PDA

View Full Version : Chainstay clearance ... how much do I need?

henrypretz
04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
I am the fresh prince of simpleton questions here on the Paceline. It's just that I'm a somewhat new cyclist who appreciates the knowledge and the willingness to share it in a civil manner that I have found here. That said ....

I mounted a new tire on the rear of my CIII. Had been running a 700x25 and replaced with 700x27. I can fit a 2mm hex wrench, but not a 2.5mm, in between the chainstay and the widest part of sidewall. Running 32 spoke DT 1.1 rims, if it makes a difference to know.
Is this enough clearance? I rode this morning flat and easy with no issues. Am I going to run into enough flex when climbing (or "cough" sprinting:rolleyes:) to cause problems?

Thanks
Henry

Peter B
04-13-2013, 02:14 PM
It'll be fine unless you break a spoke or wheel goes much out of true.

carpediemracing
04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
That sounds a bit tight. My frame has some paint rubbed off due to slightly out of true wheels. Personally if a wheel is out of true by 2 mm I'm not touching it - 4 or 5 mm is about my threshold.

To check you can push down on the pedal with the front brake on. You may see the wheel flex a bit relative to the frame. Stiff rims flex up at the brakes, flexible rims don't flex much at all up top (they flex below the hub).

false_Aest
04-13-2013, 07:44 PM
sounds like this is a perfect time to cough sprint and see.

ultraman6970
04-13-2013, 08:24 PM
If you want to put tires that wide isn't better just get a frame that was built for that???

You don't want to have problems with lose spokes in the middle of nowhere, even a flat would make the tire to scratch the stays big time.

Good luck.