PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Campagnolo Eurus nipple clicking

yashcha
04-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Recently my year old Eurus wheelset has started making clicking/popping noises when I am out of the saddle while climbing.

The noise comes from the nipples shifting in the rim as pressure is applied. Anything I can do to make this noise stop? I have put some oil in there, but no improvement. I hate hearing popping noises as I climb, it makes me feel even slower than I already am, as the noise hurts my soul.

TopQuark
04-14-2013, 02:56 AM
I have the Zonda and had the same problem.

First, release the air pressure. Push the nipple inside the tube while putting air. Then pull it all the way out as you go up the correct air pressure. Make sure to use nipple with screw to tighten. Ride the bike for a mile, then tighten the screws again.

titans
04-14-2013, 05:17 AM
I had same out of the saddle noise on my Shamals. I would check for very faint hairline cracks. They look whitish around eyelit and and are barely visible. Or if you bought them from shop have them look at it. I got mine rebuilt under warranty. Only 5600 miles on them. Good luck.

cdn_bacon
04-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Nipple clickers... whodathunk.

sorry. It's early.

yashcha
04-14-2013, 06:54 AM
I have been hesitating to post since the title sounds so absurd.

Luckily no hairline cracks.

I did discover last night that I can create the clicking noise by pushing the spokes with enough force to shift the nipple inside the rim.

Nipple clickers... whodathunk.

sorry. It's early.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 07:42 AM
I have been hesitating to post since the title sounds so absurd.

Luckily no hairline cracks.

I did discover last night that I can create the clicking noise by pushing the spokes with enough force to shift the nipple inside the rim.

'Nipples' like the things that hold the spokes into the rim or the valve stem?

yashcha
04-14-2013, 07:58 AM
'Nipples' like the things that hold the spokes into the rim or the valve stem?

Yes, nipples that thread on to the end of spokes. I have already wrapped the valve stem with tape so that no longer vibrates.

Black Dog
04-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Nipple clicking...I had this problem once. :eek: I no longer put my keys in a jar at parties and I have not had this happen to me since.:cool:

Seriously,

Same issue with my Zonda's. Be glad that you are producing enough power to make them click. I do not think that there is a solution other than loosening each nipple one at a time and getting some grease on the rim nipple interface. If you are not a good wheel builder with a stand then this may be tricky.

plugkev
04-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Sometimes the click is from where the spokes cross if they have dried out. Oil at crosspoints works.

I assume you have ruled this out.

Good luck.

yashcha
04-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Oh well, maybe the super smooth bearings make up for the clickyness.