PDA

View Full Version : shop owner want guys to see me on one of his his bike

Fixed
11-24-2005, 04:07 PM
bro a shop owner told me wed. that he would like me to ride one of his bikes me being one of the (fast guys) and I 'm riddin my parts bin/ebay bike which I like fine. here is what he offerd a eddy merckx leader with a 10 speed (centaur sp ) groupo at cost he's goin to let me ride it to try out first I know you guys are a lot smarter and wiser than i am so what do you guys think? it's all good bro cheers :beer:

dsimon
11-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Go With What Feels Good :d

JeffreyG
11-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Looks Stiff and fast. Have you ever had an Al bike before? From you post it sounds like all you stuff is steel.

Fixed
11-24-2005, 04:49 PM
bro I've had fuji cannondale and javelin cheers :beer:

vaxn8r
11-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, if he let's you try it out first you have nothing to lose. Merckx bikes ride great. I had a steel one for a long time until selling it this year. Hard to say what to do without knowing the price and wheelset but it sounds like it ought to be a great deal. He must like and respect you.

shaq-d
11-24-2005, 04:57 PM
make sure it really is at cost/there is a significant discount... if it was me i'd take it quickly :p

sd

Dr. Doofus
11-24-2005, 06:36 PM
1) do you have a good relationship with the guy, i.e., do you trust him, is he cool with you, are you cool with him, etc.?

2) is the 1800.00 for this rig going to set you back, or is it cool with the wife?

3) do you have the jones for a new bike?

4) is your relationship with the cat something that you're ready to go "farther and deeper" with on this bike thing? you owe hi squat if he just cuts you breaks on tubes. he cuts you a bike at cost, you owe him more than just respect. when a shop owner gives to you, give back -- don't be a takin prick. too many of those on bikes anyway.

you will know what you want to do

Fixed
11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
bro it comes with a campy sciroccos wheelset cheers :beer:

weisan
11-24-2005, 09:27 PM
fixed-pal, what are the expectations on both sides?

chrisroph
11-24-2005, 09:37 PM
the leaders are great racing iron, stiff, light, beautiful sharp handling bikes. If you need new racing bike and can afford it, why not?

Serpico
11-25-2005, 02:27 AM
hope you can work something out with him fixed

good luck :)

The Spider
11-25-2005, 02:28 AM
Just by having Fixed on a bike with the shop stickers could cause an increase in business, it's like that with strong riders. Maybe no more has to be done. Good looking, fast rider with major mojo...put him on a bike at cost..free advertising and no cost! Make sure the rider has bidons and jerseys given to them and done!

Perhaps the owner feels pain when he looks at fixed current bike (no insult intended - I don't even know fixed's bike) and thinks the man would look wicked on a Merckx.

Spider

bostondrunk
11-25-2005, 05:02 AM
bro it comes with a campy sciroccos wheelset cheers :beer:

I'd change those. Junk.

djg
11-25-2005, 07:24 AM
The markup doesn't really matter so much, or it wouldn't to me.

Three questions: (1) is it--that particular bike--something you really want, (2) is the price cool for you, and (3) is there nothing else you'd rather have, new or used, at that price.

I guess maybe there's a fourth question of whatever else might be, or seem to be, part of the deal, but whatever. If you like the bike, and can swing the bucks, and wouldn't rather swing them somewhere else, then go for it.

There's nothing especially wrong with the Sciroccos wheels, IMO. They are not light and you might rather race all sorts of things, including things that don't cost much at all, but I got some for a song a few years back and commuted on them for a year or so before selling them as part of a bike deal--seems to me that they're a strong, stable, dependable wheel, and they roll just fine, and at the right price and for the right purpose you might like them.

Ken Robb
11-25-2005, 11:40 AM
bro a shop owner told me wed. that he would like me to ride one of his bikes me being one of the (fast guys) and I 'm riddin my parts bin/ebay bike which I like fine. here is what he offerd a eddy merckx leader with a 10 speed (centaur sp ) groupo at cost he's goin to let me ride it to try out first I know you guys are a lot smarter and wiser than i am so what do you guys think? it's all good bro cheers :beer:
the answer is ride it and see if you like it--of course you could have my CSI for the same $$$.

Cadence230
11-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Same situation here. Do it. Why not? Are there mandatory appearances you have to make at rides? I don't. Nothing is expected. Just spread the love bro. compei

Ken Robb
11-25-2005, 01:46 PM
0oops.

Fixed
11-25-2005, 04:18 PM
bro I'm flattered at the offer and my wife is cool with the deal she has heard me talk about leaders for years but you dudes know which leader that is.my bike is cool with me, some of the dudes around here think my bike is a piece of junk but that don't bother me none.the bike shop dude knows me and guys ask him how can fixed be so fast on a heavy lugged steel bike with a bunch of old 8 speed and op wheels? all the cat wants from me is to ride a modern style bike and the cost. i.m.h.o..I don't know if it's worth the expense to be modern. cheers :beer:

Sandy
11-25-2005, 04:50 PM
It certainly is not worth the expense to be modern. Being modern shouldn't be the issue. The real question is whether you would enjoy riding the new bike enough to justify to yourself the expense. Enyoyment as you define it. Perhaps you will be faster, or more comfortable, or enjoy the shifting, or braking, or whatever might be important to you.

I bet you like dropping those guys and gals on their modern bikes, don't you?

Get the bike if you can enjoy enough and if you can afford it. Modern is meaningless.

Sandy

Fixed
11-25-2005, 04:56 PM
It certainly is not worth the expense to be modern. Being modern shouldn't be the issue. The real question is whether you would enjoy riding the new bike enough to justify to yourself the expense. Enyoyment as you define it. Perhaps you will be faster, or more comfortable, or enjoy the shifting, or braking, or whatever might be important to you?

I bet you like dropping those guys and gals on their modern bikes, don't you.

Get the bike if you can enjoy enough and if you can afford it. Modern is meaningless.

Sandy you guys are smart I can be a jerk sometimes on a bike but I always try to look after my bros cheers :beer:

weisan
11-25-2005, 06:27 PM
fixed-pal, don't mind saying this, but I think if I were you, I would save the money for a custom frame later as my body ages and can't take the punishment anymore and start to complain even on small little things. Those are just my two cents. ;)

Big Dan
11-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Fixed bro, imho don't blow your budget unless it really moves you...... :D

Fixed
11-25-2005, 06:59 PM
bro b.d. and my best pal you guys are the best thanks to all you guys for thinking of me .I will take your advise to heart cheers :beer:

Fixed
11-29-2005, 10:25 AM
bro shop guy wants me try out the bike on wed a.m. group ride if I like it the cost is $2200.00 I think I will be riding my old bike for a while yet cheers :beer:

bostondrunk
11-29-2005, 10:29 AM
bro shop guy wants me try out the bike on wed a.m. group ride if I like it the cost is $2200.00 I think I will be riding my old bike for a while yet cheers :beer:

There are a lot of nice rigs you can get for 2200 with nicer equipment than centaur. I'd skip this 'deal'. The wheelset he offered you is kinda junk too.
If you want an aluminum bike, buy a 'Dale Caad8, easy to find for about $600 new, and throw DA or Chorus on it.

Fixed
11-29-2005, 05:56 PM
yeah bro i was thinking about $1800. cheers :beer:

Too Tall
11-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Call me crazy Fixed but I think you like riding banged up bikes. The guy who schooled me in all things cycling is my good friend Jimmy. Ol Jimmy boy rides anything and I mean anything he can get his hands on that is either free or next to it AND he used to duke it out with the best riders in the area. He rides fixed gear all winter long and you'd never know it but all his fixed bikes are from the road side...throw aways. Guess what? Everyone gives him HUGE respect and Jimmy was a former bike shop top dog mechanic to boot....his choice...his unique style.

I'm just sayin'

Would it make your shop grin if they "branded" you with shop kit and gucci wheelsets etc to "test" and let the others drool over and ask questions?

Are you feeling it yet? or am I waaay off base?

Fixed
11-29-2005, 06:44 PM
bro t.t. I do like the my old bikes I don't have a shop but I know most of the shop guys in my area the best wrench in the area is my bud if i need help with something i go to his house and piece my stuff back together. this year i want to see how well i can do in the local crit races and in that type of racing the newer style bikes might have an advantage . what do you think?........... this is like when i win on my old bike you guys ain't nothing look what i'm ride'n or if i get beat it's like you guys ain't nothing look what i'm ride'n cheers :beer: oh yeah should i even try the merckx in the group ride weds. a.m.?

Too Tall
11-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Actually I don't think newer bikes have any advantage in crits. You are the master of good fitting bikes that work well and you are at one with...that is the advantage! You've proved that over the yrs. maling a living ON A BIKE! Next to that great tires and ba!!s of steel are in order for success in crits.

He!! yes ride the Merckx for training, great use for a sweet bike. Infact I tend to ride my "nice" stuff training and old steel for racing...with a great wheelset of course ;)

Something I heard once about Serottas sticks in my head and is appropriate to say. "Serottas are what pros like to train on". Think about it. Stable, well designed and pretty...all adds up to a good feeling when doing some hard work day in day out, can you dig it?

OldDog
11-30-2005, 09:06 AM
of course you could have my CSI for the same $$$.

IMHO bro, you be styling with this deal...

bostondrunk
11-30-2005, 09:11 AM
IMHO bro, you be styling with this deal...

He already has an old steel bike. Why would he buy another old steel bike?? :confused:

manet
11-30-2005, 09:31 AM
He already has an old steel bike. Why would he buy another old steel bike?? :confused:

http://www.bikeforest.com/ChrisbikeSideViewlong.jpg

Fixed
11-30-2005, 11:22 AM
bro I rode it today it rode pretty frickin nice of course all new stuff he came down to $2100 I told him i thought it would be about 1800 then he shows me a dura/ace 10 felt that he 'd let me have for 1600 or maybe less any body ever heard of a felt? kind of a weird loking bike all black with funny shaped tubes i thought they were all tri bikes but this was a road bike oh well back to my old steel bike .cheers :beer:

Serpico
11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
bro I rode it today it rode pretty frickin nice of course all new stuff he came down to $2100 I told him i thought it would be about 1800 then he shows me a dura/ace 10 felt that he 'd let me have for 1600 or maybe less any body ever heard of a felt? kind of a weird loking bike all black with funny shaped tubes i thought they were all tri bikes but this was a road bike oh well back to my old steel bike .cheers :beer:

I think you can do better for that price, just imo.

good luck

Ken Robb
11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
owner of my LBS thinks Felt offers some of the best values on the market. Designed (I think) by Jim Felt and built in Taiwan with good gruppos relative to other brands at each price point. I've never ridden one--they are not my style. I tink the Felt model numbers are in inverse order of their prices: a model 60 is cheaper than a 50 and by the time you get to a 25 you're looking at a pricey "pro level" bike.

Big Dan
11-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Fixed brother..come on..!!!!
i.m.h.o you should buy the bike you want ....
not the bike they want to sell you.....

:p

OldDog
11-30-2005, 11:51 AM

'cause it's only a 5 year old bike with less than 500 miles on it, Chorus equipped. imo a much nicer rig than the aluminum (read none repairable/crits)leader for the same $. but only a nice deal if the sizing works.

Redturbo
11-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Colavita races on Felts. They have some fast guys too. :banana: Oh almost forgot, imho cheers :beer:

turbo

shinomaster
11-30-2005, 11:51 PM
I hate tell you this but every shop owner wants to see you on one of their bikes..My shop owner friends back in Boston couldn't understand why I bought a Serotta at International and not an early Giant TCR from them back in 1999.

vaxn8r
12-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Here's the deal, they didn't make you an offer you couldn't refuse. When I got my first Serotta I simply wanted to take it for a ride. The shop owner says what do you want to pay for it? I said I didn't want to buy it, just try it. He comes back and makes a ridiculous low ball price. After a ride home to get my wallet I had a new bike. Never mind the consternation of my wife :confused: :confused: :confused: . To me $2100 is not one of those deals. I wouldn't.

If you seriously are looking for a new ride I'd spend the next few months scouring the classifieds. There are some real deals out there. I've sold some and I bought one. The thing is, know what you really want so when it does come up you're ready for it.

Fixed
12-01-2005, 03:14 AM
bro I am trying out an orbea this weekend from another shop it's pretty nice of a shop to let you try a bike all weekend i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

shaq-d
12-01-2005, 08:39 AM
hey fixedy, out of curiousity why the shopping for a new bike..? if your current is the guerciotti it looks great. a real beaut... you havin' the xmas vibe?

sd

Fixed
12-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Bro i just sold the guerc. to one of the forum bros it was little on the big side I still have my other steel lugged bike. I'm just trying some new stuff out everything I get finds it's way to my son sooner or latter and he races too.cheers :beer:

Fixed
12-04-2005, 04:03 PM
bro had the orbea this weekend rode it sat. hated it took it back they took off the reynolds comp wheels and put on some shimano 600 's I pushed the saddle back and what a difference much better ride.the orbea has a pretty neat paint and is 400 dollars less than the merckx .cheers :beer:

Climb01742
12-04-2005, 05:33 PM
which orbea?

Fixed
12-04-2005, 07:17 PM
bro oh yes this is between the merckx leader and the orbea dauphine that came out in 2005.5 both decent alum race bikes i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Fixed
12-05-2005, 07:39 AM
bike goes back today, my little test is over, back to my lugged steel bike with not one piece of carbon on it cheers :beer: