore ... again. Supposedly, the kinks have been worked out, but I am not going to go down that road again.

Waldo
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
I like Rotor rings. I go back and forth between bikes with them and bikes with round rings. They don't feel weird or anything, but not being a princess, I don't feel the pea of the extra handful of watts they're supposed to provide.

Pete Mckeon
04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
And if they get a smile from yu:) then they are good for yu. for me
I personally have no need for them

Dude
04-17-2013, 08:33 AM
The rotor rings are good for longer sustained efforts (TTs, Hillclimbs, etc). My former coach had a few other athletes using them and found measurable improvements using the rotor rings over round rings. Anytime there were peaks/valleys of power output, there was less of an advantage. But for road races that finished with a 20+ mile steady climb they would use them.

For ossymetric, I don't have any first/second hand information. They are a pain in the ass to set up.

ultraman6970
04-17-2013, 06:55 PM
No idea about the new stuff but biopace was bad, really really bad for racing... That was the reason it failed, since the new brands have lasted way more years than biopace did I assume that they work way better.