PDA

View Full Version : Explosion(s) at Boston Marathon...

veggieburger
04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Details just coming in now. Hope everyone is Ok.

shovelhd
04-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Messed up. WBZ has live video.

veggieburger
04-15-2013, 02:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH6fCgFCQAERWMB.jpg:large

shinomaster
04-15-2013, 02:40 PM
That's just horrible.

jr59
04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to whoever may have been hurt or worse!

rugbysecondrow
04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
My too, hope you all up there are safe.

Prayers for those injured.

Damn shame.

Lewis Moon
04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/boston-marathon-explosion_n_3086665.html

texbike
04-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Holy crap! I had two coworkers running today. One is accounted for and the other was near the finish and we're not sure where he's at right now. Fingers crossed... :(

Texbike

CunegoFan
04-15-2013, 02:58 PM
There are reports that additonal bombs have been found.

MattTuck
04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Holy crap! I had two coworkers running today. One is accounted for and the other was near the finish and we're not sure where he's at right now. Fingers crossed... :(

Texbike

Judging by what I'm seeing, the blast happened on the sidewalk, on the other side of the barriers. I think runners were less affected than the spectators.

firerescuefin
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
https://vine.co/v/bFdt5uwg6JZ

Nags&Ducs
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
I can only think of unmitigated all out violent retribution to those that perpetrated this horrible heinous act. I truly want to go medieval on their ****ing asses.

rugbysecondrow
04-15-2013, 03:05 PM
https://vine.co/v/bFdt5uwg6JZ

This just makes me mad. Cowards.

CunegoFan
04-15-2013, 03:09 PM
I can only think of unmitigated all out violent retribution to those that perpetrated this horrible heinous act. I truly want to go medieval on their ****ing asses.

Probably pure coincidence but it is an important day in North Korea...

texbike
04-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Probably pure coincidence but it is an important day in North Korea...

I don't think that's it. This is too small. It reeks of a domestic terrorist.

Texbike

AngryScientist
04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
terribly cowardly act, attacking innocent athletes and spectators who have no idea why.

unlikely, but hopefully some justice will be served.

SamIAm
04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
terribly cowardly act, attacking innocent athletes and spectators who have no idea why.

Don't they usually catch "bombers"?

MattTuck
04-15-2013, 03:25 PM

They'll find 'em and bring 'em to justice. They're finding undetonated devices, so they're collecting a lot of physical evidence.

My bigger concern is if North Korea now test fires a missile and causes some global crisis.

Nags&Ducs
04-15-2013, 03:25 PM

Texbike

Exactly. Tim mcveigh, or homegrown Islamextremist. Find em and burn em...slowly.

texbike
04-15-2013, 03:26 PM

They'll find them. There are so many surveillance cameras deployed in public places these days that it isn't likely that the perpetrators weren't caught on tape.

Texbike

CunegoFan
04-15-2013, 03:27 PM
They'll find 'em and bring 'em to justice. They're finding undetonated devices, so they're collecting a lot of physical evidence.

My bigger concern is if North Korea now test fires a missile and causes some global crisis.

Some of these undetonated devices might not be devices at all. Lots of people have probably dropped stuff like backpacks.

joep2517
04-15-2013, 03:28 PM

Texbike

Thought crossed my mind. And with it being Patriots Day - just adds more to that thought.

CunegoFan
04-15-2013, 03:28 PM
They'll find them. There are so many surveillance cameras deployed in public places these days that it isn't likely that the perpetrators weren't caught on tape.

Texbike

Stuff like this scares me more than a very infrequent bombing:

"Big city authorities are typically on the highest levels of alert for events like a marathon, said Anthony Roman, a security expert.

“It is quite the counterterrorism effort,” said Mr. Roman, who runs Roman & Associates, a New York firm.

For major events in New York and other large cities, Mr. Roman said the police would typically weld manhole covers shut, while also examining the entire route just before the race. They will also place snipers on rooftops, with helicopters overhead. Analytic cameras in the city will be focusing on the race, he said.

“They have all the analytic cameras in the city focusing on the race with their advanced software network, reading license plates,” Roman said.

eBAUMANN
04-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Some of these undetonated devices might not be devices at all. Lots of people have probably dropped stuff like backpacks.

it was just confirmed that at least 2 of these other "devices" were in fact other bombs.

texbike
04-15-2013, 03:33 PM

"Big city authorities are typically on the highest levels of alert for events like a marathon, said Anthony Roman, a security expert.

“It is quite the counterterrorism effort,” said Mr. Roman, who runs Roman & Associates, a New York firm.

For major events in New York and other large cities, Mr. Roman said the police would typically weld manhole covers shut, while also examining the entire route just before the race. They will also place snipers on rooftops, with helicopters overhead. Analytic cameras in the city will be focusing on the race, he said.

“They have all the analytic cameras in the city focusing on the race with their advanced software network, reading license plates,” Roman said.

I was in a city command center a couple of weeks ago and it's incredible the amount of control that a room of individuals can instantaneously have over the infrastructure and first response resources of a good sized city to deal with scenarios like this.

Texbike

bikerboy337
04-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Tough to imagine why this happens. Luckily all my friends have been accounted for... Few friends were within 100' of the blast...

Praying for those that aren't so lucky.

joep2517
04-15-2013, 03:42 PM
it was just confirmed that at least 2 of these other "devices" were in fact other bombs.

Thank God they didn't go off and hurt others. And someone can look at the devices and hopefully determine where they came from.

MattTuck
04-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Not that the New York Post (as a single source) should be taken as gospel, but they're reporting that they've identified and are guarding a suspect at the hospital, with shrapnel wounds.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQf VsH1yI?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

MattTuck
04-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Take back what I said previously. Police chief briefing indicates no other devices found, but a 3rd explosion occurred at JFK presidential library.

SamIAm
04-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Not that the New York Post (as a single source) should be taken as gospel, but they're reporting that they've identified and are guarding a suspect at the hospital, with shrapnel wounds.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQf VsH1yI?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

They are showing quite a few more fatalities than I see reported elsewhere.

MattTuck
04-15-2013, 04:01 PM
They are showing quite a few more fatalities than I see reported elsewhere.

Yes. Just passing the story along. Not saying it is right. News is the first draft of history, and it's usually a pretty rough first draft.

slidey
04-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Quite a cowardly act, as all such acts are. Hope the damage to human life is to a minimum.

torquer
04-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Stuff like this scares me more than a very infrequent bombing...
No reason not to be concerned about both.
Tough at moments like this (the TV news footage of the explosion next to the finish line shows a baby in a carriage being pushed by competitors seconds later) but we need to take a deep breath before we go all Tarantino on somebody who turns out to be a Richard Jewell.

CunegoFan
04-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Take back what I said previously. Police chief briefing indicates no other devices found, but a 3rd explosion occurred at JFK presidential library.

That is a big clue right there. Foreigners would not bother to bomb the JFK library. It will be right wing nutters.

54ny77
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
sickening. heartfelt condolences to those killed & injured.

saw a bunch of happy & cheerful folks caravaning up i-95 while going through ct this past weekend, windows painted ("headed to boston!" "marathon or bust!" and that sort of thing).

firerescuefin
04-15-2013, 04:13 PM

Can you expound on this. Not sure I am understanding what you're saying.

gdw
04-15-2013, 04:15 PM
"That is a big clue right there. Foreigners would not bother to bomb the JFK library. It will be right wing nutters."

At this point in the investigation there has not been enough information released to make assumptions such as yours.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2013, 04:15 PM
That is a big clue right there. Foreigners would not bother to bomb the JFK library. It will be right wing nutters.

Suspect arrested, in a hospital, Saudi national, 20 yrs old.

Deleted...

jet sanchez
04-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Google has set up a person finder if anyone is having a hard time locating someone who may have been at the race

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/

BCS
04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
SAUDI national in custody. shocking

vqdriver
04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
The last mile at the #bostonmarathon was donated to the families who were involved in the Newtown shootings.Then this happens. #pray4boston

Goodness. Thoughts go out to all the victims but I really really hope no one from newtown is one of them

MattTuck
04-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Deleted in turn.

CunegoFan
04-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Can you expound on this. Not sure I am understanding what you're saying.

I am talking about cameras all over the place, probably including drones flying overhead, scanning license plates and the data being fed into databases. It should not be that difficult to pour the data into a giant repository where authorities could trace the movement of cars throughout most of the country. Give it a while and authorities could get an auto movement trace going back years. The storage requirements would not even be that large. Add in facial recognition takn at certain point and people could then be tied to their car movements.

Then there are snipers on the roof for a freaking marathon...

I Want Sachs?
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
but all terrorists seem to be muslim.

I guess Sandy Hook was joy, not terror?

dd74
04-15-2013, 04:31 PM
I am talking about cameras all over the place, probably including drones flying overhead, scanning license plates and the data being fed into databases. It should not be that difficult to pour the data into a giant repository where authorities could trace the movement of cars throughout most of the country. Give it a while and authorities could get an auto movement trace going back years. The storage requirements would not even be that large. Add in facial recognition takn at certain point and people could then be tied to their car movements.

Then there are snipers on the roof for a freaking marathon...
Drones, movement scans, profiling, all this will happen w/ or w/o legal implication. It will just happen, and probably without us even knowing.

I've been inside an emergency response center. Just by cameras alone, it's amazing how much of a large city they can see at any given second.

texbike
04-15-2013, 04:31 PM

Texbike

Fortunately both of my co-workers are now accounted for!

Texbike

jet sanchez
04-15-2013, 04:32 PM
The only outlets reporting a suspect being caught are Fox and NY Post so, yeah, I would take it with a grain of salt.

oldpotatoe
I guess Sandy Hook was joy, not terror?

I've been told to delete what I wrote, so I did but the guy that killed the children was a mentally ill criminal. Bomb throwers, who often view themselves as enemy combatants participating in a war..are somewhat 'different'.

I'm out, I'll only get in more trouble

jr59
guys please....

Lets just wait until the facts are in, and pray for those injured and their families!

PLEASE.......

Keith A
04-15-2013, 04:34 PM
guys please....

Lets just wait until the facts are in, and pray for those injured and their families!

PLEASE.......Indeed or this will get closed.

CunegoFan
04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Suspect arrested, in a hospital, Saudi national, 20 yrs old.

I know he is only a suspect but...

This will get yanked but not all muslims are terrorists(and cowards) but all terrorists seem to be muslim.

Really? Terrorism has been a recognized military tactic for over a hundred years. It has been used all over the world by all sorts of ethnicities and creeds. It is simply a tactic used by the weak who don't have the means to fight an enemy on equal terms. The damage done is a very small fraction of what has been done by large powers with conventional militaries.

MilanoTom
04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Indeed or this will get closed.

Might as well close it. I'm rapidly losing respect for forumites who feel compelled to a) post whatever unconfirmed crap they see on other websites, b) turn it into rants about Muslims,c) post conspiracy theory rants, or d) all of the above.

Regards,
Tom

texbike
04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Really? Terrorism has been a recognized military tactic for over a hundred years. It has been used all over the world by all sorts of ethnicities and creeds. It is simply a tactic used by the weak who don't have the means to fight an enemy on equal terms. The damage done is a very small fraction of what has been done by large powers with conventional militaries.

One could argue that our founding fathers were terrorists due to the engagement methods that they utilized against the British...

Texbike

Keith A
04-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Might as well close it...Done. Feel free to open another discussion about this terrible event, but this one is done.