PDA

View Full Version : And another stupid question.

akelman
04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm afraid I have no experience with SRAM components, and I'm trying to remove a set of Red cranks. To extract these, should I be turning the binder bolt clockwise or counter-clockwise? Thanks in advance. And I apologize for the barrage of dumb questions.

vav
04-15-2013, 09:38 PM
counter ;)

vqdriver
04-15-2013, 09:42 PM
self extracting
lefty loosey

akelman
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Groovy. Thanks, gents.

akelman
04-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaand, I give up. I guess this is why The Market invented bike shops.

vqdriver
04-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Make sure you're working on the correct bolt. One will remove the self extracting mechanism and the other is for installing uninstalling the arm. I think the one you want is 8mm? It gets crazy tight tho. I think I had to whack my hex handle with a rubber mallet

akelman
04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Make sure you're working on the correct bolt. One will remove the self extracting mechanism and the other is for installing uninstalling the arm. I think the one you want is 8mm? It gets crazy tight tho. I think I had to whack my hex handle with a rubber mallet

Huh, now you've undermined my (already shaky) confidence. That said, I've been working with an 8 mm wrench, so I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track. But as you say, it's insanely tight.

vqdriver
04-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I gotta say. From a usability standpoint I really dislike this method of mounting and tightening cranks a la sram and campagnolo because u have to hold one crankarm while working the tool. I much prefer the side bolts of the hollowtech ii system.

Peter B
04-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Huh, now you've undermined my (already shaky) confidence. That said, I've been working with an 8 mm wrench, so I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track. But as you say, it's insanely tight.

Ari,

The 8mm bolt holds the arm on and it is located 'behind' a much larger hexed 'ring'. That outer ring has been installed tight to the 8mm bolt. When you loosen the 8mm inner bolt it is backed into the 'ring' and as you continue to unscrew the bolt it forces the crankarm off. Just like old Dura...oh nevermind.

PS. Glad to see you're back in the game!

akelman
04-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Ari,

The 8mm bolt holds the arm on and it is located 'behind' a much larger hexed 'ring'. That outer ring has been installed tight to the 8mm bolt. When you loosen the 8mm inner bolt it is backed into the 'ring' and as you continue to unscrew the bolt it forces the crankarm off. Just like old Dura...oh nevermind.

PS. Glad to see you're back in the game!

Thanks, Peter. Much appreciated.

Peter B
04-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Now elucidate on the nuanced subjective shifting action lever feel of 2013 Chorus levers vs. the click & clack of my tried and true 10v.

akelman
04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Couldn't tell you. My hands don't like the new levers, so I stick with the old stuff. As you say, tried and true.

oldpotatoe
04-16-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm afraid I have no experience with SRAM components, and I'm trying to remove a set of Red cranks. To extract these, should I be turning the binder bolt clockwise or counter-clockwise? Thanks in advance. And I apologize for the barrage of dumb questions.

No dumb questions.lefty-loosey.

victoryfactory
04-16-2013, 07:25 AM
No dumb questions.lefty-loosey.

and don't forget the corollary which applies to BB shells:
Drive (side) is Jive (Left threaded)

VF

Peter B
04-16-2013, 09:05 AM
and don't forget the corollary which applies to BB shells:
Drive (side) is Jive (Left threaded)

VF