PDA

View Full Version : OT - what is that fishing boat documentary name?

d_douglas
04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Folks,

I was telling my wife about this cool doc about the odyssey of a fishing boat leaving port in New England and following the route of ??? Moby Dick? I cannot remember any more details at all other than that it was recently released and was 'revolutionary' in its cinematography, etc.

Can anybody clue me in here?

Thanks alot,

Darren

slidey
04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Leviathan (http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/screens/2013-04-14/make-way-for-leviathan/)??

Louis
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM
The Whaleship Essex, I believe.

Let me Google it to check.

Edit: Darren, I couldn't find any recent documentaries on the Essex, but that's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Over the years there have been many articles, books and documentaries about it.

d_douglas
04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
It's Leviathan. Perfect.

Looks amazing...

dd74
04-16-2013, 03:47 AM
Hasn't working on a fishing boat been deemed the most dangerous profession in the world?

BobC
04-16-2013, 05:43 AM
"In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick

Great book. I had never read Moby Dick, but heard about Philbrick's book. So I decided to read "In the Heart of the Sea" then read Moby Dick. I thought it made reading Melville's book that much better as I knew more about the story (just like Melville's readers probably did when he wrote it).

saf-t
04-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Hasn't working on a fishing boat been deemed the most dangerous profession in the world?

It's always been near if not at the top of the Bureau of Labor Statistics most dangerous occupations.