PDA

View Full Version : Perfect second bike?

whforrest
04-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Ok, I'm almost finished with my project bike. I really don't want to hammer in the rain and local crits with this build. (Don't worry I plan to ride the heck out of this bike)

Now it's time to think about a second build. Herewith requirements.

Dedicated rain bike that I can install fenders. I plan on riding min 25-27 tires. Racing bike for local circuit races. Do a few cross races in fall. (Switch tires to cross) when I go camping ride bike trails. So I need this bike to do many things.

I don't care about weight. I already have a few da 7900 parts. Should I find an older serotta steel frame? A dedicated cross frame? I know many forum items have built up their commuter/rain bikes.

vav
04-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Black Mountain Cycles

http://www.blackmtncycles.com/

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=125599

Should fulfill your needs. I am biased of course. :)

rwsaunders
04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Not too many older Serotta frames will accept fenders, as well as tires larger than 25mm. Based on cross being one of your design requirements, seems like a Poprad might be in your future, as a canti and disc version were both manufactured. Fenders, wider tires, cross, training, commuting...does a bit of all. There are a couple for sale right now too.

A lot of the British web catalog sites like Ribble offer Winter training bike packages. Perhaps research their sites for a package that you can emulate.

Volant
04-14-2013, 12:47 PM
I'll second the Poprad recommendation; and not because mine is for sale, but because it is an all-arounder that accomodates 35's with fenders and racks. The only thing about a rack, however, is that there is no eyes for the top mount. There are fender mounts, however, no bridge to anchor the front of the rear fender.

pdmtong
04-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Dedicated rain bike that I can install fenders. I plan on riding min 25-27 tires. Racing bike for local circuit races. Do a few cross races in fall. (Switch tires to cross) when I go camping ride bike trails. So I need this bike to do many things.

I think the want to do circuit races AND cross with the same machine makes this tough.

circuit races - IF club racer...takes fenders. can't do cross or big tires

cross races - specialized tricross...takes fenders, rakes, 38c, but probably not quite quick enough for circuit races.

glad to see the JB ottrott wont see double duty as a thrash machine. whew!

MattTuck
04-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Surly cross check?

thirdgenbird
04-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Mr pink?

Mud clearance may be a concern (calipers) but other than that, it may fit your needs.

Ken Robb
04-14-2013, 03:49 PM
almost any Rivendell frame, Waterford/Gunnar Sport models.

oliver1850
04-14-2013, 04:07 PM
The rain bike/commuter vs. CX race bike raises a few compromises, not sure where your priority is.

I think the old Nova Series frames would work, but I don't know what size tire will fit with fenders. They are easy to spot because they don't have brazed on shifter mounts. You would have to use a clamp band to mount cable stops assuming you're going to run STI. The better choice for a Serotta would be a Rapid Tour, I think there's one in the classifieds now.

Other things come to mind other than CX frames such as various touring frames, and lots of English road frames of a certain vintage - Bob Jackson built some nice sport/light touring type frames. Mine fits a 700 x 35 cross tire with 5 mm chainstay clearance. The frame has fender braze ons, but the sloping crown fork doesn't. Raleigh Techniums will fit 35 cross tires with fenders, but it's a tight fit.

bluesea
04-14-2013, 04:23 PM
CAAD 10, mang. :)

BYKE-RIDER
04-14-2013, 07:11 PM
A custom ride that capitalizes on the "Paul Racer" brake has been a dream of mine for a long time.

My thinking, disc brakes work well for rain/ cross but I dont think they would be aloud in crit races. Not sure on that one, as a few high end carbon road bikes are now available with disc.

Canti brakes work well for cross, but I dont find them ideal for wet road rims, nor do I think they are ideal for the fast braking required in crit races.

Some of the inexpensive Madone's have a trick little adapter to attach fenders.

AgilisMerlin
04-15-2013, 05:41 AM
A second perfect bike, from experience, is one that is ridden sooooo much that it makes me question the worth of the first.

and so on down the line

now, my fun begins when I decide to start replacing or adding to the bunch and mixing up the hierarchy.

just some thoughts

AgilisMerlin
04-15-2013, 05:43 AM
CAAD 10, mang. :)

agree, and very close to the top step

saab2000
04-15-2013, 05:48 AM
A second perfect bike, from experience, is one that is ridden sooooo much that it makes me question the worth of the first.

This. I have a Redline cross bike that is remarkably versatile and gets ridden in a lot of bad weather. It has occurred to me more than once while riding that if it were my only bike it would not be terrible. Not terrible at all.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Ok, I'm almost finished with my project bike. I really don't want to hammer in the rain and local crits with this build. (Don't worry I plan to ride the heck out of this bike)

Now it's time to think about a second build. Herewith requirements.

I don't care about weight. I already have a few da 7900 parts. Should I find an older serotta steel frame? A dedicated cross frame? I know many forum items have built up their commuter/rain bikes.

www.gunnarbikes.com

oldpotatoe
04-15-2013, 08:14 AM
I think the want to do circuit races AND cross with the same machine makes this tough.

circuit races - IF club racer...takes fenders. can't do cross or big tires

cross races - specialized tricross...takes fenders, rakes, 38c, but probably not quite quick enough for circuit races.

glad to see the JB ottrott wont see double duty as a thrash machine. whew!

My Aunt Matilda's mustache... The geometry between a lot of so called 'cross bikes' and their road cousins are really close. Why NOT put skinny tires onto a 'all rounder' and do a circuit race? Unless you are worried about 'comment's from the peanut gallery when you line up on the start line?

avalonracing
04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Second bike as a rain bike? No way!... that should be just like your first in case you have a mechanical when you are in a rush out the door. Third bike should be yet another just like the first two in case your number two bike needs a back up bike.
It's not until you get to bike Seven for the rain bike, Eight: the coffee shop bike, Nine: the lock to the parking meter city bike, etc.

oliver1850
04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Second bike as a rain bike? No way!... that should be just like your first in case you have a mechanical when you are in a rush out the door. Third bike should be yet another just like the first two in case your number two bike needs a back up bike.
It's not until you get to bike Seven for the rain bike, Eight: the coffee shop bike, Nine: the lock to the parking meter city bike, etc.

Yes, not a bike for every season; A bike for every day of the month.

jr59
04-15-2013, 10:45 AM

I like the way you think :hello::hello:

shovelhd
04-15-2013, 11:49 AM
This. I have a Redline cross bike that is remarkably versatile and gets ridden in a lot of bad weather. It has occurred to me more than once while riding that if it were my only bike it would not be terrible. Not terrible at all.

Same here, Conquest Pro. I have it fitted with a CX crankset, rack, fenders and lights, but it is my backup race bike and would do just fine if needed.