PDA

View Full Version : Paul Kimmage

AgilisMerlin
04-15-2013, 05:52 AM
http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/kimmage-angered-by-cycling-irelands-support-for-mcquaid

piece/final statement/pleasantly surprised ;)

cachagua
04-15-2013, 11:01 AM
So, he hates McQuaid so much that he'd like Armstrong's help in bringing him down.

Nice to see someone take a principled stance!

firerescuefin
04-15-2013, 11:04 AM
So, he hates McQuaid so much that he'd like Armstrong's help in bringing him down.

Nice to see someone take a principled stance!

...and this doesn't make sense...why? Was it not McQuaid that enabled that whole farce to gain momentum and become the firestorm it was. If a principled person was at the front of the UCI, the past may have looked very different. McQuaid is a bigger fish than Armstrong.

cachagua
04-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Kimmage's comments there don't seem to have the tone of wanting to clean up cycling as much as a personal vendetta against McQuaid. I don't like McQuaid any better than he does, but take a look: nowhere in that rant does he mention any specific steps he'd like taken to control doping, all he wants is McQuaid on a spit with an apple in his mouth.

Like that would fix things?

He says anti-doping efforts are "a disaster, with everyone going off half-cocked in a million different directions". If the shoe fits. . .

And yet -- this is his job, his career. I wouldn't want to deny him a living. Let him rant.

firerescuefin
04-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Kimmage's comments there don't seem to have the tone of wanting to clean up cycling as much as a personal vendetta against McQuaid. I don't like McQuaid any better than he does, but take a look: nowhere in that rant does he mention any specific steps he'd like taken to control doping, all he wants is McQuaid on a spit with an apple in his mouth.

Like that would fix things?

He says anti-doping efforts are "a disaster, with everyone going off half-cocked in a million different directions". If the shoe fits. . .

And yet -- this is his job, his career. I wouldn't want to deny him a living. Let him rant.

I am curious as what you wanted him to say as the statement below is his reply about McQuaid...not, how you would fix doping. His statement is spot on IMO.

Kimmage believes that the decision to support McQuaid has taken away an opportunity for the sport to improve its image and tackle the issue of doping in a more robust manner.

"I felt there was a real wind for chance, like with Festina in 1998. I really felt that this was a chance for the sport to move on and to clean out all this. This wasn't going to happen unless we removed Verbruggen and McQuaid," Kimmage added.

"I really felt that after Armstrong, back with USADA that this was another opportunity. If McQuaid had an ounce of ****ing dignity he would have walked. he would have said, 'look maybe I wasn't responsible for all this, but I have to hold my hands up and say this was appalling, and I'm walking.' He didn't do that and all he's done since is cover his ass."

cachagua
04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
I would have liked him to say what he thinks should be done.

That's what matters -- not who does it. Would he be happy if McQuaid simply did whatever he (Kimmage) said? I don't get the impression from the article that he would; the impression I get is that he has a big ol' hate on for McQuaid, to such extent that it eclipses fixing pro cycling in his mind.

If he has said elsewhere what he wants to do, and he's honestly (objectively, and leaving personalities out of it) trying to make it happen, then I stand corrected. I do not follow this issue closely. All I could see here is venom directed toward one person. . . which is notoriously ineffective in creating change.

firerescuefin
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I would have liked him to say what he thinks should be done.

That's what matters -- not who does it. Would he be happy if McQuaid simply did whatever he (Kimmage) said? I don't get the impression from the article that he would; the impression I get is that he has a big ol' hate on for McQuaid, to such extent that it eclipses fixing pro cycling in his mind.

If he has said elsewhere what he wants to do, and he's honestly (objectively, and leaving personalities out of it) trying to make it happen, then I stand corrected. I do not follow this issue closely. All I could see here is venom directed toward one person. . . which is notoriously ineffective in creating change.

I'll say it one more time.....the story is McQuaid getting re-elected, not about how Kimmage thinks doping should be stopped. You know how you don't stop doping....re-electing Pat McQuaid.

goonster
04-15-2013, 04:06 PM
You know how you don't stop doping....re-electing Pat McQuaid.

Exactly.

Rueda Tropical
04-15-2013, 05:44 PM
If McQuaid stays taking down Armstrong will have been a waste of time. McQuaid will declare the problem solved and groom the next generation of dopers.

The point of the Armstrong-Ferrari-Postal-Fuentes-etc., deal was to clean up the sport but in the end if the top guy stays those soldiers and capos can and will be replaced.

thinpin
04-17-2013, 04:23 AM
If McQuaid stays taking down Armstrong will have been a waste of time. McQuaid will declare the problem solved and groom the next generation of dopers.

The point of the Armstrong-Ferrari-Postal-Fuentes-etc., deal was to clean up the sport but in the end if the top guy stays those soldiers and capos can and will be replaced.
While I generally agree I dont think he is a groomer, more the medium which allows the festering sore to continue.

Rueda Tropical
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
While I generally agree I dont think he is a groomer, more the medium which allows the festering sore to continue.

He's not supplying the dope just making sure no one gets caught unless they really screw up. I don't think he is doing that without compensation.

FlashUNC
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
McQuaid runs the regulatory body for the sport and has repeatedly said the UCI bears no responsibility for the doping, or that more could have been done.

Until he and Verbruggen are gone, the sport will not change.

I'm with Kimmage on this one.