PDA

View Full Version : So I had a run in with a dog yesterday.

Mr Cabletwitch
04-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Yesterday I was at one of my favorite MTB spots cranking along and passed a guy walking two pit bulls. I slowed down and went to the far right to pass and everything was fine, then I go back around to do the loop again and this time run into him on a tighter sections so I slowed down moved off the trail, but this time as I slowed down one of the dogs decided to use my ankle as a chew toy. I then stopped and in shock said "Dude your dog just bit my ankle" I was then greeted with a not so friendly response of If you guys (meaning MTBers) would just slow down and wait, couldn't you see I was pulling on the leash as hard as I could." I then asked about rabies shots and he said the dog had them and he ran off. I wasn't going to chase down a guy with two pit bulls so I pedaled off. When I got the lot I found a park ranger and told him what happened and he then went and found the guy. I just wanted verification that the dog had a rabies vaccine. The ranger wanted me to press charges but I refused saying that I should have noticed the dogs pulling on the leash and given him more time to control then, which I think I probably should have, but I didn't. The ranger then told me he wanted to give the guy a citation and if he fought it he wanted to know if I would go to court, which I said I wouldn't. So finally the ranger let it drop and just recorded the incident in case the guy has a problem again. I ended up just telling the guy with the dogs that I don't want anything to happen to your dog, but an I'm sorry and letting me check the tags would have prevented the whole thing. He then apologized and thanked me for not pressing charges.

What do you think? Did I do the right thing, should I have pressed charges or at least offered to testify? The dogs seemed pretty well behaved and it was rumbling threatning to storm at least that's what the owner blamed it on.

In the end I ended up with a cut up ankle and ripped sock but really not much worse than if i would have slipped on a pedal. In my twelve years of riding this is only the second time I've had a dog actually bite me the first happened three years ago an unleashed dog came around a corner on some single track and grabbed my thigh and took me off the bike, that time the owner wasn't nice either she blamed me and took off running. I run into dogs all the time and 99% just want to play I even have two dogs I see daily on my commute that run with me for a couple hundred yards and today then saw me and a garbage truck behind so they went after the garbage truck to protect me, it just sucks that owners don't want to be responsible for their dogs. :rolleyes:

christian
04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I would have pressed charges. Aggressive dogs and useless dog owners are a menace.

christian
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
The dogs seemed pretty well behaved and it was rumbling threatning to storm at least that's what the owner blamed it on.
"I'm sorry he mauled your two year-old to death. He was frightened by the oscillating sprinkler."

jpw
04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
i always have my frame pump at the ready to fend off ankle biters.

breeds like that should be more controlled.

moose8
04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
First, sorry for your experience - that does not sound like fun at all. I would have told the ranger I would show up at court if needed. Generally in my experience dogs don't just randomly bite one person and stop - next time it could be a little kid or something. That being said, I once had a dog bite my shoe and rip it off while mountain biking and I did absolutely nothing about it except getting out of the situation as quickly as possible.

Tony
04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
I would have pressed charges. Aggressive dogs and useless dog owners are a menace.

+1 Next could be a child.

Tony

BumbleBeeDave
04-11-2013, 09:50 AM
. . . you should really let the ranger give him a citation to establish the dog's record of viciousness. Under NY law every dog essentially gets one free bite because to successfully prosecute as vicious you have to have an established previous incident. Otherwise the "Why officer, he's never done this before!" defense raises a reasonable doubt.

You should have let the ranger issue the citation to establish a record. Now that particular dog's "free bite" might consist of mauling that 2-year-old to death.

I give a wide birth to all dogs on the top 10 on the bites list . . . Pit Bulls are #1 followed by such breeds as Rotties, Akita's, Chows, German Shepherds, and some others.

I like dogs, but I avoid getting anywhere close to these breeds no matter what assurances the owners offer. And I have zero tolerance for owners who have "that attitude" that their animals could never, ever do anything wrong.

BBD

54ny77
04-11-2013, 09:50 AM
hate those f'ing dogs.

a neighbor several houses down has one and i've seen that thing bolt like lightning on occasion, no control. do i trust it? no way.

given the right situation, if it entered my property on a running spree it would be the last time it ever did that. fear for my life and all that.

dog owners need to be responsible and capable. that means training, and knowing how to handle 'em. i grew up with akitas so i kinda know what i'm talkin' about in that regard.

rugbysecondrow
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Hard to say as I was not there, but I tend to agree with Christian.

I had a dog who was the sweetest thing you would ever meet around the house, get him out on a leash and he wanted to go after everything (this was when we first got him...he was as stray). We put a lot of time into him and controlling his agression and it worked. Owners of aggressive dogs need to understand this and be in control of the animal or else people get hurt. They also need to communicate with people as well. I have had horse back riders ask me to slow or go wide or wait...I obliged. It is just a ride, no sense in anybody getting hurt.

This dog bit a person once. My wife was walking him, stopped to talk to a neighbor and he sat by her side like he was trained to do. The other guy asked if he could pet the dog and my wife said, "No, he doesn't like people and he might bite you". Sure enough, this bastard step towards my wife, reached down to pet the dog and he got bit. He was pissed, but he was told and didn't listen. As we had kids, we learned that he was too protective of my wife and kids while walking, so I would walk him alone and we did family walks without him.

AgilisMerlin
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
hope your ankle is ok

shyt happens - all day long

a bike rep had a pit, big, brought into shop during work - scariest looking, friendliest dog i had ever met. scared the customers. dunno' - looks are deceiving.

all the luck

BumbleBeeDave
04-11-2013, 09:55 AM
hope your ankle is ok

shyt happens - all day long

a bike rep had a pit, big, brought into shop during work - scariest looking, friendliest dog i had ever met. scared the customers. dunno' - looks are deceiving.

all the luck

. . . and the percentages. Tends to keep my skin in one piece.

BBD

spiderman
04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
as a pet owner of a doberman that i take to the trail
and have off-lead most of the time...i always want to be in charge
of the encounter with other guests--pets and people alike.
all goes well with proper introductions if all involved are game.
stop. sit. stay. and let the fellow trail user pass without incident
is the option i try to always be prepared for...looking ahead/being prepared is my goal but coming across an unsuspecting pedestrian is my worst fear.

as a single track cyclist...i have come across some pretty aggressive dogs
out on the trail and most of the time they are off lead. being bit by a dog on lead is a worse case scenario. sorry it happened. hopefully you heal up well and no infection occurs.

i think you went way above and beyond in this situation.
calling attention to the matter.
ensuring there was proper vaccination.
recording the event in case of another mishap...
all spot on, really.
strong work
and making the best of a traumatic situation.
hopefully the guy has an ounce of the concern for others
that you have showed to him and his companions!

Jaq
04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
i always have my frame pump at the ready to fend off ankle biters.

I used to do that, but the parents would get so upset....

Lewis Moon
04-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Training your dog is a responsibility you take on when you bring the pup home. I am forever pissed off by folks who are too lazy to put the training in.
Leashes are great but training is better. Both are best in social situations.

sparky33
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
this time run into him on a tighter sections so I slowed down moved off the trail, but this time as I slowed down one of the dogs decided to use my ankle as a chew toy. I then stopped and in shock said "Dude your dog just bit my ankle"

Antisocial dogs ruin it for the rest of us (dog owners). Totally unacceptable.

I hope you mend quickly.

Mr Cabletwitch
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
. . . you should really let the ranger give him a citation to establish the dog's record of viciousness. Under NY law every dog essentially gets one free bite because to successfully prosecute as vicious you have to have an established previous incident. Otherwise the "Why officer, he's never done this before!" defense raises a reasonable doubt.

You should have let the ranger issue the citation to establish a record. Now that particular dog's "free bite" might consist of mauling that 2-year-old to death.

I give a wide birth to all dogs on the top 10 on the bites list . . . Pit Bulls are #1 followed by such breeds as Rotties, Akita's, Chows, German Shepherds, and some others.

I like dogs, but I avoid getting anywhere close to these breeds no matter what assurances the owners offer. And I have zero tolerance for owners who have "that attitude" that their animals could never, ever do anything wrong.

BBD

The ranger did record the incident and the police are putting it on file in case there is another incident. I just didn't want to cause trouble since I really should have stopped to allow him to get control of the dog but since I passed earlier without any problems I figured this would be the same.

On an off note one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met on the trail was a pitbull it came running at me with its tongue out and tail wagging and ran along the trail with me till I stopped and then sat right next to me until its owner came over and told me it was safe to pet it. On the flip side the worst mauling I got was by a weimaraner which isn't supposed to be an aggressive breed at all. I think aggressive owners equal aggressive dogs. I think the dog takes on the personality of the owner.

Oh and I'm fine just two gashes on my ankle bone, no worse than the pedal strike I have on the other ankle. The ranger had a first aid kit so I cleaned it and wiped it down with alcohol.

texbike
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
I can't stand those FN dogs and feel that most owners that have them have personality disorders that need to be addressed. I've had multiple run-ins over the years with people who've had them off leash (even in a Home Depot one time!!!). My kids have been taught that they are NEVER to approach a Pit or pit-looking dog and are to go the opposite direction from them when they're near.

However, in this scenario, it sounds like at least they were on the leash and you were (theoretically at least) invading their space. The dog SHOULDN'T have bit you, but it may have been wise to give them a wider berth given the nature of most of those beasts.

In the same scenario, I wouldn't have pressed charges either but may have felt differently if the dog had caused significant injury. Sorry to hear about the bite.

Texbike

Britishbane
04-11-2013, 10:44 AM
On the flip side the worst mauling I got was by a weimaraner which isn't supposed to be an aggressive breed at all. I think aggressive owners equal aggressive dogs.

Not my take on the breed at all. That said, I agree that the owner's training of said dog, regardless of breed, plays a major role.

HugoBear
04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I think the OP handled it perfectly. Good job. Sorry to hear it happened. I love animals and am the son of a veterinarian. I usually run into dogs off leash where it specifically says for them not to be. Most of the time, they are cool dogs that sometimes just get in the way but no big deal. I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner and although it is right to give the dog and owner time to know you are coming, it is ultimately the animal owner's fault-ALWAYS, if they bite you.

1/2 Wheeler
04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
The irony of dealing with dogs is that those of you that are scared to death of these dogs are exponentially more likely to get bite by them. Dogs can sense your fear (by smell we assume). When dogs are scared they pretty much only fight or flee, they assume you will act the same. Since you don't flee, they assume you want a fight.

Man up, own your space and you will be fine.

In this case it sounds like the OP handled it as well as it could be handled.

gavingould
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Good on you, OP. i think you handled it quite well.

99% of the time it's the dog owner that is the problem.
lack of control, training, and knowing how your dog reacts to various situations.

i've known plenty of pit bulls that are very sweet, well-behaved dogs, because the owner put in the the time and training. there are a lot of the exact opposite around too, probably far more actually...

i leash-walk my greyhound 3 or more times a day in my neighborhood, usually same route; pretty much all the other people who walk their dogs know us. we've been approached by unleashed or leashed but uncontrolled dogs many times. so far they've all been friendly or just curious (much like my dog) - but the owners are usually not apologetic at all, so i give them a friendly warning that if it happens again they won't like the outcome. i don't let my dog approach others unless the owner is OK with it and is pretty sure their dog is too.

there are definitely some highly reactive various-breed dogs in my hood that never get out of their fenced-in yard, i feel sorry for the dog but if they did get out there would most likely be problems.

Formulasaab
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Well done Mr. Cabletwitch.

As far as I can tell, you handled it well. I would have done the same thing, I hope.

On the trail, I treat everyone else as if they have the right of way. Around here we are as likely to meet a horse on the trail as we are a dog. If I didn't stop and allow them to pass, who's fault would it be if I got kicked in the head with a hoof? Why should it be any different for a dog? They're both trained animals. The training of both is dependent upon the skill and will of the trainer. Both have personalities of their own that may, on occasion, override their training when they feel threatened or feel their owner is threatened.

I worry about the tone of some of the replies to this thread. Do they realize that it might be possible that this dog could have been forcibly taken from the owner and destroyed depending on the laws of the area and past history?

Given the successful first pass by these pets, the fact that they were on a lead, and the owner was pulling on that lead to gain control... How would they feel about being responsible for extracting a loved family member from a person's life?

No doubt that your experience might be indicative of that owner's skill as a handler. But it might not be. It might be indicative of a behavioral fault in that particular animal, but it might not be.

Don't forget that we are on mighty fast wheels and we come up on folks rather quickly compared to EVERYTHING ELSE on the trail.

Full disclosure, I own a dog. No it isn't a "bully" breed, it is a Miniature Schnauzer. I also lost my previous Miniature Schnauzer, during a walk on neighborhood streets while on a leash, to an attack by an unrestrained Staffordshire Terrier (among those breeds categorized as "pit bull"). So don't tell me I haven't "been there" or don't recognize the danger.

charliedid
04-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Glad you're okay...

" I was then greeted with a not so friendly response of If you guys (meaning MTBers) would just slow down and wait, couldn't you see I was pulling on the leash as hard as I could."

And you admitting that >The ranger wanted me to press charges but I refused saying that I should have noticed the dogs pulling on the leash and given him more time to control then, which I think I probably should have, but I didn't."

Maybe lesson learned?

The fact that they were Pitbulls will likely turn this into a hate fest but let's not let it.

All things being equal, my cute 43 lb Australian Shepherd might have acted the same way. His dog was being defensive not agressive. We are the smarter animals, so when coming across dogs or horses we need to be as gracious and calm as can be.

Scared animals are dangerous.

Again, I am glad it was not worse.

neiltron
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Very irresponsible of the dog owner to bolt off after you asked about rabies shots. At the minimum, he should have treated it like a traffic accident - stop and exchange information. I'd interpret his behavior initially as a hit-and-run....

christian
04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
I worry about the tone of some of the replies to this thread. Do they realize that it might be possible that this dog could have been forcibly taken from the owner and destroyed depending on the laws of the area and past history?Since I think you're referring, at least in part, to me, I'll clarify my position. To wit, I realize that aggressive dogs that bite can be forcibly taken from their owners and destroyed. This is a good thing. I believe that this should be a "one-strike, you're out" proposition. That would encourage dog owners to train and control their dogs.

Aggressive dogs are not people with inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Euthanizing aggressive dogs and severely fining their owners are appropriate responses to dog bite problems.

How would they feel about being responsible for extracting a loved family member from a person's life?It's not a child. It's a domesticated animal, for whose welfare the owner is responsible. If the owner wants to ensure the welfare of his dog, he should ensure it does not bite. The owner of a biting dog, not its victim, is responsible for its eventual destruction. (BTW, as an analogy if your kid bites me, I'm likely to press battery charges as well.)

And before anyone says I don't know how much people love their dogs, I've owned dogs:
http://ivyandchristian.com/spooky/images/spooky4.jpg

reggiebaseball
04-11-2013, 12:14 PM
listen you did fine,

every interaction does not need to be escalated to a national incident.

I think you would feel worse today if you were adamant about pressing charges and they euthanized this dog - seeing his owners 6 year old twins crying, asking why the bad man is making Daisy die.

Some mornings I feel crappy and want to kick mountain bikers too. Trail hogging hipp metalhead gangsters.:bike:

Thank god those few times I am a jack-hole that I don't get euthanized by a goody two-shoes over achiever filing court papers.

akelman
04-11-2013, 12:16 PM
And before anyone says I don't know how much people love their dogs, I've owned dogs:

You put eyeliner on your dog?!!!? That's inhumane, man. I'm calling PETA.

CNY rider
04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Since I think you're referring, at least in part, to me, I'll clarify my position. To wit, I realize that aggressive dogs that bite can be forcibly taken from their owners and destroyed. This is a good thing. I believe that this should be a "one-strike, you're out" proposition. That would encourage dog owners to train and control their dogs.

Aggressive dogs are not people with inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Euthanizing aggressive dogs and severely fining their owners are appropriate responses to dog bite problems.

It's not a child. It's a domesticated animal, for whose welfare the owner is responsible. If the owner wants to ensure the welfare of his dog, he should ensure it does not bite. The owner of a biting dog, not its victim, is responsible for its eventual destruction. (BTW, as an analogy if your kid bites me, I'm likely to press battery charges as well.)

I am both a dog owner and a dog lover and I agree with christian.
If the dog had been destroyed, it would have been the owner's fault. If that rider that got bit was me I would lose no sleep over that dog meeting its maker.

eippo1
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
breeds like that should be more controlled.

owners of breeds like that should be more controlled. A dog is a dog, each has a personality and aggression can certainly be bred as a trait, but "much" of this is largely a misnomer.

Our dog often has the chase drive kick in when she's surprised by something that is moving quickly very close to her. We've suppressed it with lots of training, but that take a long time since she was so poorly treated in her former life.

OP, you seem to be pretty aware of things and the owner totally should have paid better attention to where he was on the trail and maybe only take one for a walk at a time if he has issues controlling them. But **** happens and dogs are dogs - sometimes not for the best.

For instance, my dog is afraid of other dogs so acts aggressive towards them, but has only had incidents with terriers that have gotten loose and attacked her, while she did a great job ignoring them. Of course my dog is highly trained, but gets the bad rap, while these little ****s get a free pass on any sort of good behavior. /rant

pdmtong
04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
the guy should not have run off. you took the high ground in not escalating it.

however, what if you do get an infection? tommeke could have had his arm amputated! owner identification and a formal report would be critical.

around here, when a pit bull bites, the victim often does not live.

the oakland-richmond-san jose strain of pit bulls must be more aggressive.

reggiebaseball
04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
if we can euthanize the owner, then fine,

but give the dog a break,

try to be compassionate,
now if that dog bit one of my cats, I would rip it apart with my bare hands Mike Vick-style.

54ny77
04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
you're right and that is probably 99.9% of the reason dog-related issues occur.

it's a big responsibility to train and take care of dogs, both big & small. they sure don't do it on their own.

a pal trained his guard dog (or rather, had it trained) to the point of being able to place a doggy treat literally on it's nose, and the dog wouldn't flinch unless given a certain command.

guard training vs. social/family dog training, can be a big difference in approach. that, and the general temperament of the dog itself.

owners of breeds like that should be more controlled.

William
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM

I would name him Marty!:)

William

azrider
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
What do you think? Did I do the right thing

Nope.

Shoulda pressed charges.

Tom
04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
One thing I noticed is that this was the second time you passed them. That probably was what made the dog do what it did. It's not your fault, but I bet the dog thought you had some intent by coming back. I know because when I was a kid one time I rode my bike past a neighbor's house three times one day and the third time their collie broke free from where it was tied and chomped my leg pretty good.

gavingould
04-11-2013, 01:41 PM
solution: get Peter Sagan to pinch the dog and owner.

shovelhd
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Nope.

Shoulda pressed charges.

I would have, only because of the owner's reactions and comments. That guy needs to hear it from the bench that his dog is his responsibility, and biting a passing cyclist is not acceptable behavior.

azrider
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I would have, only because of the owner's reactions and comments. That guy needs to hear it from the bench that his dog is his responsibility, and biting a passing cyclist is not acceptable behavior.

Yes and Yes. Dude probably bragged that he "got away with it" to his buddies and will be even less likely to try and keep it from happening again if situation were to present itself in future.

There's a reason why the Ranger was emphasizing and encouraging OP to press charges.

gdw
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM
You acted responsibly. An incident report was filed so there is an official record of the event.

Formulasaab
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Since I think you're referring, at least in part, to me, I'll clarify my position.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I get your gist.

I may not agree, but I can respect your position.

If today was the day I was holding my dead and blood covered little girl (my brain may know she's not a child, but try telling that to my heart) in my arms and weeping like a child, I might agree with you. It wasn't that long ago, but I've come to recognize there are degrees of guilt and blame and there are ways to differentiate real danger from perceived danger.

I did press charges in that case because as we came to learn, it wasn't an isolated incident. That dog was allowed to live, but it will never be allowed out of doors again unless it is in a pen with a roof and concrete floor.

She was 9 years old, 14 lbs, had a brace on her leg due to a torn CCL, and was weakened by an episode of pancreatitis. An angry Chiwawa could have torn her up. It just didn't take as long for the Staffordshire to manage it.

Damn, I'm done. This is a sh*tty topic.

BryanE
04-11-2013, 03:56 PM
I think you did the right thing.
So does Tootsie.

pdmtong
04-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Training your dog is a responsibility you take on when you bring the pup home. I am forever pissed off by folks who are too lazy to put the training in.
Leashes are great but training is better. Both are best in social situations.

sadly, the same could be said of folks who are not ready to be parents but still have children

christian
04-11-2013, 04:27 PM
You have to be a really bad parent with a pretty fast kid if they bite a passing mountain biker.

djg21
04-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Same. If the dogs were aggressive or nervous around unfamiliar people (hikers/MTBers), the owner should not have brought them to a park where he was likely to run into unfamiliar people. I would have pressed charges just to insure that the dogs' rabies inoculations were up to date. I also would have gone to my physician to make sure there was no issue with tetanus, or anything else. I then would have sent the bill to the dog owner.

djg21
04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I have zero tolerance for owners who have "that attitude" that their animals could never, ever do anything wrong.
BBD

Really? You know my dogs, and the worst thing they could ever do to you is slobber you to death or drive you nuts by continually dropping a tennis ball in your lap.

Otherwise, I'm in complete agreement.

Peter P.
04-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't think Mr. Cabletwitch did the right thing if for nothing else he refused to assist the park ranger with enforcing the law. I'm not suggesting being hostile toward the dog owner; just cooperating with the park ranger so he can keep law and order in the park. It would foster better relations between mountain bikers and the park rangers in a subtle way. I'm not sure what you expected to accomplish by telling the ranger about the incident but not wanting to press charges or testify on the park ranger's behalf. It's like the person who "doesn't want to get involved".

Also, it would clearly be a wake up call to the pit bull owner. The dog was clearly not ready to be in public if there's a tug of war between dog and owner. To me, the dog owner wasn't willingly responsible for the dog by being defensive and not quickly agreeing to providing proof of rabies shots, which would have quickly deescalated the situation. It was a reasonable request. Had he done this, the issue would never have gone to the park ranger, I'd guess.

avalonracing
04-11-2013, 07:45 PM
I live just outside of Baltimore, a city so rife with Pitbulls that some people just call them Baltimore Terriers.

That said, as for "Waiting for the owner to get control of the dog pulling on the leash". You can't control a Pit once it's in that mode. They are insanely strong and once the lock down it is all but impossible to stop it until the dog wants to let go. Personally I don't think anyone should have an animal that they cannot control which pretty much rules out all pits.

You can say, the most comment bites are from retrievers but that is because they are so damn friendly that little kids basically can ride on their backs and put sticks in their eyes until and older dog gives them a nip to get them to stop. Unlike pitbulls there aren't too many videos of a crowd of people hitting a Golden-doodle with all their might to get it to stop trying to tear off a child's leg.

I LOVE dogs I just have no tolerance for psycho dogs or their owners with something to prove or ignorance of the dogs potential.

The dog that bit you today WILL bit someone again. It has no reason not to. It's not like the owner is going to go home and have a heart to heart talk about right and wrong with it. Let's hope it doesn't severely injure that next person that it attacks. I'm not blaming the OP, he made a decision that was right for him and tried to be compassionate to the owner and the dog, the thing is, it just wasn't the best decision for the next guy/girl/child or dog that is on the wrong side of that long leash.

93legendti
04-11-2013, 07:45 PM
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/qvusdogbiteslstatutes.htm

There's good reason 36 states, plus D.C., have absolute/strict liability for dog bites to innocent victims.

A dog owner whose dog bites is someone who needs to take immediate action to prevent the next bite.

Letting the owner/dog off the hook does a disservice to the dog's next victim.

spiderman
04-11-2013, 09:00 PM
The first was just plain excited to see us again...
Roaming free at his home court.
The second was on lead, and nippy with the introductions.
Just glad Katy is such a lady!

spiderman
04-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Here's the second encounter...hope the wound is healing

BryanE
04-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Rat Terriers are a snippy little breed.
This is Gus smiling for the camera.
He really is a coward but they are not the type to give warm fuzzies to strangers.
Let me add if when I walk my Ratter on a leash I always pick him up when we meet other people or dogs.
That's why he at least is on a leash?
I do believe almost any dog under certain circumstances is capable of biting someone.

carlucci1106
04-12-2013, 06:43 AM
I have had some dog drama recently too. Almost every ride I get chased, especially on the Native Reservation. I am learning to speed up when I see them coming. When I pass, I swerve, and then unclip, and give him the "donkey kick is imminent" look. That worked on the Serotta...

But the other day I was just running an errand on the fixed gear, and a Rotweiler came out of nowhere on the end of my street, snarling and ready. Had to just put the pedal down, and blaze through the four-way stop without looking. It was night so it wasn't busy. I ended up calling the police when I got to my destination. Haven't seen him in that front yard since. I don't don't think this is something we should have to worry about, in addition to the myriad dangers of cycling. And then there are the F---s who say, "if it is so dangerous, maybe it is a sign you should not ride." I respond, "maybe it's a sign that someone should put you in jail for endangering the public with your irresponsibility!"

I was bitten last winter commuting by a shepherd, pretty good on the leg.

I have no tolerance anymore. I am carrying my pepper spray in my jersey pocket from now on, and my tazer, and the next loose-running attack dog is GOING TO GET IT! Warnings by the police aren't going to prevent it from happening. Citations, fines, etc. might, but that will never happen in this viscious dog-loving, cyclist-hating community.

Press charges. That is the only way these people will stop fear-mongering with their animals.

93legendti
04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Rat Terriers are a snippy little breed.
This is Gus smiling for the camera.
He really is a coward but they are not the type to give warm fuzzies to strangers.
Let me add if when I walk my Ratter on a leash I always pick him up when we meet other people or dogs.
That's why he at least is on a leash?
I do believe almost any dog under certain circumstances is capable of biting someone.

There's a women who walks 2 of those our neighborhood. I seem to cross paths with her 3x/week. Each time they snarl, bark, strain aganst their leashes and try to get at me-even when I am on the opposite side of the road to avoid them. She is a tiny woman and I am always waiting for their leashes to get dropped and have them come at me.

I once gently suggested that the dogs needed training- she didn't like that. Now, I realize she needs training to pick them up when a stranger approaches.
Every house has a dog in our neighborhood. Some are really big dogs. But hers are the ones I hate to see on a ride.

malcolm
04-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Glad you're okay...

" I was then greeted with a not so friendly response of If you guys (meaning MTBers) would just slow down and wait, couldn't you see I was pulling on the leash as hard as I could."

And you admitting that >The ranger wanted me to press charges but I refused saying that I should have noticed the dogs pulling on the leash and given him more time to control then, which I think I probably should have, but I didn't."

Maybe lesson learned?

The fact that they were Pitbulls will likely turn this into a hate fest but let's not let it.

All things being equal, my cute 43 lb Australian Shepherd might have acted the same way. His dog was being defensive not agressive. We are the smarter animals, so when coming across dogs or horses we need to be as gracious and calm as can be.

Scared animals are dangerous.

Again, I am glad it was not worse.

Irrespective of breed your dog should not be in public if you can't have control of him at all times. I should not have to adjust my behavior because your dog may bite. Common sense may dictate that I do and I will do what I can to keep myself safe, but I shouldn't have to alter my behavior especially while traversing single track because you have a dog that is a potential bitter or one you can't control. If you have your dog in public the responsibility is on you. You can't depend on my behavior to help you manage your animal.

gdw
04-12-2013, 08:47 AM
"I shouldn't have to alter my behavior especially while traversing single track because you have a dog that is a potential bitter or one you can't control"

Actually you should be altering your behavior. You don't have right of way. When you're riding singletrack you should yield to anything moving slower than you...runners, walkers, horses, dogs, etc.

bambam
04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Seems like you handled it well.
Seems you both saw the errors of your ways.

But,
I would have let the official give the citation. This would have forced the owner to look at it more seriously at the situation and maybe they would be more prepared the next time they took the dog out for a walk. Even if you didn't show up to court if the owner decided to fight the charges he would be aware of the consequences and responsibility of being a dog owner.

Lastly, I was not there and do not know the whole situation. My response to the situation would have been contingent on the dog that didn't bit you.
If it was aggressive I would have consodered filing charges. If it wasn't I still would have let the ranger file the citation.

The pet owner should have a comfort level with there pet, know its limits and avoid potential dangers for their pets and others.

BTW, I live in Kentucky where loose dogs are abundant and each situation requires its own assessment. Last weekend, on a club ride, a rider was bitten badly and there was actually a warning on the cue sheet about the dog in question.

I am not sure what has happend since but I hope the rider filed a report seeing how badly his leg was ripped open.

93legendti
04-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Irrespective of breed your dog should not be in public if you can't have control of him at all times. I should not have to adjust my behavior because your dog may bite. Common sense may dictate that I do and I will do what I can to keep myself safe, but I shouldn't have to alter my behavior especially while traversing single track because you have a dog that is a potential bitter or one you can't control. If you have your dog in public the responsibility is on you. You can't depend on my behavior to help you manage your animal.

+1.

Someone who goes out in public with a dangerous dog and expects OTHERS to prevent his/her dog from biting is more than unreasonable. In addition, the law states otherwise. The onus is on the dog owner.

krhea
04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
+1.

Someone who goes out in public with a dangerous dog and expects OTHERS to prevent his/her dog from biting is more than unreasonable. In addition, the law states otherwise. The onus is on the dog owner.

Amen!

You should of reported the dog/owner, that dog WILL bite again because of exactly what someone already said, "it has no reason NOT to". I just hope when it does bite again that the person is as lucky as you were and I really hope it isn't a child...

jh_on_the_cape
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I have not read all the posts but I was bitten by a dog running a few years ago.

I had the same response you did and I regret it. I did not want to be a jerk.

The dog could have seriously injured a child or elderly person.

You should have pressed charges and gotten a lawyer. If you feel bad getting the $2-5k you would have received you could have donated it to a family with a child that was mauled by a dog.

You did not press charges. It will happen again until someone does.

A dog owner is responsible for a dog. If you were breaking the law, I would understand, but trail etiquette is not law.

malcolm
04-12-2013, 11:24 AM
"I shouldn't have to alter my behavior especially while traversing single track because you have a dog that is a potential bitter or one you can't control"

Actually you should be altering your behavior. You don't have right of way. When you're riding singletrack you should yield to anything moving slower than you...runners, walkers, horses, dogs, etc.

Depends on how the trail is marked. But you still shouldn't have to anticipate the bite of a dog. You've taken the meaning out of context to be argumentative. Of course you should be a good steward and citizen while using the trail, but you are not responsible for being bitten by someone else's dog unless your are doing something to it.

avalonracing
04-12-2013, 11:43 AM
"Hey man, yeah, I punched you in the face as you were riding by but you startled me when I was hiking on the single-track and you came around the corner and I didn't have time to compose myself. Did you see that I was making a fist rearing back? I can't help it, it's just my nature"

That wouldn't really be an acceptable excuse either.

54ny77
04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
that actually made me laugh. would suck if the hiker was chuck norris. :)

rugbysecondrow
04-12-2013, 01:32 PM
"Hey man, yeah, I punched you in the face as you were riding by but you startled me when I was hiking on the single-track and you came around the corner and I didn't have time to compose myself. Did you see that I was making a fist rearing back? I can't help it, it's just my nature"

I have almost punched somebody for sneaking up on me and startling me. I know I have elbowed somebody for doing that. Ooops.

rugbysecondrow
04-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Depends on how the trail is marked. But you still shouldn't have to anticipate the bite of a dog. You've taken the meaning out of context to be argumentative. Of course you should be a good steward and citizen while using the trail, but you are not responsible for being bitten by someone else's dog unless your are doing something to it.

I agree with what you are saying. There is a difference between being "right" and being "right and bitten by a dog". Sure, you can be right in that you ought to be able to move free from being bitten. The reality is that dogs, horses and other animals, when startled, will react. Kicks, headbutts, bites...they all happen. I give a wide berth and make sure I am outside of snapping range of dogs and animals.

It is all situational awarenes.

BryanE
04-12-2013, 02:36 PM

I hope you are smarter than a dog.
At the very least my Boxer.

killacks
04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
1) I never seem to be as comfortable in the presence of off-leash dogs as their owners are, and especially so when my kid's around.

2) Was it a mixed-use trail (i.e. for hikers, bikes, horses, etc.)? Around here bikes are supposed to yield to everyone on the trail, I believe. And MTBs can approach very quickly and quietly in many cases.

No blame being assessed here :)

Mr Cabletwitch
04-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Just an update. My ankle is looking good no signs of infection at least. And for those that questioned yes it is a multi use trail and I am supposed to yeild to hikers which I only did half way thats why I insisted on not pressing charges. I was there I saw the dog if it wanted to it could have ripped my leg off, but it just gave me a good nip on the ankle bone so seeing that I didn't do what I was supposed to do I surely didn't want to put all the blame on the dog or its owner. The ranger was ok with not citing him since that was my wishes he just thought it would be better to. The entire time the ranger was there both the guys dogs were well behaved and sat quietly in his truck. I really think it was just a case of a storm coming in and me coming up quick as it was a fast trail. Even though I did slow down and move to the side I didn't give him enough time to control his dogs. I still think I did the right thing and the guy did apologize and he looked plenty shook up when I left because the ranger gave him a pretty harsh lecture. The only reason I got the ranger involved was because I wanted verification of a rabies vaccine and after the initial confrontation I didn't feel comfortable asking to see tags seeing as the guy did have two pit bulls with him.

Thanks for all the well wishes but really its just a cut no worse than I have on the other ankle from slipping on a pedal. Worst thing is I lost a good pair of socks.