PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Fuso FR1 or FRX?

Joachim
04-15-2013, 06:56 PM
So I managed to pick up a Fuso FRX (Columbus TSX tubing) frame and fork in great condition. However, Fuso's are known for their steep seat angles. Anyone here own one and another bike with a less steep seat angle? If so, did you adapt to the different in fit? I won't be the same distance behind the bb, but I don't think Fuso's are designed to sit the same behind the bb as other bikes (at least according to Dave Moulton's blog), ie a more racier position.

jr59
04-15-2013, 07:48 PM
You could always just email Dave and ask him. He's a very nice guy.

dave.moulton.35@facebook.com

Lanterne Rouge
04-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Me me me, I own one! I've got a 30th anniversary edition :banana: it's an FRX.

I'm led to believe that it's typical Italian stage geometry and is pretty comfortable, and actually is a lot more comfortable than my Cannondale Synapse it replaced (supposedly a "plush" frame but I don't think it being aluminium helped).

The handling is sharp and precise and I don't consider it twitchy like more upright frames can be.

Enjoy the frame dude.

Edited to add more dancing bananas
:banana::banana:

Edited again to +1 for Dave Moulton, he's a really nice and helpful guy and not to mention a master frame builder

toytech
04-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Glad it arrived in one piece. :D The geo is pretty typical for an Italian bike as noted. Very similar to my Colnago Mexico.

Joachim
04-16-2013, 05:45 AM
I get that its less twitchy due to the long trail it has but I think a 74.5 degree seat angle is pretty steep for a 55cm top tube in 'traditional italian geometry'. Anyway, I emailed Dave Moulton, good thing he is local and might even be able to check the fit. Hopefully it works with my long femurs.

Marz
04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
I have an FR1 and it's decked out in C-Record era components.

Yes, I've run out of setback on the Chorus seatpost I'm using so I can't achieve the 5cm behind the BB that I can with other slacker angled frames. Don't want to swap out seatpost with other brand as I'm OCD about components.

I've even slammed the Regal saddle back as far as is safe to go.

My bike is a size 54, i.e. 54 cm top tube, c-c, 52 cm seat tube, c-c. Dave goes by the seat tube c-t measurement to size his bikes.

Toytech, I don't agree that it's typical Italian geometry. I have a Pegoretti Marcelo size 52, 52cm X 53.5cm and its seat tube angle is 74 degrees, whereas the Fuso is 75.5 degrees. My size 52 De Rosa Merak has the same measurements as the Marcelo and its seat angle is 74.3 degrees.

Edited to add that Dave Moulton is very helpful and that it's a great bike. Although, as I pointed out to Dave, does anyone else's Fuso have different thicknesses on front fork dropouts, like mine? All aligned but odd looking. Dave told me that left and right forks were prepared at different times in readiness for frame building, like a production line.

Waldo
04-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Dave used to have a cycling blog in which he posted size/fit recommendations. Using his system, I'd have needed a 57 or a 58, instead of the 60 Fuso I had and liked a lot. This may explain the angles and setback issues you've encountered.

Joachim
04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
I emailed Dave and he said to forget about the distance behind the bb for now. Set saddle height, get the bar reach correct and go ride to see how it feels. After a few rides he will drop by my house so we can get the fit dialed in. Pretty cool.

jr59
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
I emailed Dave and he said to forget about the distance behind the bb for now. Set saddle height, get the bar reach correct and go ride to see how it feels. After a few rides he will drop by my house so we can get the fit dialed in. Pretty cool.

Can't get much better than that! He a great guy! Pretty funny follow on FB and an ok songwriter...... Wait tell him he's a great song writer! Better to be safe!!:p

bikingshearer
04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Nothing to add here - agree that Dave Moulton is a top-drawer guy, Fusos are great bikes, etc.

But why are there no photos of your new steed for us to drool over? That's like having Hunter Thompson visit you in the hospital and not offering him any of your medications.

phcollard
04-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Nothing to add here - agree that Dave Moulton is a top-drawer guy, Fusos are great bikes, etc.

But why are there no photos of your new steed for us to drool over? That's like having Hunter Thompson visit you in the hospital and not offering him any of your medications.

There you go... http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1319265&postcount=13

I was all over this one but I finally decided to let it go to somebody else. I'm happy that you got it Joachim. It's totally awesome!

Chris
04-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Here's a recent entry from Dave on weight distribution and it actually addresses why his frames have the steeper angles...

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2013/4/2/weight-distribution.html

Lanterne Rouge
04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
I stripped, re-greased and rebuilt the headset on my Fuso this evening and I was pleasantly surprised to see it has needle bearings top and bottom.

I've never come across this before and wondered if it was common to all Fuso bikes.

A further sign of quality and a considered approach to putting bikes together, well at least it is in my opinion.

Joachim
04-17-2013, 06:31 AM
I stripped, re-greased and rebuilt the headset on my Fuso this evening and I was pleasantly surprised to see it has needle bearings top and bottom.

I've never come across this before and wondered if it was common to all Fuso bikes.

A further sign of quality and a considered approach to putting bikes together, well at least it is in my opinion.

AFAIK not all Fuso's came with headsets.