PDA

View Full Version : Spring Kit: Assos Intermediate Evo or Rapha LS jersey?

tv_vt
04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Any opinions on these two for 50-65* F jersey?

christian
04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
I run warm but Intermediate Evo is one of my favorite pieces of kit. But to me, it's more of a 38-55d jersey. That said, it's amazing. The only piece of kit I own multiples of.

For 45-60, I also like the Castelli Fedele a lot.

The Rapha plastic-in-sheep's-clothing stuff doesn't do anything for me. I've had it and sold it. For wool in the stated temp range, I go with Wabi Woolens sport series.

tv_vt
04-15-2013, 03:21 PM
The sleeves of the Evo are that warm to use below 40? They seem a little thin. Do you use a LS base layer at those temps? I might have to size up to be able to fit a second LS layer under the Evo, too, since the sleeves seemed a little tight.

Recommendations for good vendors?

Thanks, Christian.

T

nighthawk
04-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Assos Factory Outlet has them ~$160 plus shipping, lots of colors and sizes
theClymb.com has them ~$125, but limited sizes and colors

christian
04-15-2013, 03:45 PM
The sleeves of the Evo are that warm to use below 40? They seem a little thin. Do you use a LS base layer at those temps? I might have to size up to be able to fit a second LS layer under the Evo, too, since the sleeves seemed a little tight.They're a bit thin, but the windstopper on the torso and shoulders gives me a lot of added warmth. I wear it with either a winter-weight Campagnolo long-sleeve baselayer (38-44)or a summer-weight long-sleeve baselayer (44-50) or a lightweight baselayer (50-55). I rarely use the last combination. But I think the big benefit of the Evo is the following - because it is thin, but has windstopper, its insulative properties vary widely with zipper usage. In short, if you can only have one piece of equipment between 40-60, it'd be the one to have. All buttoned up, you'd be cold but not freezing at 40, and all zipped open, you'd be warm but not miserable at 60. It's a wide-ranging garment.

If you can use a size "L" in blue, I can cut you a good deal on one -- I bought an extra at the Clymb sale for ~ $129, but I have two already. Don't really need this one. It's new in bag.

Recommendations for good vendors?Ribble was having a sale with an extra 15% off the other day - I picked up some T.607 bib shorts for $178, which is about as low as those ever go. If you want full selection, Ribble and ProBikeKit seem to have good prices. Assos Outlet is the way I would go on this piece since it's discontinued. They have white ones at $156. I'd probably get that, since you might be able to press it into service even a few degrees warmer days.

Unless you like blue and wear L. In which case, send me a PM.

christian
04-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Assos Factory Outlet has them ~$160 plus shipping, lots of colors and sizes
theClymb.com has them ~$125, but limited sizes and colors

Clymb event ended today at noon, alas.

Lionel
04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Assos no question. It's an awesome piece of kit, super versatile and more convenient than a long sleeve jersey+vest as you have access to back pockets. I also use it with a long or short sleeve base layer.

Great for racing in cool conditions too.

nighthawk
04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Clymb event ended today at noon, alas.

They still got 'em on the 365 portion of the site. All deals all the time... not just the time-limited sales:

http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event/200585/show-product/300640?f=mi

Grant McLean
04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
I have the Assos intermediate jersey, but not the newest version.
Not a particularly favorite piece, it's a bit of an odd duck unless
you run warm, and don't mind the thin material on the arms.
38 degrees in one, I'd freeze.

I really wear my Tiburu jerseys more often. If i need more than
what arm warmers provides, the Tiburu is great. But with Assos
there is always multiple ways to dress for the same temperature.
Lots of options with base layers, tops, vests.

-g

FlashUNC
04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
I'll just be the oddball and recommend the Rapha. The Assos' stuff is clearly excellent.

I like the Rapha LS jersey because it seems to work at a slightly warmer temperature range. I wore my Belgium LS jersey from them to a ride this weekend that started in the high 40s, and ended nearing 70 or so.

The sleeves are cut in such a way that full finger gloves fit nicely under the cuffs, and the waist has a nice adjustable bit that can regulate the airflow around your beer gut.

The pockets are nice and roomy, and the collar is nice and high to block out wind at the neck. I think with a long sleeve baselayer it could probably stretch to the lower 40s.

Great piece overall imo. But you really can't go wrong either way.

christian
04-15-2013, 07:48 PM
The only piece of kit I own multiples of.This is, of cours, patently false. I own two Castelli SanRemo Speedsuits. The SanRemo is freakin' fantastic. I just learned that my team is switching vendors to Castelli this year, so I might even get team speedsuits!

I have the Assos intermediate jersey, but not the newest version.
Not a particularly favorite piece, it's a bit of an odd duck unless
you run warm, and don't mind the thin material on the arms.
38 degrees in one, I'd freeze.

I really wear my Tiburu jerseys more often. Grant is probably more representative of what temperatures most users will like the Assos kit. I personally find that there are two ways to dress for most 20d<45d weather -- one using thinner layers and a windproof/low transpiration layer and one using more insulative, higher transpiration materials. Both can work well; I typically use the former when going hard/short/variable effort, and the latter for longer steady-state efforts. In my case, because I run hot, a windproof layer means all other layers have to be light. This can obviously be dangerous if you get caught out, but I like it for harder efforts. On my commute, I would sometimes do a wool Wabi jersey and a wool baselayer; totally opposite effect - the wind gently tickles you, but you stay warm and dry and toasty. The Assos Element One is a good outerlayer for this approach, but nothing beats a Rivendell Aussie baselayer and a Wabi winter jersey when it dips into the 20s.

In any case, I think both techniques require experimentation.

Grant - is the Tiburu the Element One replacement, or is that the Habu?

tv_vt
04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Christian, thanks for the offer of the Large jersey, but unfortunately I need an XL or XLG.

weiwentg
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
FWIW, if you are small, XXL or XXXL, Clymb is down to $85 and there is a 20% off coupon (sent in email, but it is EXTRA20OFF). coupon ends today. at that price...

tv_vt
05-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah, large folks check those out! I bought a XXL red and blue one when they were $125 - and thought that price was a deal.

These have become my favorite jerseys!

Johnnyg
05-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Any opinions on these two for 50-65* F jersey?

Rapha's quality and customer service is second to none. get one of each.