PDA

View Full Version : Rattle can paint job

cmbicycles
04-14-2013, 01:35 PM
So I found a bike that some hipster had painted, poorly, and rescued it from him for a fair price considering the condition. It had un-spray painted parts worth what he wanted for the whole lot so I grabbed it. The frame underneath the crappy paint is an older Seven steel frame, and has what seems a nice color metallic original paint job under the krylon/rust oleum.

Is there anything not too caustic, or otherwise if needed, that will remove the spray can paint without also stripping the good paint under it?

vqdriver
04-14-2013, 02:15 PM
if you're referring to a chemical paint remover, i don't know how it could stop at just the spray paint. i suspect it'll eat thru to the metal. (they're quite effective but caustic btw)

if the frame's in good shape otherwise, you may want to have seven refinish it. on a budget, your local powdercoater probably has a set price for bike frames, which includes stripping and single color. you could have them do it and get some replacement decals. don't know what they do with carbon forks tho.

cmbicycles
04-14-2013, 08:12 PM
I am open to trying anything, whether chem stripper or not. I'd rather try to save the frame than have it repainted, it fits better into my budget that way. I figure I'll try just buffing it with some polish/rubbing compound and see how well that takes off the rattle can stuff.
Just wondering if anyone has had success with any other methods, or had any other ideas.

AngryScientist
04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
it'll be tough to remove one layer of paint and leave the layer below largely intact. the rattle can job was probably in response to some pretty poor paint conditions in the first place.

powercoating is a super cost effective way to go, and any good shop should be able to grit blast the old paint off and give you a single color powdercoat for a very fair price.

ultraman6970
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
You can try sanding the crappy paint off.

dlui
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
if the base paint is factory stuff, I have used lacquer thinner to wipe off spray paint off of car fenders, doors etc. without harming base. just a quick wipe, not soak. then a little polishing compound to shine it up. do it outdoors in shade, wear heavy rubber gloves and a respirator for fumes

Formulasaab
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
How crappy is the rattle can job?

If its bad enough, it might be possible to steam it off. I've heard of that working in another situation on a much larger scale.