PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for dura ace Di2

rbtmcardle
04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Well, I ordered a new Dura Ace electronic group from my lbs today. It'll be my first shimano group in 25 years. I figured its time to give something different a try and though I am a campy guy I am not full of confidence in EPS.

So what wheels / hubs are recommended.

Tubular only. I am leaning carbon as the group is going on my meivici.

I weigh 175-180 and generally ride hilly rollers but not mountains per se.

jpw
04-13-2013, 01:43 PM
not sure about the wheels, but I'm interested in why you have a lack of confidence in EPS.

reggiebaseball
04-13-2013, 01:51 PM
which Di2?
I know 9070 is 11 speed, and 7970 is 10 speed, and that impacts hub choice.

Keith A
04-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Why not go with some Dura-Ace wheels? They have some new carbon tubular offerings and here's a recent review...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/news/first-ride-shimanos-dura-ace-aero-wheels_278620

I've been riding their 7850-SL (low profile aluminum tubeless) wheels for a while and they are a finely crafted set of wheels.

dd74
04-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Carbonsports and be done with it. Of course, if you'd gone with EPS, you could get Bora Ultra 2s.

I'm also curious as to why you have no confidence in EPS.

TimD
04-13-2013, 04:14 PM
The most expensive ones you can find, obviously! :)

rbtmcardle
04-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Not a strong confidence in EPS only based on two friends experience with it. One had a bad shifter in the first month and the other just struggled with a constant disappointment in the shifting. Certainly not catastrophic problems but not confidence inspiring. That coupled with my real life experience with Italian machine equipment and many small problems due to poor engineering or more likely a refusal to look outside themselves for ideas/technology. I love Italy and the culture and have traveled there extensively for business but in my experience they aren't the quickest to resolve issues.

I still think Campy design is incredibly well done on the mechanical side and would choose record 11 mechanical over DA mech. But the option of multiple shift buttons, programmability and the fact it's second generation swayed my decision i over to shimano.

Though I am buying an unnecessary new group, and this is clearly a first world problem, if I am going to invest 4k, I want to be absolutely certain to get what gives me (atmo) the best chance of success with no problems.

I am getting the new group 9070. With 52-36 crank, haven't used this chainring ratio before but it seems like a good idea.

Please forgive me for typos and choppy writing, it's difficult to write clearly on a phone.

Keith A
04-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Shimano 7900 C50 or C35 tubulars on sale for $1500 at
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/shimano-wh-7900-c50-tu-dura-ace-tubular-wheelset
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/shimano-wh-7900-c35-tu-dura-ace-tubular-wheelset

RedRider
04-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Shimano 7900 C50 or C35 tubulars on sale for $1500 at
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/shimano-wh-7900-c50-tu-dura-ace-tubular-wheelset
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/shimano-wh-7900-c35-tu-dura-ace-tubular-wheelset

The 7900 have a 10sp hub are not compatible with the latest Dura Ace DI2, 11speed.

Keith A
04-14-2013, 05:53 AM
The 7900 have a 10sp hub are not compatible with the latest Dura Ace DI2, 11speed.Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that and will be curious if Shimano revises this like they did with the 10-speed. Their first 10-speed hubs weren't backwards compatible either, but then they changed this with the later versions on their hubs...however, it sounds like this is a little different.

hockeybike
04-14-2013, 06:07 AM
For some reason I remember reading that dura ace 9070 and campy 11s cassettes would be cross compatible. If so, stick with any campy wheelset.

Link: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/12/interchange-shimano-campy-11-speed-cassettes-save-your-wheels/

buddybikes
04-14-2013, 07:03 AM
ENVE 3.4's... prowheelbuilder seems to have be the best prices.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Well, I ordered a new Dura Ace electronic group from my lbs today. It'll be my first shimano group in 25 years. I figured its time to give something different a try and though I am a campy guy I am not full of confidence in EPS.

So what wheels / hubs are recommended.

Tubular only. I am leaning carbon as the group is going on my meivici.

I weigh 175-180 and generally ride hilly rollers but not mountains per se.

Does that LBS have a decent wheelbuilder? DT rims and Reynolds or Enve rims would be nice.

But why the issue with EPS? Bike shop info?

In addition, all Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels can have a shimano 11s compatible FH body slapped on it and it has been mentioned that 11s Campagnolo and DA 11s are 'essentially' the same spacing.

Shifting problems with EPS? I suspect setup or some mechanical issue, like der hanger but whatever.

Seen DA/Ultegra and EPS and the 'hunt for proper lever' is a show stopper for me, if I had electronic on my bike, which I won't. Plus the hunt for proper wiring..too many connectors for my taste.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 07:34 AM
which Di2?
I know 9070 is 11 speed, and 7970 is 10 speed, and that impacts hub choice.

Most hubs now come with the 11s 'option', so he should get that regardless so that when shimano and sram is all 11s, he won't be left out.

rbtmcardle
04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Does that LBS have a decent wheelbuilder? DT rims and Reynolds or Enve rims would be nice.

But why the issue with EPS? Bike shop info?

In addition, all Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels can have a shimano 11s compatible FH body slapped on it and it has been mentioned that 11s Campagnolo and DA 11s are 'essentially' the same spacing.

Shifting problems with EPS? I suspect setup or some mechanical issue, like der hanger but whatever.

Seen DA/Ultegra and EPS and the 'hunt for proper lever' is a show stopper for me, if I had electronic on my bike, which I won't. Plus the hunt for proper wiring..too many connectors for my taste.

I am sure the one friend is a setup issue.

I may regret going shimano/di2 but its time to give it a try, I can always sell it and go back to mech record.

I wouldn't trust them to build up a set of high end wheels.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I am sure the one friend is a setup issue.

I may regret going shimano/di2 but its time to give it a try, I can always sell it and go back to mech record.

Too bad..

All the Electronic groups are pretty whizbang. Easy to set up, but gotta do it right. shimano has a whole list of cable lengths and so many options, inside/outside/different battery locations, junction boxes/ 2 of them..just complicated but I'm talking about installing it, not riding it.

The thing that takes the logest, BY FAR, is stringing the wires inside. For a titanium frame, not that bad. For a steel frame, using the Campagnolo magnet, ain't gonna work at all. Gotta just stick and fish. Hope the holes are big enough. For some carbon, with all sorts of crappola in the tubes from manufacture, same deal..

Make sure you get a battery charger and proper cord..that isn't included in the groups from most distributors. Built a Boradman for Dave Scott's kid..with Ultegra Di2. Even tho it came from Asia, it has a UK cord for the charger..ooops! Also the internal wires didn't have 'anti rattle' zip ties so they rattled around, a LOT.

I think the other thing that is kinda frosting me is that ultegra is going to be 11s in the next iteration..both mechnical and electronic. I 'hear' that 10s Ultegra Di2 is programmable to 11s BUT the local shimano rep says not so fast in that the current interface at the handlebars doesn't have a USB hole for Ultegra so there may have to be another interface to do that.

EPS, 4 less connectors, hard wired to the powerpack, already multiple shifts, 2 buttons..already 11s..just more simple to this dum-ass wrench.

reggiebaseball
04-14-2013, 10:43 AM

fact: You don't trust your shop to build wheels
fact: they have already botched one and maybe two EPS installs

your thought: these would be awesome guys to
order and install my new electronic group

my thought: ***? How about finding a new shop that doesn't suck.

reggiebaseball
04-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Too bad..

I think the other thing that is kinda frosting me is that ultegra is going to be 11s in the next iteration..both mechnical and electronic. I 'hear' that 10s Ultegra Di2 is programmable to 11s BUT the local shimano rep says not so fast in that the current interface at the handlebars doesn't have a USB hole for Ultegra so there may have to be another interface to do that.

my 18 month old, $4k "only 10 speed" 7970 Di2 rig is now so obsolete it is hard to find parts for it. Who knows what shops will have the proper diagnostic computers for it by next season (or now even).

Welcome to the digital world- planned obsolescence at a mind-numbing pace, so keep your day job.

I'm going home on my manual drivetrain bike to listen to a tube amp and drink my french press.

rbtmcardle
04-14-2013, 11:26 AM
fact: You don't trust your shop to build wheels
fact: they have already botched one and maybe two EPS installs

your thought: these would be awesome guys to
order and install my new electronic group

my thought: ***? How about finding a new shop that doesn't suck.

You make a few incorrect assumptions. Friends are outside of my local area and different shop.

There are no other local shops available to me. This lbs is essentially shimano only though they have installed several campy groups beautifully.

It's one thing to install a group and perform maintenance. It's another thing to build a high end wheel set. Maybe I am just narrow minded

jpw
04-14-2013, 11:43 AM
my 18 month old, $4k "only 10 speed" 7970 Di2 rig is now so obsolete it is hard to find parts for it. Who knows what shops will have the proper diagnostic computers for it by next season (or now even).

Welcome to the digital world- planned obsolescence at a mind-numbing pace, so keep your day job.

I'm going home on my manual drivetrain bike to listen to a tube amp and drink my french press.

vaporware?

reggiebaseball
04-14-2013, 12:12 PM
You make a few incorrect assumptions. Friends are outside of my local area and different shop.

There are no other local shops available to me. This lbs is essentially shimano only though they have installed several campy groups beautifully.

It's one thing to install a group and perform maintenance. It's another thing to build a high end wheel set. Maybe I am just narrow minded

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the only shop you had access to, where I am there are dozens of options

Given those constraints, you want Shimano factory wheels. They are durable and strong (they tend to be a bit overweight compared to others, but it results in durable wheels), your shop will know how to order them and can swap them out if you have a problem.

I dont think you want to order handbuilts from elsewhere and have a shop maintain them, if you do not trust them to build them too.

If, as others say, you can use Campy 11 wheels I would get a set of Bora Ones. This way you can use them on your campy bikes (if they are 11), or if you return to campy. The Bora one meets your desires, is lighter than the Shimano equivalents, and can be purchase for a fraction of the cost. New Bora ones are $1400-1750 a set, deepending on who you want to buy from.
I know your shop does not do a lot of Campy, but I think any repairs on Boras are pretty straightforward, and they are very robust anyway.

torquer
04-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that and will be curious if Shimano revises this like they did with the 10-speed. Their first 10-speed hubs weren't backwards compatible either, but then they changed this with the later versions on their hubs...however, it sounds like this is a little different.
The early 7800 hub compatibility issue had to do with the unique depth of the splines on the freehub/cassette interface. Early hubs used aluminum to save weight, and required a deeper "shoulder" which would only accomodate 7800 cassettes (or maybe it was the cassettes with a deeper shoulder).
The 11-speed freehub is wider than the 10-speed, so it won't be as simple a revision. (There may be a need to recenter the rim as well.) That's likely the reason the 7900 wheels were being blown out at what is still a tempting price for those of us still on 10 (and 9!) speed bikes.
The factory DA wheels (even at full price) are da bomb, though, so if your pockets are sufficiently deep for Di2, why not go with the 9000 carbon tubulars to match?

Keith A
04-15-2013, 01:09 PM
torquer -- Thanks for the info.

slidey
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
DA 9000 C24/35/50 clincher/tubular wheelset, based on your preferences. I've only got a pair of DA 7801 wheels, and have briefly ridden on some 7900 C24s and I love/loved them dearly...quintessential zero issue, high performance wheelset (for my requirements).