PDA

View Full Version : OT: Poking Giants?

William
04-12-2013, 07:15 AM
It seems that this small niche business start up is rattling the big guns. Is he infringing or has he just found a new way to offer a service? Will they stream the Tour this year?;)

Startup CEO Wields Small Antenna In TV Streaming Battle
by DAN BOBKOFF
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/12/176979130/startup-ceo-wields-small-antenna-in-tv-streaming-battle

A top executive at News Corp. dropped a bombshell this week when he said the company is considering taking Fox's over-the-air network to cable. The announcement follows a court win for a startup company that streams broadcast channels online.

That startup's CEO, arguably the most feared man in television right now, is soft-spoken and rather techy....

An interesting comment...
It is not Congress's job to protect the "dual stream" business model that the broadcasters have come to rely on.

To do so is the essence of special interest legislation.

Their pain is the normal evolution of living in a time when the communications technologies, as well as our viewing habits, are evolving faster than the communications giant's business plans.

By it's very nature, this is a disruptive technology, just like TV broadcast was in the 50s, cable in the seventies, PC's in the eighties, the Internet in the nineties and smartphones and tablets are today. Finding imaginative ways to give consumers what they want, is the essence of any winning evolving business plan. Allowing new inventors and business to challenge the established and in this case entrenched giants, serves consumer and general interests and should be encouraged.

It is entirely natural that dominant communications giants, both broadcast and cable are afraid of this, or any other technological advance that would diminish the amount of that consumer dollar that they are able to attract in a Free market. That is exactly why they spend millions on lobbying congress to make sure that it is anything but a free market environment.

It is also why we should expect that if Aereo prevails in court, you can expect legislation to protect the business model of the existing broadcasters and cable providers.

It is simply what happens when you achieve the best Government that money can buy.

William

staggerwing
04-12-2013, 07:33 AM
That last line is a painful truth which could use a little more attention.

dustyrider
04-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Keep poking them "giants" they'll adapt (small hope) or keep whining just like they have been for decades. I believe the VHS and tapedecks heard similar musings from the grumpy beasts. When they finally pull their heads out of the sand I’m hoping they realize there are plenty of people willing to part with their money for what they want, not what we’re told we have to have. Bring on the a la carte; I’ve got me some legal Game of Thrones to watch!

FlashUNC
04-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Fox doesn't have a leg to stand on IMO. Those are public airwaves they're using.

Richard
04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
They may not have a leg to stand on, but I'm betting that the "law"maker who got the biggest donation from Murdoch will soon introduce legislation to build that leg.

christian
04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
The TV channels have every right to pull their airborne broadcasts if they want to. I bet we can find some other use for that spectrum!

majorpat
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
If you don't poke the giants you'll never become one yourself

texbike
04-12-2013, 09:34 AM
If you don't poke the giants you'll never become one yourself

I like this a lot!

Texbike