PDA

View Full Version : A Tradition Unlike Any Other (Golf Content)

firerescuefin
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I love the Masters...for those stuck at work today....minimized and volume low:)

http://www.masters.com/en_US/live/index.html?videoChannel=ac&ref=lb&ts=1365693360024

tele
04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
I would love to walk that course to get a true feeling for the elevation changes, especially on the greens! I've heard TV does not do it justice.

krhea
04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhh, quiet please...

azrider
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Fire i feel like we could hang. Been on that site long before you sent it. Good stuff.

FlashUNC
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
The Masters is what it is.

Its Jim Nantz I can't stand.

firerescuefin
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhh, quiet please...

:)

@ AZ...we certainly could...Let me know if you're ever out this way. Great places to ride and play....and I always need cold weather escapes/ training camp locations in the winter :cool:

Cat3roadracer
04-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I absolutely love the final round this Sunday.

rugbysecondrow
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I love the Masters...for those stuck at work today....minimized and volume low:)

http://www.masters.com/en_US/live/index.html?videoChannel=ac&ref=lb&ts=1365693360024

I don't want to alarm anybody, but that is just a link to people golfing?

holliscx
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
looking for a feed that's not blocked in Euroland

full disclosure: I'm a back nine Sunday viewer but it's riveting

blilrat
04-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I would love to walk that course to get a true feeling for the elevation changes, especially on the greens! I've heard TV does not do it justice.

I went to the practice round on tuesday and yes, tv does not do it justice. Barely a blemish on the entire course and there wasn't a fairway that didn't put any green I've putted on to shame. Best part of going on practice day - you get to take pictures.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8640735969_a9d642bde8_c.jpg

thirdgenbird
04-11-2013, 07:01 PM
I was hoping for something like a mk1 VW...

Rada
04-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Rain this morning.

tele
04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I went to the practice round on tuesday and yes, tv does not do it justice. Barely a blemish on the entire course and there wasn't a fairway that didn't put any green I've putted on to shame. Best part of going on practice day - you get to take pictures.

A buddy called me last night and said he was just leaving the course...no pics or anything, all cell phones/bags etc... are not allowed during the tourney. He had to go through metal detectors to get inside the ropes. He described the place as the golf equivalent of Disney: everything was immaculate and well run.

Lanterne Rouge
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM

I was trying to get tickets but they were $1,000 a pop.

PQJ
04-12-2013, 12:37 PM
A buddy called me last night and said he was just leaving the course...no pics or anything, all cell phones/bags etc... are not allowed during the tourney. He had to go through metal detectors to get inside the ropes. He described the place as the golf equivalent of Disney: everything was immaculate and well run.

He's right that it's immaculate and well run but the Disney comparison is blasphemous. To a golfer, ANGC is the holiest of holies. There really is nothing like it.

MattTuck
04-12-2013, 12:47 PM
It looks warm and nice there... it is 32 degrees and ice pellets here :(

I'd rather be biking in that weather than playing golf :banana:

blilrat
04-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Truly better than Disney. Unbelievable service and perfectly maintained. The only time I received a stern look from an employee was when I tried to get three beers.

It looks warm and nice there... it is 32 degrees and ice pellets here :(

I'd rather be biking in that weather than playing golf :banana:

It was gorgeous - I biked the foothills of the Appalachians on saturday and sunday and then hit Augusta on tuesday.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8643819164_bf0226b3d7_z.jpg

jr59
04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Are the pimanto cheese sandwiches still .50 ?

blilrat
04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
$1.50 but I liked the egg salad sandwiches better and beer was only $3. I think I spent less than $20 for breakfast, lunch and snacks.

bironi
04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
I can see why Freddy is one of the most popular players. I enjoyed the interview. I usually only watch golf for napping purposes. There is something very relaxing about the deep green background and a little white ball.

Here is a different take. Watch till the end for the best.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/bold-predictions-for-the-masters-tournament---post-sports-live/2013/04/09/43cc9722-a11a-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_video.html

firerescuefin
04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I can see why Freddy is one of the most popular players. I enjoyed the interview. I usually only watch golf for napping purposes. There is something very relaxing about the deep green background and a little white ball.

Here is a different take. Watch till the end for the best.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports

Freddy has been a favorite since I was in high school. I used to rock Ashworth shirts because I wanted to look like "Fred". He's a class act and still has a swing that is just "budda"

bironi
04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Fire,
I changed the link in the original post. You may not like what you see.

Scuzzer
04-12-2013, 06:33 PM
I usually only watch golf for napping purposes.

Me too. I love watching all 18 holes of Masters Sunday while napping heavily but this year I'll be out on the bike since I've got crap to do Sun morning.

Louis
04-12-2013, 06:54 PM
IMO golf is the perfect example of how competition can make a fundamentally pointless activity re-branded as a "sport" compelling to watch, whether in person or on TV.

jlwdm
04-12-2013, 09:11 PM

Jeff

PQJ
04-13-2013, 06:49 AM
IMO golf is the perfect example of how competition can make a fundamentally pointless activity re-branded as a "sport" compelling to watch, whether in person or on TV.

IMO this is fundamentally idiotic.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2013, 08:06 AM
He's right that it's immaculate and well run but the Disney comparison is blasphemous. To a golfer, ANGC is the holiest of holies. There really is nothing like it.

And they even have 2 women members..my, my.... 80 years unfettered by progress!!

BTW-A 'sport' is something that you can get seriously injured or killed in..all others are a 'game'.

blilrat
04-13-2013, 08:52 AM

BTW-A 'sport' is something that you can get seriously injured or killed in..all others are a 'game'.

Golf as a sport could never be defended on a cycling forum any more than cycling could be on a golf forum, but a 'sport' is broadly defined as a competition involving skill. I enjoy participating in both activities because I get to be outdoors and usually in the company of others, but rarely watch either on tv because it allows me to do neither of those things.

jr59
04-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Ok you guys that play and understand the rules of golf;

Tiger Woods improperly dropped his ball on the 15th hole, and played it with the 1 shot pentaly. Should have been a 2 shot.
He finished the round and signed an incorrect score card.
Those are the facts! Not in dispute anywhere.

How is this not a DQ. He signed a scorecard that was not correct? That is automatic DQ! Somebody needs to explain this to me.

Personally I think the Masters is being a whore to the TV networks. Tiger equals ratings. Ratings equal to none. He moves the meter!

Yet by the rules of golf he should not be allowed to play! Whats up with that!

This has nothing to do with T. Woods and his life decisions. It's about the rules of golf!

bironi
04-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Read this for your answer.

http://golf.about.com/b/2013/04/13/tiger-woods-given-2-stroke-penalty-but-avoids-disqualification-from-the-masters.htm

jr59
04-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Read this for your answer.

http://golf.about.com/b/2013/04/13/tiger-woods-given-2-stroke-penalty-but-avoids-disqualification-from-the-masters.htm

That rule ONLY applies to HD TV! This has nothing to do with that. Tiger my his own admission improperly dropped his ball to put it back in play!

Then signed an incorrect scorecard. TV had no part in it!

The Masters just wanted him on the course for TV! it's an invitational, so they can apply the rules how they see fit. But it does not conform to the rules of golf clearly outlined in the rules and decisions of golf.

vav
04-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Personally I think the Masters is being a whore to the TV networks. Tiger equals ratings. Ratings equal to none. He moves the meter!

This is your answer. Right on your question. If they drop TW, half the people watching go onto watching other boring things like cycling ;)

firerescuefin
04-13-2013, 11:31 AM
This is your answer. Right on your question. If they drop TW, half the people watching go onto watching other boring things like cycling ;)

R&A, USGA, and the Masters committee don't worship or bow down to TW...all are far to arrogant. If you think that, you're way off.

jr59
04-13-2013, 11:39 AM
R&A, USGA, and the Masters committee don't worship or bow down to TW...all are far to arrogant. If you think that, you're way off.

I know what the Matsers said;
What I want to know is how, within the rules and decessions of golf are they making this ruling? By his own admission he broke the rule and did not not sign a correct scorecard. TV had nothing to do with this. TW press confrence did. Simply put Tiger created a distance that would allow him to wind up under the hole. This is NOT allowed in the rules and decissions of golf.
Maybe you can explain this! I doubt it.

So how and why are they doing this? I will agree that the USGA and the Masters won't bow down to TW, but they are doing it for TV ratings and I for one am very disappointed!

Oh and BTW; The USGA and the R&A have NO say in this at all. It's an invititional!

firerescuefin
04-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I know what the Matsers said;
What I want to know is how, within the rules and decessions of golf are they making this ruling? By his own admission he broke the rule and did not not sign a correct scorecard. TV had nothing to do with this. TW press confrence did. Simply put Tiger created a distance that would allow him to wind up under the hole. This is NOT allowed in the rules and decissions of golf.
Maybe you can explain this! I doubt it.

So how and why are they doing this? I will agree that the USGA and the Masters won't bow down to TW, but they are doing it for TV ratings and I for one am very disappointed!

Oh and BTW; The USGA and the R&A have NO say in this at all. It's an invititional!

This is wrong...they are playing under rules agreed to by the R&A and the USGA. The Masters committee may be the most arrogant group of men on the planet. Do you remember the NOW demonstration in the early 2000s about women membership, and the Master's committee went commercial free for 2-3 years because no one...sponsors or otherwise were going to tell them how to run their tournament. They could give a rats @ss if anyone turns their TV on this weekend for any reason. Trust me on this one....and I love the tournament...and am the last one to apologize for Woods, Networks, or for the Masters Committee.

Louis
04-13-2013, 02:22 PM
IMO this is fundamentally idiotic.

In which case, I'm sorry you don't enjoy golf. If you don't like it you don't have to watch or play it.

Louis
04-13-2013, 02:32 PM

I believe the traditional definition of a sport is something that involves both physical exertion and skill. Golf clearly requires skill, but perhaps not as much exertion, especially if you're using a cart or not carrying your clubs for 18 holes.

firerescuefin
04-13-2013, 02:53 PM
In which case, I'm sorry you don't enjoy golf. If you don't like it you don't have to watch or play it.

I think he was referring to your comment...not the game. For these guys...fitness matters, both in power generation...consistency...and endurance..no they're not NBA athletes, but their athleticism would surprise you. The 20 somethings coming up now are paying a lot more attention to fitness and diet than their predecessors.

Louis
04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
I think he was referring to your comment...not the game.

I agree.

I made a comment that I thought golf was compelling and PQJ said that s/he thought it was an idiotic statement. I therefore concluded that s/he disagreed with that comment, and therefore must not like golf. (Either that, or s/he didn't understand what I was saying.)

PQJ
04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
I agree.

I made a comment that I thought golf was compelling and PQJ said that s/he thought it was an idiotic statement. I therefore concluded that s/he disagreed with that comment, and therefore must not like golf. (Either that, or s/he didn't understand what I was saying.)

Your comment that golf is 'a fundamentally pointless activity re-branded as a "sport"' is what I was referring to as idiotic.

Enjoy round 4. It's gonna be fun.

rugbysecondrow
04-14-2013, 08:07 AM
I agree.

You were pot stirring Louis, fishing for an argument. No need to be coy about it.

1/2 Wheeler
04-14-2013, 08:46 AM
......but their athleticism would surprise you. The 20 somethings coming up now are paying a lot more attention to fitness and diet than their predecessors.

And with that attention and the attention that Tiger has already given to it, comes the use of PEDs.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 09:00 AM
I think he was referring to your comment...not the game. For these guys...fitness matters, both in power generation...consistency...and endurance..no they're not NBA athletes, but their athleticism would surprise you. The 20 somethings coming up now are paying a lot more attention to fitness and diet than their predecessors.

http://www.holytaco.com/8-greatest-john-daly-moments

carlucci1106
04-14-2013, 09:14 AM
:banana:...Awesome, made my morning

Louis
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Your comment that golf is 'a fundamentally pointless activity re-branded as a "sport"' is what I was referring to as idiotic.

If the fact that golf is a pointless activity isn't plain as the light of day, then I can't help help you there. (That doesn't mean it can't be fun, or a competitive sport, which I readily acknowledge.)

Louis
04-14-2013, 01:47 PM
You were pot stirring Louis, fishing for an argument. No need to be coy about it.

I disagree 100%.

I was making the point that with a bit of competition even a fundamentally simple sport can become compelling to watch. It was more a reflection on the nature of competition, than a discussion of golf.

Unfortunately, some folks are a bit defensive about golf, so they fixated on the "pointless" part of comment, rather than the discussion of competition (which, is why IMO the whole thing is relevant to a bike forum where we discuss racing).

e-RICHIE
04-14-2013, 01:57 PM
I was making the point that with a bit of competition even a fundamentally simple sport can become compelling to watch. It was more a reflection on the nature of competition, than a discussion of golf.

Even a discussion can evolve into a varsity sport.
Some folks just have to win.
And PS I am agreeing with you.

ctcyclistbob
04-14-2013, 02:23 PM
And with that attention and the attention that Tiger has already given to it, comes the use of PEDs.

PED usage may have already arrived. Some suspect Tiger himself.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 02:29 PM
If the fact that golf is a pointless activity isn't plain as the light of day, then I can't help help you there. (That doesn't mean it can't be fun, or a competitive sport, which I readily acknowledge.)

Throw a ball at somebody, have him hit it with a stick and then run around in a big 'circle'..MOST sports are pointless activities aren't they? Most entertainment is essentially only there for entertainment so in the grand scheme of things is pretty pointless...except for entertainment.

I find it interesting that at least with golf, you could have a tournament by doing the golf thing, alone. Since your score has nothing really to do with others. You are playing the course, not the other players.

I watch it, think it's interesting..particularly Tiger, and just watching Langer, who is like 60 years old or something..in the top. Last won in 1985.

BTW-I am a big baseball fan...Rockies suck, I'm from Cleveland, they blow also but have Francona and Nick Swisher, who is great to watch..Like Hunter Pence, basic man, baseball player.

rugbysecondrow
04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
I disagree 100%.

Unfortunately, some folks are a bit defensive about golf, so they fixated on the "pointless" part of comment, rather than the discussion of competition (which, is why IMO the whole thing is relevant to a bike forum where we discuss racing).

Isn't that true with all sports though? Without competition, pedaling is boring to watch, throwing a football, hitting a baseball.

Maybe I read you statement wrong, but it seemed like an insult masquerading as insight.

Louis
04-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Isn't that true with all sports though? Without competition, pedaling is boring to watch, throwing a football, hitting a baseball.

Absolutely true, but some sports are worse than others. Basketball is also "putting a ball in a hole" but IMO it's a more of a sport than golf.

akelman
04-14-2013, 05:33 PM
This (http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/14/tiger-woods-drop/?eref=sihp) is pretty interesting.

Louis
04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
This (http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/14/tiger-woods-drop/?eref=sihp) is pretty interesting.

For a second I thought that maybe that was going to be a link to naked golf. (http://www.golf.com/photos/live-naked-golfers/suzann-pettersen-espn-body-issue)

bikerboy337
04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
That was an amazing last hour of golf! So fun to watch. Really like Cabrera, just had that smile...

PQJ
04-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Maybe I read you statement wrong, but it seemed like an insult masquerading as insight.

My sentiments exactly. Well put atmo.

firerescuefin
04-15-2013, 08:51 AM
That was an amazing last hour of golf! So fun to watch. Really like Cabrera, just had that smile...

I really like both players. Cabrera is a old school hustler...and I mean that as a huge compliment...Was watching with friends and I told them when he was in the fairway on 18 that he puts this within 10 feet. He is never afraid of the moment. That (the end of the tournament) was as good as it gets.

Ken Robb
04-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Yep, the winner really WON it--there was no loser in that playoff.

azrider
04-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Tradition continues.......

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15152902

ptourkin
04-07-2016, 10:27 AM
The Masters is what it is.

Its Jim Nantz I can't stand.

Finally some Flash hate I can agree with. In general, CBS's submission to the Augusta overlords in never discussing the awful history of this organization makes me ill. Always saying "Mr." Jones sounds like "master" to me. Nantz is the most guilty.

ripvanrando
04-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Tradition continues.......

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15152902

Thanks for the reminder. I love The Masters. I'm not much of a cyclist but golf is a game I can play.

ripvanrando
04-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Finally some Flash hate I can agree with. In general, CBS's submission to the Augusta overlords in never discussing the awful history of this organization makes me ill. Always saying "Mr." Jones sounds like "master" to me. Nantz is the most guilty.

What?

The Masters donates millions of dollars to charity each year.

ptourkin
04-07-2016, 10:48 AM
What?

The Masters donates millions of dollars to charity each year.

As OP said, they have what, 2 female members now and their racial history is disgusting. It's well past the point where we give the South a pass because of "tradition." Yes, people can change and slowly have, but the broadcast agreement prevents CBS from even mentioning the controversies - for instance when there were women picketing at the gate. Speaking so fawningly fondly of Roberts and Jones despite their refusal to do the right thing makes Nantz a pawn although I'm guessing that because it followed "tradition" Nantz doesn't have a huge problem with it.

This sums it up pretty well: http://www.salon.com/2013/04/11/the_masters_presents_a_phony_sanitized_south/

" Cliff Roberts (who didn’t hesitate to unburden himself on the subject of integration. “It means mixed marriages,” he said. “The mixed are the worst … the most worthless of all in every respect”), Augusta National members and staff expressed immense affection for the man, a gentleman through and through. Yet this conceit of the gentleman has always been problematic. Well-to-do white Southerners have understandably been especially enamored of a concept that could transform moral failings into transcendent virtues. In the world of sports, the “amateur ideal” signified the gentleman’s innate social superiority. What the gentleman amateur forsakes in prize money, he more than makes up for in prestige, validating his advantages over others without bringing undue attention to the far-reaching social consequences of that malignant power."

ripvanrando
04-07-2016, 11:08 AM
it is a private club. Freedom of association.

Lots of womens only social clubs out there.

Michelle Obama belongs to a secret Princeton society that only lets certain types in.

All are protected under the 1st amendment.

What disgusts me are those who think a women should have been put to the head of the waiting list. I seem to recall the Chairmen alluding to admittance in due time or on their schedule. Would it have been fair to let Condoleezza Rice in ahead of those who may have waited many years. A membership only becomes available if someone resigns (almost never happens) or if they die; thus, there might be one or two or no openings in any given year. I personally applaud the decision to let women into clubs but not when it means putting them to the head of the waiting list.

As OP said, they have what, 2 female members now and their racial history is disgusting. It's well past the point where we give the South a pass because of "tradition." Yes, people can change and slowly have, but the broadcast agreement prevents CBS from even mentioning the controversies - for instance when there were women picketing at the gate. Speaking so fawningly fondly of Roberts and Jones despite their refusal to do the right thing makes Nantz a pawn although I'm guessing that because it followed "tradition" Nantz doesn't have a huge problem with it.

This sums it up pretty well: http://www.salon.com/2013/04/11/the_masters_presents_a_phony_sanitized_south/

" Cliff Roberts (who didn’t hesitate to unburden himself on the subject of integration. “It means mixed marriages,” he said. “The mixed are the worst … the most worthless of all in every respect”), Augusta National members and staff expressed immense affection for the man, a gentleman through and through. Yet this conceit of the gentleman has always been problematic. Well-to-do white Southerners have understandably been especially enamored of a concept that could transform moral failings into transcendent virtues. In the world of sports, the “amateur ideal” signified the gentleman’s innate social superiority. What the gentleman amateur forsakes in prize money, he more than makes up for in prestige, validating his advantages over others without bringing undue attention to the far-reaching social consequences of that malignant power."

bking
04-07-2016, 11:25 AM
I went once, about 8 or 9 years ago. Amazing place. Not a blade of grass out of place, not one. Tradition and decorum can be felt like no event or place I've ever been. The guy that hosted us told us to set our stuff down on our chair behind the 7th green, and leave it there and walk around. No way, chair, $1,500 pair of Leicas, etc. He said don't worry, no one will touch it. No one did.
Even if you're not big into golf, go if you ever have the chance.

And membership, it has nothing to do with who you are, how much money you have, or how famous you are. Lot's of other places to go if you check one of these boxes.

jmoore
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM

I love golf. It's been so long since I played I don't even know what clubs or balls anyone is playing anymore. My stuff is at least 12-15 years old. It was good stuff back then, but it's probably pretty dated now, esp the balls

fiamme red
04-07-2016, 11:51 AM
I went once, about 8 or 9 years ago. Amazing place. Not a blade of grass out of place, not one. Tradition and decorum can be felt like no event or place I've ever been. The guy that hosted us told us to set our stuff down on our chair behind the 7th green, and leave it there and walk around. No way, chair, $1,500 pair of Leicas, etc. He said don't worry, no one will touch it. No one did.
Even if you're not big into golf, go if you ever have the chance.

And membership, it has nothing to do with who you are, how much money you have, or how famous you are. Lot's of other places to go if you check one of these boxes.I doubt that Augusta National would allow Peter Sagan and Vittorio Brumotti on the links. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbCfVmlVho

ptourkin
04-07-2016, 05:27 PM
it is a private club. Freedom of association.

Lots of womens only social clubs out there.

Michelle Obama belongs to a secret Princeton society that only lets certain types in.

All are protected under the 1st amendment.

What disgusts me are those who think a women should have been put to the head of the waiting list. I seem to recall the Chairmen alluding to admittance in due time or on their schedule. Would it have been fair to let Condoleezza Rice in ahead of those who may have waited many years. A membership only becomes available if someone resigns (almost never happens) or if they die; thus, there might be one or two or no openings in any given year. I personally applaud the decision to let women into clubs but not when it means putting them to the head of the waiting list.

Yes, it's indeed disgusting that a woman or an African American who was not even allowed on the list for the length of its existence may have jumped over some poor rich CEO. I applaud your commitment to fairness.

Even if we concede that certain private clubs may indeed do certain things with regard to the composition of their membership, I do not concede that an alleged journalist has to gush over their hallowed traditions or elevate their openly racist former chair to an exalted status.

Ken Robb
04-07-2016, 05:41 PM
It's gray and drizzly in SoCal. Watching The Masters while listening to the hushed comments while a small warm dog sleeps in my lap is VERY relaxing. My late-morning snooze over-lapped with my afternoon nap. :D

Louis
04-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Wow - I had completely forgotten about this thread. :p

ripvanrando
04-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Six putts from six feet. I feel for Ernie. I five jacked a 10 foot birdie putt in a tournament but my problem was mostly being way too aggressive on greens rolling a 15. An old buddy 4 jacked an eagle putt at pine valley. Painful. Putting is all confidence and I wonder if Ernie can ever overcome this one incident. I hope so, he sounded like a broken man.

How about Langer and Watson at even and +2. Would be great for either of those Masters to play the weekend....maybe Spieth can take his foot off the gas, looks like two over will be top 50 and ties .

firerescuefin
04-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Six putts from six feet. I feel for Ernie. I five jacked a 10 foot birdie putt in a tournament but my problem was mostly being way too aggressive on greens rolling a 15. An old buddy 4 jacked an eagle putt at pine valley. Painful. Putting is all confidence and I wonder if Ernie can ever overcome this one incident. I hope so, he sounded like a broken man.

How about Langer and Watson at even and +2. Would be great for either of those Masters to play the weekend....maybe Spieth can take his foot off the gas, looks like two over will be top 50 and ties .

I have never seen anything like that...EVER, and I've played golf at a relatively high level (college/regional mini tour stuff)...and watched a ton. van de Velde at the 99 Open Championship is probably the biggest tank job I've ever seen, but obviously a lot different circumstance, given that he was trying to close out the victory. Els was on the first hole. Has to be hard to realize your week is essentially over after the first hole.

fiamme red
04-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Tony Finau is showing today that his hole-in-one was no fluke.

This wasn't a day that Sergio Garcia will care to remember. :help:

ctcyclistbob
04-05-2018, 06:19 PM

It was hard to believe Sergio could hit 5 into the water, same shot over and over like in Tin Cup. But, he had too much backspin on the ball.

Still, it seems almost unfair that there's such a fine line at the Masters between a good shot and a bad one.

ctcyclistbob
04-05-2018, 06:47 PM

I didn't realize but he's 4 under tied for 2nd, with a bad ankle ... he sure did show something today.

ripvanrando
04-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Just waiting for the hate from San diego.

veloduffer
04-06-2018, 07:37 AM

Sergio should have gone a club up and take a 3/4 swing to reduce the backspin. You can’t win a tournament on Thursday, but you can lose one. To rub salt in the wound, he has to stick around until Sunday to put the jacket on this year’s winner (and do it with a smile).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

93KgBike
04-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Golf exists so that even day-drinkers have a 'sport' to waste money on and to waste time talking about. I guess I'm ok with that.

But to argue that pro golf is more historically racist or exclusionary than pro cycling seems like a stretch. There's room for improvement in both, if that's the basis for criticizing.

PQJ
04-06-2018, 05:33 PM
sport

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"
synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics; pastime
"we did a lot of sports"

informal
a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation.
"go on, be a sport!"

biology
an animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type, especially in form or color, as a result of spontaneous mutation.

verb

verb: sport; 3rd person present: sports; past tense: sported; past participle: sported; gerund or present participle: sporting

wear or display (a distinctive or noticeable item).
"he was sporting a huge handlebar mustache"
synonyms: wear, have on, dress in; More

amuse oneself or play in a lively, energetic way.
"the children sported in the water"

makoti
04-06-2018, 10:13 PM
We dredged up a two year old thread on GOLF?? Someone was bored today...

ripvanrando
04-07-2018, 06:42 AM
We dredged up a two year old thread on GOLF?? Someone was bored today...

I think there is a golf tournament going on this weekend and an important bike race. Both are pretty exciting if you ask me.

saab2000
04-07-2018, 07:09 AM
I enjoy the Masters and other golf tournaments, especially the majors. The constant promotion of the traditions of the Masters gets tiresome though, as does the cheesy music. They’re not really traditions if we’re told over and over about them. Then they’re just marketing. Let the beautiful course and the competition speak for themselves, because that’s why some of us like to watch it.

fkelly
04-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Having the Masters streaming on masters.com is a game changer, at least for those interested. They (Augusta) have always been VERY restrictive about what they'd show on TV. Usually (I approximate) the end of the rounds on Saturday and Sunday. I watched Thursday on masters.com. Full screen, beautiful picture. Yes, they did focus a bit on Tiger's group but you could watch the whole thing, without any ads and with minimal B.S. from the announcers.

Today, Saturday, I flipped to the TV channel showing the masters. At 2:00 p.m. they still had some canned show about past Master's champions. Live coverage scheduled to pick up at 2:30 and I'm sure half the time would be ads.

Obviously masters.com has to have approval from Augusta to broadcast, heck to even be on the premises, but equally obviously this is the future. Streaming.

fiamme red
04-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Should be an interesting day...

fiamme red
04-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Should be an interesting day...Molinari now only has a one-stroke lead over Woods.