PDA

View Full Version : Intro - Mike from NC

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Hello from beautiful NC!

After spending 6 months cruising the Classified and being relegated to PM only...I've decided to get with the program.

What's to say...I'm 52 and back into cycling as I approach my second childhood. Used to own an early 80's Panasonic DX4000, and regret ever selling it. Red frame, white tape and Biopace...who could ask for anything more? Sold it when the kids came along to start riding gravel.

Got back on a road bike last spring and have just become totally obsessed. My N+1 is currently up to (5)

1) Garneau Sonix 6.2
2) Salsa LaCruz
3) Lemond Zurich
4) Dean Ti El Diente
5) Salsa LaRaza

Also got my oldest son, age 28 in the game. Finding the right bike has been challenging as he is 6'9" with an unholy 39" inseam. But we've done pretty good so far:

1) Colnago C40 64 cm - pre HP/ pre B-Stay - in Mapei paint scheme. He tells me it's a sweet ride...I'm afraid to climb up on the thing.
2) Salsa Campeon 64 cm with 180mm cranks. Scandium frame. All hope of keeping up with him on the hills has vanished.

We're having more fun than I ever thought possible and looking foward to another NC spring and sweltering summer.

Let's start a conversation and get me legit over on the classified! I look forward to being a part of the community.

Mike

cdn_bacon
04-14-2013, 02:51 PM
:hello:after 33 views... I say WELCOME!:hello:

thirdgenbird
04-14-2013, 02:59 PM
I would try a C40 of any size.

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Appreciate the welcome!

And if you saw the C40, you'd be scared too. The seat is above my nipples and the standover is well above my boys. His bikes litererally dwarf my 56/57 cm bikes.

And the crazy thing is...his Salsa Campeon is lightest at 18lbs even. Yesterday he grabbed his downtube when reaching for his water bottle. I told him to be careful or he'd crush it like a beer can.

oliver1850
04-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Is 64 big enough? Doesn't seem like it would be.

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 03:20 PM
They're listed as 64/65 as they have seatpost extensions. TT's run about 61cm.
With a 140 stem and some setback in the seat he seems to make it work pretty well.

The original owner of the C40 from Austin, TX said he ordered it custom from Italy and at the time, it was the largest C40 to be shipped out. The paint still looks brand new even after 12000 miles and 10+years.

oliver1850
04-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Now would be a good time to post the pics.

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 04:05 PM
First attempt at posting pic...sorry for the background clutter.
Pedals have been swapped to Keo's.

oliver1850
04-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Cool bike, but you should talk to Ernesto about a bigger one.

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 04:18 PM
My boy has 24 years on me...is nearly a foot taller...and can top my best HR by about 30 bpm. I refuse to give him any further advantages. At this point I'd move him to a 55cm if I thought it would help.

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 04:32 PM
BTW...cdn_bacon

Love that signature line :)

FlashUNC
04-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Always good to see another North Carolinian around.

Very politically sensitive question here:

Which college basketball team do you pull for? (Any answer is acceptable but those jerks from Durham)

Pete Mckeon
04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Here in NC. I am located in North Raleigh and everything has a coating of green. My glass after the ride this morning and my ears were green...:banana: BUT THEM I AM IRISH

Hello from beautiful NC!

After spending 6 months cruising the Classified and being relegated to PM only...I've decided to get with the program.

What's to say...I'm 52 and back into cycling as I approach my second childhood. Used to own an early 80's Panasonic DX4000, and regret ever selling it. Red frame, white tape and Biopace...who could ask for anything more? Sold it when the kids came along to start riding gravel.

Got back on a road bike last spring and have just become totally obsessed. My N+1 is currently up to (5)

1) Garneau Sonix 6.2
2) Salsa LaCruz
3) Lemond Zurich
4) Dean Ti El Diente
5) Salsa LaRaza

Also got my oldest son, age 28 in the game. Finding the right bike has been challenging as he is 6'9" with an unholy 39" inseam. But we've done pretty good so far:

1) Colnago C40 64 cm - pre HP/ pre B-Stay - in Mapei paint scheme. He tells me it's a sweet ride...I'm afraid to climb up on the thing.
2) Salsa Campeon 64 cm with 180mm cranks. Scandium frame. All hope of keeping up with him on the hills has vanished.

We're having more fun than I ever thought possible and looking foward to another NC spring and sweltering summer.

Let's start a conversation and get me legit over on the classified! I look forward to being a part of the community.

Mike

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Saw a Carolina Blue t-shirt yesterday with the words:

DUCK
FUKE

I laughed a little :)

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Pete,

I'll take the green pollen over the wind rolling off the glacier we had in March.

Worst March ever....

But April has been nice.

SPOKE
04-14-2013, 08:51 PM
If you're located in the triangle area Pete and I would enjoy getting together with you for a ride. Just let us know......

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Spoke,

Appreciate the invite but I'm about 2 hours south down 85. Ever get down to Salisbury?

SPOKE
04-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Spoke,

Appreciate the invite but I'm about 2 hours south down 85. Ever get down to Salisbury?

I get there occasionally Mike. My sales territory ends in Lexington but I can stretch to the Salisbury area some time.

Exonerv
04-14-2013, 10:14 PM
The west Rowan area has some great rides. Let me know when you'd be interested in getting together. We'll use my son as the pace car. :)

kramnnim
04-14-2013, 10:27 PM
...I ride all over Rowan county (and surrounding areas). Wonder if I've seen you. Don't think I've seen your son's Colnago...would have remembered it. Let me know if you want to meet up to ride...I'm up in Woodleaf.

If you're on Facebook, look for the "Rowan Cyclists" group for posts about group rides. We used to meet at Windsong on Tuesday/Thursday, since they closed some have been meeting in Spencer, seems to be a bit slow in picking back up though.

Edit: Maybe you're the Mike I recently started following on Strava, if your son's name starts with a D?

pcxmbfj
04-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Welcome from another NC rider, fellow owner of a Dean, though mine is a mtb.

Live and ride mostly in the Triad and but who knows when paths may cross in a state that has such a variety of biking possibilities.

Check out www.biketriad.com for the buzz.

Exonerv
04-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Mark!

I just decoded your name. We've been following you for a while. You do indeed ride all over. Impressive numbers! My son thought we saw you the other day on Archer Rd, but checked and you were riding down toward the lake.

As my schedule consists of mostly evening work, we tend to get out before noon. We have a loop we like that takes us by Freightliner and often ride out toward Davidson. We're looking for some new routes and would be up for getting together sometime.

Mike & Drew

Exonerv
04-15-2013, 06:44 AM
pcxmbfj,

I noted that Dean in your sig and have been considering a 29er. Been happy with it?

I picked up my Garneau from Jerry who lives in Harrisburg and mods on the Tarheel Trailblazer forums....everyone I've met seems to know him. The Garneau has turned out to be a great bike and while I love my Dean, the LG is quicker... and with 25mm tires rides every bit as nice.

I'm presently looking to trade the Salsa LaRaza for a 29'er or something like a Poprad. My son and I hope to do a trip to AK this summer and I'd like to have fenders and disc breaks. The LaCruz would fit the bill, but was technically purchased for my wife, so you know how it is...

I've seen the Poprad's in the Classified and have been in touch, but they're not into trading at this point. So, anyone want to buy a LaRaza so I can buy a Poprad?
Photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/101949345216512462962/albums/5865718316390626209?authkey=CLTrhIbw5c75twE

djg
04-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Always good to see another North Carolinian around.

Very politically sensitive question here:

Which college basketball team do you pull for? (Any answer is acceptable but those jerks from Durham)

Makes me smile . . . the wife is just not an athlete and has no interest in competitive sports. None. Plenty of good athletes on her side of the family, including a pro this or that. She doesn't care. But I spent one summer, long ago, working at UNC in Chapel Hill. And all of a sudden tar heels were "satan's minions."

To the OP: welcome.

Exonerv
04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Yeah...basketball rises to the level of religion in these parts. As I tend to pretty singularly focused, I could barely be considered a casual fan at this point. As noted, I'm an old guy and go back to the days when Dean was king and the 4 corners offense(?) won championships.

Still I think ACC basketball is played with more heart that just about any other athletic endeavor. The rivalries are downright epic...despite the expanded conference.

pcxmbfj
04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
If I had to clear my stable that's the one I'd keep. Yes, I'm happy with it.

It's been 3 X 9, 1 X 1, rigid with Dean fork, and currently hardtail 1 X 9.

I also have a Lynskey and a couple of Litespeeds and the workmanship doesn't compare IMO.

Met Mark riding the Kerr Scott trails a few years ago, a very nice young gentleman and strong rider.

pcxmbfj,

I noted that Dean in your sig and have been considering a 29er. Been happy with it?

I picked up my Garneau from Jerry who lives in Harrisburg and mods on the Tarheel Trailblazer forums....everyone I've met seems to know him. The Garneau has turned out to be a great bike and while I love my Dean, the LG is quicker... and with 25mm tires rides every bit as nice.

I'm presently looking to trade the Salsa LaRaza for a 29'er or something like a Poprad. My son and I hope to do a trip to AK this summer and I'd like to have fenders and disc breaks. The LaCruz would fit the bill, but was technically purchased for my wife, so you know how it is...

I've seen the Poprad's in the Classified and have been in touch, but they're not into trading at this point. So, anyone want to buy a LaRaza so I can buy a Poprad?

Exonerv
04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
I appreciate the comment on the Dean workmanship. I was leaning heavily toward a Lynskey when I found "The Tooth."

To my eye (and I can be pretty OCD), the welds on the Dean are as good as I can imagine. When I replaced the crank the other day, I was even more impressed when I peered into the bottom bracket...incredibly clean. Kinda of a shame to have that level of product and such a poor reputation for delivery and service. I've never needed either, so can't really speak to anything beyond what I've read. Sounds like the company may have went through a tough patch and been distracted.

Anyhow, I'm glad to have my Dean. Found it on CL from a super nice doc in Baltimore. Had 620 miles on it and a full DA7800 group...literally like new.

I have some Cane Creek Volos on my Garneau that I've been meaning to give a try on the Dean. The Volos are considerably lighter and seem to spin up quicker than the 32 spoke Open Pros I have on the Dean. Of course, everything I read tells me it would only be a placebo effect, but those Volos definitely work well on the LG. I'm running the same rubber on both (25 mm Cont GP4000s) so it would be a fair comparison.

Mark's numbers are off the chart strong. He sure puts in the work. The other day, on a short ride to the park...with just the right tailwind, and my son helping to pull, I stole one of his KOM's on a flat Strava segment. I think I was able to enjoy my "accomplishment" for about 2 days before Mark took more than 3 secs off my time as part of a 40 mile ride. It would be an honor to ride with him for a while before getting dropped and waving goodbye.

PaMtbRider
04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Welcome to our small corner of the internet. I love to draft off the big guys like your son. At 6'3" I am considered little Dan in the group I ride with. Big Dan is 6'7" and is who I currently draft off of.

I see you have a couple of Salsa bikes. I think they make some great products at a competitive price. I sold my Dos Niner but still have a Salsa Casseroll for dirt road / gravel riding.

Thanks for the actual dialogue. You see so many "nice bike, +1..." comments by new members trying to get their post count up.

Exonerv
04-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks...you guys have a nice atmosphere.

This group seemed more conversational and content oriented than some of the other forums I've visited. On some boards, folks only seem to want to disagree and argue with any point you may be trying to make. I'm all for learning something new, but gave up butting egos for it's on sake years ago.

And I love riding behind my son. Sometimes I have to pull out just to catch a breeze. Only problem is, it's getting tougher to hold his wheel anymore. I'm going to have to find me some other folks to wheel suck soon.

As a family we seem to own more Salsa's than any other brand. They are all great bikes and do offer a great deal of value for the money. High end steel/aluminum, good geometry/groups, and nice styling.

Exonerv
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Just posted the Salsa La Raza over on the classified...thanks for taking the time to have this conversation. And hope to ride with several of you soon!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1331150#post1331150

Mike

pcxmbfj
04-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Another class move by Dean is the welded cage bolt holes, the Lynskey and Litespeed are riveted.
I've been looking at the Dean road bikes advertised but haven't found one big enough for me.

kramnnim
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Hmm, I guess our weekday riding schedule doesn't align at all, maybe a weekend would work. Haven't ventured too close to Davidson, didn't seem to be a good way to get across the river without dealing with traffic...not that 150 is any better...lol. The roads north of 40 and west of 77 are my current favorites...not much traffic, great scenery.

I think someone on the forums here used to own your Garneau frame before Jerry. Haven't seen him post in a while, though.

Oh, and your time on that segment was tough to beat...and I just lost the KOM status to a guy who forgot to turn off the Strava app when he got in his car...lol. Oh well.

Exonerv
04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Mark,

We've found some back roads to Davidson that avoids 77 and the river. Check Strava for our routes. If we extend to Jetton Park we cross 77 in Corneilus...and that part can be a little tricky, but completely doable on a Sunday.

My son saw the new KOM on Briggs and immediately figured out what had happened. Average speed was like 50 mph :-) That's kickin with a 119 heart rate!

Jerry told me the previous owner's name on the Garneau, but I can't remember it now. I couldn't be more pleased with the ride and fit on that bike. It's by far my best climber and comfortable on longer rides as well. She's a keeper.

pcxmbfj - I was unaware the other bikes you mentioned didn't weld the bottle cage mounts too. Good info. What size do you need as I peruse CL wih disturbing regularity? Perhaps I could help.

pcxmbfj
04-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Mark,

We've found some back roads to Davidson that avoids 77 and the river. Check Strava for our routes. If we extend to Jetton Park we cross 77 in Corneilus...and that part can be a little tricky, but completely doable on a Sunday.

My son saw the new KOM on Briggs and immediately figured out what had happened. Average speed was like 50 mph :-) That's kickin with a 119 heart rate!

Je.

pcxmbfj - I was unaware the other bikes you mentioned didn't weld the bottle cage mounts too. Good info. What size do you need as I peruse CL wih disturbing regularity? Perhaps I could help.

Ride 60/61cm road frames but road is secondary to trails for me. Don"t know how tall you are but you might want to look at the 27.5" mountain frame. At 6'2" the 29er was a more natural fit to me after riding 26" wheels for 20+ years. The 27.5/650 conversions I've done ride close to the 29. Current project is to be an allrounder built on a Soma Double Cross disc frame with intentions for riding road and trails.
We get down to Davidson Community College of some of our rides but I85 is like the ocean, not to be crossed.
Kudos on your Briggs effort.

FlashUNC
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Mark,

Jerry told me the previous owner's name on the Garneau, but I can't remember it now. I couldn't be more pleased with the ride and fit on that bike. It's by far my best climber and comfortable on longer rides as well. She's a keeper.

Y'all are always welcome to come down and ride around Charlotte. Or we can meet somewhere in the middle.

1/2 Wheeler
04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
:banana:

Exonerv
04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
pcxmbfj...everytime I type that I wonder if you have an FJ Cruiser as I have an '08 in silver. Not a perfect vehicle, but overall I'm happy with it.

I'm 5'10" and currently at 150lbs, having dropped 25+lbs since getting into all this. I have wondered about sizing on a MTB as my knowledge in that department is pretty limited. Several folks have steered me toward a 29'er, but I'll need more guidance on where to begin.

I'll keep my eyes open for a larger Dean road bike and let you know if I run across anything.

FlashUNC - things seem to get pretty congested once we get past Corneilus heading toward Charlotte, so Jetton Park is about as far as I go. I have family down toward Harrisburg/Lower Rocky River Road. Some of those routes seem pretty nice.

On Friday, I'll be heading to Florida to get in a little saltwater flyfishing for the next 10 days, so early May could work with my schedule for getting together.

Keith A
04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
On Friday, I'll be heading to Florida to get in a little saltwater flyfishing for the next 10 days, so early May could work with my schedule for getting together.Just curious, where will you be in Florida?

FlashUNC
04-16-2013, 12:12 PM
pcxmbfj...everytime I type that I wonder if you have an FJ Cruiser as I have an '08 in silver. Not a perfect vehicle, but overall I'm happy with it.

I'm 5'10" and currently at 150lbs, having dropped 25+lbs since getting into all this. I have wondered about sizing on a MTB as my knowledge in that department is pretty limited. Several folks have steered me toward a 29'er, but I'll need more guidance on where to begin.

I'll keep my eyes open for a larger Dean road bike and let you know if I run across anything.

FlashUNC - things seem to get pretty congested once we get past Corneilus heading toward Charlotte, so Jetton Park is about as far as I go. I have family down toward Harrisburg/Lower Rocky River Road. Some of those routes seem pretty nice.

On Friday, I'll be heading to Florida to get in a little saltwater flyfishing for the next 10 days, so early May could work with my schedule for getting together.

Very few good options to get into and out of Charlotte on a bike. Harrisburg and Lower Rocky River do have some nice riding.

Exonerv
04-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Keith,

Heading to Chokoloskee to target tarpon, snook & redfish on the fly. I have a good fishing buddy who has a place there and on Lake Erie.

It's nice to know people... :)

Keith A
04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Looks like fun...I hope you have a great time.

Exonerv
04-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks Keith...fisherman by any chance? Almost have to be - living in FL...

Ahneida Ride
04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
WELCOME !!!!! :banana: :banana:

Keith A
04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Keith...fisherman by any chance? Almost have to be - living in FL...Ummm, I like to eat fish :rolleyes: and I ride a "fish" surfboard, but don't actually do much fishing. I think my wife would put my stuff on the lawn if I picked up another activity in addition to riding, surfing and skateboarding :eek:

Exonerv
04-17-2013, 01:20 PM
I hear ya Keith!

Between fly fishing & and my cycling obsession, my wife has been incredibly tolerant...for over 30 years now.

Exonerv
04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks Ahneida!

That's quite an impressive post count you have there...