PDA

View Full Version : Goodrich Wonderbike

erikbrooks
04-15-2013, 05:07 PM
I took delivery of a Goodrich bike a week ago, and I'm riding the heck out of it.
I asked Curt for a very versatile bike that takes 28MM tires with fenders, or 33MM without.

FYI, my choices were influenced by Andy Hampsten's bike - http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/giro08/tech.php?id=/tech/2008/probikes/andy_hampsten_may08

I was concerned about dealing with a builder far away, so I engaged Andy's brother Steve to help me with fitting and building the bike, and that worked well.

I ride off pavement when possible. Basic build is current Ultegra 2 by 10. But I don't care for the looks of the current Shimano cranks. I wanted a classical look, so I asked for these Velo Orange modern cranks.
I plan to take this on some plane rides, so I asked for the S&S couplings.

The bike feels creamy smooth. Comfortable and stable. I've sampled stable bikes, and nimble bikes, but never in the same bike. Loving it!

bikingshearer
04-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Very nice. Congrats.

gomango
04-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I live in the Twin Cities and get to see a Goodrich from time to time.

They are beautiful and so is this one.

Congrats to the fortunate owner.

Frankwurst
04-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Beautiful bike! I firmly believe if you can imagine it and describe it Curt can build it. Enjoy!:beer:

firerescuefin
04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Wowza....really nice Goodrich

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Perfect fender lines of course. Great color.

charliedid
04-16-2013, 07:37 AM

dekindy
04-16-2013, 07:41 AM
They all have to be wonder bikes because the purchasers are wondering if they are going to ever get them.

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 07:52 AM
They all have to be wonder bikes because the purchasers are wondering if they are going to ever get them.

Why don't you shut up already, you have no idea what you are talking about. You lie in wait for a Goodrich thread and then take your pot shot, Weak!

J.Greene
04-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Every frame and every complete Goodrich I see looks so well thought out. This one is no different. Beautiful.

AngryScientist
04-16-2013, 07:56 AM
that looks really nice. i have to say - that velo orange crank was an excellent choice. while modern shimano cranks really shift superbly, i agree that they are a real eyesore on a bike with nice clean lines such as yours.

very well done.

i would love to hear your ride impressions when you have some more miles on it, especially how you are enjoying that crankset, shift quality, etc. - it interests me.

enjoy that beauty!

thwart
04-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Why don't you shut up already, you have no idea what you are talking about. You lie in wait for a Goodrich thread and then take your pot shot,Weak!
Well, there is some reason for questions about delivery from what has happened in the past.

Curt is back 'on form' now, so I'd agree that such potshots should end. I would argue that his frames may offer the best bang for the buck right now.

But, that said, the OP may just be posting to inform others of what has happened in the past, and to make informed decisions.

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Well, there is some reason for questions about delivery from what has happened in the past.

Curt is back 'on form' now, so I'd agree that such potshots should end. I would argue that his frames may offer the best bang for the buck right now.

But, that said, the OP may just be posting to inform others of what has happened in the past, and to make informed decisions.

You give him far too much credit. He does this every time and as I have said elsewhere, I am happy to personally guarantee any deposit placed with Curt.

Further, given your logic, is there ever an appropriate point to let the man move on? Or do we need to be reminding people 5-10 years out.

thwart
04-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Curt is a very lucky guy. We all wish we had friends like you, Rob.

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Sure, I consider Curt a friend, but mainly I empathize with what he went through. I have been there and to be honest, I don't know how I held on to my job, but I did and I am thankful.

saab2000
04-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Looks like it's my size.... Send for immediate testing!

Love the paint and the coupled option. Very nice bike. More pics and larger pics are always welcome.

SamIam's offer is generous and should be good enough for anyone considering placing an order. Everyone goes through a rough patch in their life. How we deal with those is part of what defines us.

Glad to hear the wheels are turning again at Goodrich Global HQ.

rugbysecondrow
04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Sure, I consider Curt a friend, but mainly I empathize with what he went through. I have been there and to be honest, I don't know how I held on to my job, but I did and I am thankful.

Thanks for saying this...makes sense.

Great looking bike, many happy miles.

jr59
04-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Why don't you shut up already, you have no idea what you are talking about. You lie in wait for a Goodrich thread and then take your pot shot, Weak!

I am happy to personally guarantee any deposit placed with Curt.

I would think that SamIam's word is good on this and that's just that!

Can't speak for Mr Goodrich, But I can and will speak for SamIam. NONE better! None more upstanding! None that I would trust more.

That's good enough for me.

firerescuefin
04-16-2013, 09:45 AM
SamIam's offer is generous and should be good enough for anyone considering placing an order. Everyone goes through a rough patch in their life. How we deal with those is part of what defines us.

Glad to hear the wheels are turning again at Goodrich Global HQ.

Couldn't word it better. I've met Rob and Sydney...they're for real in every sense.

dekindy
04-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Please, tell us the happy ending then, or at least the prospects of one, for all the purchasers that went years without communication and no prospects from receiving the bike they placed a considerable deposit for and I will be glad to shut up. I have never read one positive comment related to this despite numerous efforts on your part and offers from numerous builders to help.

I wish Curt luck and hope it all comes out positive. I would have second thoughts about praising a bike that I received from a builder when I knew there were scores of buyers that were still waiting years to receive their custom bike. Please tell us that this is no longer the case.

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Please, tell us the happy ending then, or at least the prospects of one, for all the purchasers that went years without communication and no prospects from receiving the bike they placed a considerable deposit for and I will be glad to shut up. I have never read one positive comment related to this despite numerous efforts on your part and offers from numerous builders to help.

I wish Curt luck and hope it all comes out positive. I would have second thoughts about praising a bike that I received from a builder when I knew there were scores of buyers that were still waiting years to receive their custom bike. Please tell us that this is no longer the case.

There are not scores of buyers waiting for their bikes, there are now precisely 3 that I know of from the original group of 20. You may note that when there were people waiting, including myself, you would have heard about it quickly in a thread like this.

Instead we now have only you, who knows less than anyone else, holding forth on this topic whenever you get a chance.

You don't wish Curt the best, don't kid yourself. What is the sound of one hater hating?

cfox
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
There are not scores of buyers waiting for their bikes, there are now precisely 3 that I know of from the original group of 20. You may note that when there were people waiting, including myself, you would have heard about it quickly in a thread like this.

Instead we now have only you, who knows less than anyone else, holding forth on this topic whenever you get a chance.

You don't wish Curt the best, don't kid yourself. What is the sound of one hater hating?

I don't know the history between you and dekindy in regards to Goodrich, but I will say, as an observer of this saga, I really had no idea there had been a happy ending. I know a few pics of new bikes have popped up here and there, but that would hardly be enough for me to put down a deposit. I'm glad things have cleared up.

dekindy
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Glad to hear it has been addressed because I have seen no indication of it.

Hate to state the obvious but he needs to revise his website as no entries since 2010 is not a good impression. Also it would be good to post an update on the backlog situation as anyone seeing the positive reviews that does a search will find nothing but negatives and a website that is not current. Last post I found doing a quick search today of this forum and across the hall for only very obvious references to Goodrich found a lengthy thread that indicated no communication from Curt in 2 years. Not positive reinforcements for someone considering a purchase.

Great that you support and defend your friend. Otherwise it is buyer beware without evidence otherwise.

BTW, I am the guy that volunteered to receive merchandise for Curt and deliver it at the start of Indianapolis NAHBS. Did not exactly put myself out as I had volunteered to work at the entrance booth all 3 days, but I was willing to help.

firerescuefin
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Glad to hear it has been addressed because I have seen no indication of it.

Well now that there's been an indication...and someone else (an actual known quantity) willing to take up in the best way possible (cash)....how about we table the derogatory comments. :cool:

PaMtbRider
04-16-2013, 12:06 PM
I have only seen 1 or 2 of Curt's bikes in person. From what I have seen he does nice work. As a potential customer, I think a website update is in order. At a quick look, the latest activity was about 3 years old. Also didn't find anything on pricing or wait list times. Hopefully he is busy making bikes and has a queue he is happy with.

Frankwurst
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
I was one of the original 20. I was also given the opportunity to get out of my commitment. I chose not to. I recieved my bike and I'll say without hesitation I'd order another bike from Curt in a heartbeat without Robs guarantee. Some people have the ability to get knocked down and get back up. Curt's obviously one of those people. The OP's bike is just one fine example. There are lots more.:beer:

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 12:12 PM
I have only seen 1 or 2 of Curt's bikes in person. From what I have seen he does nice work. As a potential customer, I think a website update is in order. At a quick look, the latest activity was about 3 years old. Also didn't find anything on pricing or wait list times. Hopefully he is busy making bikes and has a queue he is happy with.

I'm going to agree that it would be much better if he did maintain his website, no argument there. But for whatever reason he has, at least for now, chosen Flickr as his online outlet http://www.flickr.com/photos/35685161@N00/

DRZRM
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Let me say that I have no skin in this game. I remember following threads when it all happened, and personally I'm happy to see nice looking bikes rolling off the line. That said, this is a public forum. You get to decide when you "forgive and forget, " but as for dekindy's choice not to, it seems like that's his choice as well.

It's very nice of you to step up and put your money where your mouth is guaranteeing deposits. Positive word of mouth and timely delivery of lovely frames will certainly eventually allow this to be fully behind Mr. Goodrich, and it sounds like his business is going ahead OK. That said, I don't think your attacks help much, why don't you just put dekindy on ignore, and let it go, his opinion is his opinion, its just as valid as yours, but your attacks are the ones that come off to the general reader as too personal.

Just my .02.

54ny77
04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
a pal of mine finally got his delivered this past fall, it was ~3-4 yrs late (it's the white w/blue paneled cross bike in the flickr gallery). really bad experience for him all around, i saw firsthand the agita it caused both logistically and financially. that said, the frame itself is a stunner. not built up yet, so dunno how it rides, but hopefully it's terrific and the agita will dissipate.

would i order one? uh, no thanks.

rpm
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
My view is that we should be like the father in the story of the prodigal son and celebrate the return of one who was lost and now is found. Speaking of which, the Serotta facebook page fhas a story of Tom Officer winning at Battenkill on his Serotta, and then a video of a very nice looking (no orange decals!) Pronto prototype. A toast to new beginnings, how ever long they took to happen!: banana:

cnighbor1
04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I ride off pavement when possible.
those tire look a bit undersize for off pavement riding.
what sort of surfaces do you ride besides pavement
Thanks
Charles
PS Nice Curt

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
That said, this is a public forum. You get to decide when you "forgive and forget, " but as for dekindy's choice not to, it seems like that's his choice as well.

why don't you just put dekindy on ignore, and let it go, his opinion is his opinion, its just as valid as yours, but your attacks are the ones that come off to the general reader as too personal.

Just my .02.

My .02 cents, Dekindy has nothing to forgive, he hasn't been wronged. Secondly, I don't need to ignore him because his comments don't affect me, they affect another man's livelihood. I would tend to think you might seek out the facts, even if they are hard to find, before going there.

But I was wrong for saying shut up and questioning his good will for Curt and I apologize.

rugbysecondrow
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
My .02 cents, Dekindy has nothing to forgive, he hasn't been wronged. Secondly, I don't need to ignore him because his comments don't affect me, they affect another man's livelihood. I would tend to think you might seek out the facts, even if they are hard to find, before going there.

But I was wrong for saying shut up and I apologize.

I love stories of redemption, who doesn't? I am happy for those who are able to overcome and succeed, it is one of the greatest qualities of America...opportunities abound. That said, prudence matters.. Building a reputation one bike at a time...it is awesome to see, but it requires buyers have both eyes open. It sounds like things are going well, folks are happy, bikes showing up, the man is working and doing great work. Cheers

As an FYI, I have been burned in the past by a buildier, so I understand the agitation, anger, disappointment. I have lost more money doing dumber things, but for some reason that really torqued me. It is almost irrational how much it pissed me off and bothered me.

jblande
04-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I own one Goodrich, and wish I owned a second one with fenders. Curt also reached out to me online to make sure I was happy with the bike, because he knew I had purchased it used. It is my go-to frame. My interaction with Curt -- post crisis -- gave me the impression that he cared about what happens with his bikes and customers. The human soul is dynamic.

DRZRM
04-16-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure I understand your critique of me. I'm pretty well versed with the threads pertaining to Goorich a few years back. I read and remember what folks said. Maybe "forgive" is the wrong term, but everyone is entitled to their opinion based on those events and by my way of thinking they are also entitled to share them.

It seems to me that your attacks just draw out further discussion and comment, and by ignoring them you might invite less discussion and examination of those old threads. That's all I meant. I'm not at all sure what you mean by "going there."

I would tend to think you might seek out the facts, even if they are hard to find, before going there.

But I was wrong for saying shut up and questioning his good will for Curt and I apologize.

SamIAm
04-16-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure I understand your critique of me. I'm pretty well versed with the threads pertaining to Goorich a few years back. I read and remember what folks said. Maybe "forgive" is the wrong term, but everyone is entitled to their opinion based on those events and by my way of thinking they are also entitled to share them.

It seems to me that your attacks just draw out further discussion and comment, and by ignoring them you might invite less discussion and examination of those old threads. That's all I meant. I'm not at all sure what you mean by "going there."

Should you share opinions that are not factual to the detriment of a man's livelihood?

Should you share those opinions in a thread started by a happy customer who loved his new bike and wanted to share?

Could and should are very different.

rphetteplace
04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
I like this new Goodrich very much, and I like every other Goodrich quite a bit too. Good bikes good guy.

gomango
04-16-2013, 06:48 PM
I like this new Goodrich very much, and I like every other Goodrich quite a bit too. Good bikes good guy.

I happen to agree.

We sat and chatted at a bike show here in the Twin Cities quite a few years ago.

Had one of those "philisophical" discussions about Columbus steel types.

The show was pretty dead as we were mired in a spring snowstorm and attendance was minimal.

I have kicked myself on numerous occasions for not placing an order on the spot.

He suggested the "Sportif" model all those years ago and darned if that isn't what I would still be interested in today.

Between Curt Goodrich, Chris Kvale, Dave Anderson, Erik Noren and Alex at A Train a guy could go seriously broke buying cool bicycles in the Twin Cities.

Pete Mckeon
04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks. they are nice riding bikes and I enjoy mine since I bought it from Curt.:)

[/B]QUOTE=dekindy;1331548]They all have to be wonder bikes because the purchasers are wondering if they are going to ever get them.[/QUOTE]

retrogrouchy
04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
I happen to agree.

We sat and chatted at a bike show here in the Twin Cities quite a few years ago.

Had one of those "philisophical" discussions about Columbus steel types.

The show was pretty dead as we were mired in a spring snowstorm and attendance was minimal.

I have kicked myself on numerous occasions for not placing an order on the spot.

He suggested the "Sportif" model all those years ago and darned if that isn't what I would still be interested in today.

Between Curt Goodrich, Chris Kvale, Dave Anderson, Erik Noren and Alex at A Train a guy could go seriously broke buying cool bicycles in the Twin Cities.

I'm familiar with four of those five (and have custom frames that were built by two of them) but who is Alex at A Train? Tell us more, please....
BTW, I would consider Chris to be an uber-zen-meister* of framebuilding and painting. Talk about skill and experience! :cool:

* is that even possible? Or is it too much of a culture clash? :eek:

bluesea
04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
It would be very cool if Curt brazed my Schwinn (linked).

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/6440/img0206cu.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/2122/schwinn1.jpg

thirdgenbird
04-29-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm familiar with four of those five (and have custom frames that were built by two of them) but who is Alex at A Train? Tell us more, please....
BTW, I would consider Chris to be an uber-zen-meister* of framebuilding and painting. Talk about skill and experience! :cool:

I've only seen a few examples of Alex's work, but they sure didn't disappoint.

I'm not sure he does the paintwork, but whoever does gets two solid thumbs up from me.

gomango
04-30-2013, 05:16 AM

Alex is a real Minneapolis up and comer.

http://atraincycles.com/blog/

This is a bike he brought to NAHBS this year. Absolutely an eyeful in person.

He is a bit of a magician with stainless. imho

http://atraincycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/A-train-Stainless-29er-1024x768.jpg

He did several upgrades last winter on a nos Walter Croll frameset (Erik Noren built) for me and did very nice work at a reasonable rate.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8510/8601123070_f094a3952b_b.jpg

I'm a bit of a Twin Cities builder fan as I currently have three Chris Kvales (one frameset for sale) and I am very interested in having Dave Anderson build a bicycle for me as well.

Ray
04-30-2013, 05:51 AM
I was kind of a Goodrich fan from back when he was building Rivendells at match Bicycles for Tim Isaac (who, BTW, is out of bikes but making really cool little camera accessories under the name match Technical these days - so I've run into him in two lives now). And then building directly for Grant and then starting to do his own frames. Met him and rode with him a bit at one of Douglas's Finger Lakes Rambles. Great guy - enjoyed his company.

And then I read about all of the problems he was having - actually just the problems his customers were having and Rob's noble attempts to keep the whole thing together and help out both builder and customer. And it bummed me out for Curt and for the various folks caught up in the delays.

I never knew what happened, never knew whether Curt was having personal problems or just wasn't a very good businessman. And, until now, didn't know they were largely resolved. But whatever happened, I'm glad Curt seems to be back on his feet and cranking out frames again. He did wonderful work and was a really fine guy. So I hated seeing the stuff written about him, but it sounds like it was justified at the time. In any case, glad to hear things are moving forward for both Curt and his customers again.

I'm not buying bike related stuff other than the occasional tires, tubes, chains, and cables anymore (who can afford bike gear with all of the cameras out there?), but if I was in the market for a custom frame, Curt would be one of the folks on my very short list to build it.

-Ray

fuzzalow
04-30-2013, 07:22 AM
I have never ordered or owned a CPG bike and am aware of him only from his Rivendell days forwards. So I have no skin in the game.

I like his work, it looks progressive and crafted with enough variation in style and construction to indicate that he is skilled and versed in many genres of steel bikes. His version of a double OS tig'd road bike a la Peg Marcelo makes my head swim and it sounds like CPG is back on track so I would put money down.

Risk? Maybe but seems less now than 3 years ago. IMO there cannot be anyone left with an unfilled order that has not be fully satisfied by however way CPG and his client have chosen to extinguish that long standing open order. And some of those clients do not hang out in bike forums, CPG should tell us himself that all has been righted for every queued client via an update to his web channels & outlets. Only then can the book on the past be closed.

Either way, this is less an issue for his customers to sort out as self-proclaimed advocates. It is on CPG to sort out in demonstrating a reliable track record for delivery and timeliness which will movie his business forwards again from the cluster FUBAR of what recently was. The skepticism voiced by some posters here is equally valid to the somewhat insistent, vociferous support CPG receives here. Everybody has a favorite. It is CPG's business, not yours, let him be accountable. CPG's business will not be hurt by the same repetitive naysayers any more than it will be helped by the same repetitive advocates. Guys with money in search of a builder are smarter than that and will do their own homework and make up their own minds using their own criteria.

FlashUNC
04-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Having no dog in this hunt, two thoughts:

1) Curt must build amazing bikes, given the loyalty he's engendered from some customers. I wasn't around during "The Troubles" -- whatever they may be -- but he seems to be getting his business back together.

2) If any buyer of a custom steel bike has a shred of doubt about a builder, they should probably punt and move on. It isn't as if there aren't a cornucopia of seriously freakin' skilled builders across the country who will deliver a bike in a timely manner at a fair price without the headaches and heartaches some have described.

Glad Curt seems to be back on the horse, but I can understand folks skepticism or desire to steer clear at this point.

pakora
04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
The OP's pics show pretty much the kind of bike I want and why I put down a deposit with a local builder.

Well, I went custom because they don't make bikes big enough for me, but it's why I thought about it more than "a road bike that fits."

Gorgeous.

Len J
04-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Say what you will...but it's hard to look at that bike (or any of Curt's bikes) and not recognize the craftsmanship.

Well done by both you in your thoughtfulness in defining what you wanted, and Steve and Curt on the execution.

Len

pakora
04-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Oh and Erik, if you have more detail pics of the front end I'd like to see 'em for one.

What brakes are on this build?