PDA

View Full Version : Riding fixed..... double sided pedals are a must

Smiley
11-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Picked up a good deal from brother Roy Munson on a set of Time ATAC pedals for the Kogs , not untill todays ride did I realize how much easier it is to ride fixed with double sided pedals. All you newbies to fixed , swap out to double sided pedals and make life on one gear much easier. Thanks Roy , your pedals made me faster :)

Sandy you missed a good ride today , fenders went on last night for the anticipated wet roads !

keno
11-24-2005, 12:15 PM
would you consider Shimano 7800 pedals one or two sided? I know, I know, but the way I see it is it's just one more skill to develop. BTW, just did 35 min on the rollers and my fixie rides of last weekend made the rollers much easier. One feeds the other - the two silver bullets for riding improvement.

Best to you, K and friends for a fine Thanksgiving,

keno

dbrk
11-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I got one word for you: clipsn'straps.

MKS makes the most beautiful pedals ya'v ever seen (nicer than old Campag Superleggeri, i.m.h.o. bro. Use the steel clips to match, order one size larger than you think because Japanese clips run small...

Trick (such as it is): with clipsn'straps put your non-dominant foot in first before you go, then voila, one turn, yer'in...

ATACs are really nice for the Dark Side of the Force and all that. To each his own! No foul! No harm!

dbrk

Smiley
11-24-2005, 12:56 PM
BTW, just did 35 min on the rollers and my fixie rides of last weekend made the rollers much easier. One feeds the other - the two silver bullets for riding improvement.

keno

Keno , The fixee thing is really good , I find that I ride my kogs when ever I am not going out with the boys for any long fast endurance rides. BTW what's the deal with New Zealand , why there for a bike ride and what types of bikes will they have for your riding pleasure. Hope to see you down here for a Spring gathering . Have a safe trip and report back with photo's and all.

Lifelover
11-24-2005, 05:46 PM
I got one word for you: clipsn'straps.

MKS makes the most beautiful pedals ya'v ever seen (nicer than old Campag Superleggeri, i.m.h.o. bro. Use the steel clips to match, order one size larger than you think because Japanese clips run small...

Trick (such as it is): with clipsn'straps put your non-dominant foot in first before you go, then voila, one turn, yer'in...

ATACs are really nice for the Dark Side of the Force and all that. To each his own! No foul! No harm!

dbrk

Do these work like Powergrips (http://www.ekosport.com/pg_how_works.shtml)?

I see them on the Riv site and did a google for them but really don't have a feel for how they work.

djg
11-24-2005, 07:24 PM
a top and a bottom.

As for clips on both sides: nice if you want to use mtb shoes, which might be nice if you're doing much walking, but how does it make you faster to have them on the fixie? Once you clip in, there's not much use to the extra set of springs on the other side of the pedal.

Ti Designs
11-24-2005, 07:49 PM
This reminds me of all those people who are new to cycling who think the double sided pedals (one side flat, the other SPD) are a good idea. At first glance it may seem like a good idea, but then it turns out to be worse than either. The SPD side is OK, but cornering clearance sucks, and as you're on a fixed gear and can't coast in corners... The flat pedal is worse. People think "It's my first time on a fixed gear, I'll use flat pedals", so they can lose the pedals and bash their shins with the pedals as they wobble out of control.

It's a learning curve folks. Put the same road pedals you use on your road bike on your fixed gear, find a safe, flat place to practice, and figure it out. Why use road pedals? For the same reason you would use them on a road bike - stability. SPD pedals lack lateral stability while the greater surface area of most road cleats don't. On a fixed gear you're in too high a gear going up hill and too low a gear while riding back down.

Smiley
11-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks Roy , your pedals made me faster :)

inside joke , since I got a good deal from Munson I told him I hoped the pedals would make me faster :) hence the smiley face .

Ginger
11-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Sheesh Smiley...why stop at two sides? Four sided pedals are probably twice as good! Get yourself some Eggbeaters and beee happy...

(just kidding...)

Brian Smith
11-24-2005, 09:43 PM
All you newbies to fixed , swap out to double sided pedals and make life on one gear much easier.

That's true Smile-man....
My favorite double sided pedals, though, are the ones without binding mechanisms. Simple. Well, even my "simple is King" pal MC Ti runs the binding pedals, so I guess simple is neither an end-all nor easily defined.

Advantages to binding pedals:
more "comforting" to those who solely ride those on other bikes
better braking
more accepting of poor pedalling technique above (about) 130rpm

Advantages to non-binding pedals:
less footwear restrictions
less to maintain/replace
more quality per dollar
easier (yet) mounting/dismounting

Best optimization (imo): non-binding pedals and brakes at least on the front...

Vancouverdave
11-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Not only are double sided pedals good for riding fixed gear, they're absolutely great for tandem riding. Anecdote: Friend of mine who is addicted to Speedplay X pedals used them for the front of his tandem, which also allowed him to use Dura Ace cranks on the front; since the Speedplay road pedals have no front or back it didn't matter which side of the bike which crank arm went on.

djg
11-25-2005, 07:29 AM
It's a learning curve folks. Put the same road pedals you use on your road bike on your fixed gear, find a safe, flat place to practice, and figure it out. Why use road pedals? For the same reason you would use them on a road bike - stability. SPD pedals lack lateral stability while the greater surface area of most road cleats don't. On a fixed gear you're in too high a gear going up hill and too low a gear while riding back down.

And a pretty steep learning curve, yes? Seems to me that it's just not that hard to learn how to clip in--especially if you're duplicating the pedal you have on your geared bike.

Chief
11-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Sheesh Smiley...why stop at two sides? Four sided pedals are probably twice as good! Get yourself some Eggbeaters and beee happy...

(just kidding...)

Why not go to the limit as the number of sides of the pedal approach infinity; ie, round pedals which should then be infinitely better. :D

Dekonick
11-25-2005, 09:51 AM
And a pretty steep learning curve, yes? Seems to me that it's just not that hard to learn how to clip in--especially if you're duplicating the pedal you have on your geared bike.

It isn't about learning to clip in - it is about being able to put a foot down and not do the LOOK slide....

I tried Looks (which I rode on my road bikes...switching all but one pair to ATAC's...I love them) on my fixed gear and found that road soles suck on a fixed gear bike - after all you do put your foot down when you stop to cross intersections, at lights, etc (still learning to trackstand)) and more often than not the crank arm will not be in an ideal position to clip back in thus you may need to scoot a foot or 2 - not fun with that slippery as hell Look cleat.

Just my .02 :D

Tom
11-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Why not go to the limit as the number of sides of the pedal approach infinity; ie, round pedals which should then be infinitely better. :D

I'm going to run right out to the patent office. I'm gonna make a million dollars!

Think about it: Speedplay says their pedals are the lightest around... so we take the pedal platform off and clip onto just the spindle! Millions of dollars are coming my way now! How will I spend it all?

Just don't count the 40 pound cleat... but it works for Speedplay so it'll work for me, by gum.

93legendti
11-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm going to run right out to the patent office. I'm gonna make a million dollars!

Think about it: Speedplay says their pedals are the lightest around... so we take the pedal platform off and clip onto just the spindle! Millions of dollars are coming my way now! How will I spend it all?

Just don't count the 40 pound cleat... but it works for Speedplay so it'll work for me, by gum.

Sadly, I think Aerolite and M2 have you beat on that idea...

http://www.aerolitepedals.com/products.htm

http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?entry=products&id=11&PHPSESSID=4355150a03bed8871b3930d2c9fa06dc

Len J
11-25-2005, 10:24 AM
..... after all you do put your foot down when you stop to cross intersections, at lights, etc (still learning to trackstand)) and more often than not the crank arm will not be in an ideal position to clip back in thus you may need to scoot a foot or 2 - not fun with that slippery as hell Look cleat.

Just my .02 :D

You are stopped and the crankarm isn't in the right place......with one foot on the ground and one foot clipped in, grip the front brake tightly and push down on the handlebars, the rear will will raise off the ground.......now simply turn the crank with the clipped in foot, to where you want to start from, lower the back wheel and you are good to go.....a little practice and this becomes second nature. No need to "Scoot a fot ot 2"

Len

Tom
11-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Sadly, I think Aerolite and M2 have you beat on that idea...

http://www.aerolitepedals.com/products.htm

http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?entry=products&id=11&PHPSESSID=4355150a03bed8871b3930d2c9fa06dc

Bastidges!

93legendti
11-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Bastidges!

Don't despair..you could always invent the spindle-less pedal!

Dekonick
11-25-2005, 01:20 PM
You are stopped and the crankarm isn't in the right place......with one foot on the ground and one foot clipped in, grip the front brake tightly and push down on the handlebars, the rear will will raise off the ground.......now simply turn the crank with the clipped in foot, to where you want to start from, lower the back wheel and you are good to go.....a little practice and this becomes second nature. No need to "Scoot a fot ot 2"

Len

Yeah - thats a useful tip (and I do it) but it still leaves you standing on the look iceskate err cleat...I just find mtn pedals are friendly to fixed gear setups - again I have only been riding a fixee (or fixxie, fixie or however ya spell it :D )for a little more than a year now so am far from expert. It is a blast! :banana:

Ti Designs
11-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah - thats a useful tip (and I do it) but it still leaves you standing on the look iceskate err cleat...I just find mtn pedals are friendly to fixed gear setups - again I have only been riding a fixee (or fixxie, fixie or however ya spell it :D )for a little more than a year now so am far from expert.

Just how does a fixed gear differ from a road bike when it comes to point of contact with the ground when not clipped in?

Roy E. Munson
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks Roy , your pedals made me faster

Any chance you could give them back? :banana:
Glad they worked out, enjoy.

Fixed
11-25-2005, 03:52 PM
bro how about platforms and a pair of vans some baggy shorts and a teeshirt a old cycling cap clearglasses and you'll look like me cheers :beer:

Dekonick
11-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Just how does a fixed gear differ from a road bike when it comes to point of contact with the ground when not clipped in?

It is not the point of contact that changes. Because you are stuck in one gear, starting on a hill is much easier with a pedal you can just stomp into and know it will engage. On a multi gear setup it is no biggie if you don't get it right as you can freewheel (and are probably in the correct gear to start) try starting on a hill in 39x14 (thats what I am using ATM - probably too few GI...) and you will agree - the first revolution isn't always with both feet clipped in but it requires quite a bit of effort to keep momentum going so you can clip in. Face it - mountain pedals are better suited for this. It wouldn't matter for a better rider as alot of fixed gear cyclists just trackstand and thus don't have the same issues.

Ill stick with my ATAC's :D

Fixed
11-25-2005, 08:46 PM
bro I like crank bros 4 sided entry cheers :beer:

jerk
11-25-2005, 09:40 PM
track bikes should have those old ****tty cyclo-look touring pedals on them, covered in saran wrap....then three kashimax toe straps need to tie your lycra covered wooden soled duegis with the the laces removed and replaced with a giant carbon fiber velcro strap to the awful pedals....then you'll be able to ride sub-minute kilos.....of course you'll fall over when you're done but that's what your coach is for....he brought a screwdriver.

jerk

Ti Designs
11-26-2005, 11:10 AM
It is not the point of contact that changes. Because you are stuck in one gear, starting on a hill is much easier with a pedal you can just stomp into and know it will engage. On a multi gear setup it is no biggie if you don't get it right as you can freewheel (and are probably in the correct gear to start) try starting on a hill in 39x14 (thats what I am using ATM - probably too few GI...) and you will agree - the first revolution isn't always with both feet clipped in but it requires quite a bit of effort to keep momentum going so you can clip in. Face it - mountain pedals are better suited for this. It wouldn't matter for a better rider as alot of fixed gear cyclists just trackstand and thus don't have the same issues.

There has been one answer to sooooo many questions on this forum which I've not brought up for fear of being labled elitest (again), but as long as you've stumbled onto it, here goes...

Become a better rider.

Dekonick
11-26-2005, 11:14 AM
working on it...

far from perfect but always trying to improve.

vandeda
11-26-2005, 12:51 PM

Len

Maybe not a problem for most ... but this doesn't really work very well if you have pannier bags with stuff in them ... makes getting the back of the bike off the ground fairly difficult. This then either requires just lifting the bike by the back of the seat if I absolutely need the pedal horizontal, or just rolling forwards if I don't need a lot of power off the bat.

No weight out back, however, and that technique works quite well

Dan