PDA

View Full Version : A "few" thoughts on my first 'cross race.

L84dinr
11-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Been hemming and hawing on whether to post...

Well I participated in my first ‘cross race. I say participated cause I sure wasn’t racing! I started the race on my C’dale cross bike with Vittoria Utmost sew-ups. My race wheels, with Michelin Jets with road tubes weren’t going to cut the mustard. I blew a tube, split the seam actually, the night before the race; so I figured I’d be better off racing the vittorias rather than take a chance on blowing another tube. (I have since replaced the road tubes with wider tubes, which won’t be stressed/stretched as bad as the road tubes). The utmosts worked OK on most sections, however there was a short steep uphill over a levee where the rear tire would spin under-load. I fell twice on the hill, back wheel spinning out. Dadgummit! Also, I haven’t had a stitch in my side since high school track days. The stitch started around the second lap and lasted till around the bell lap. I kept thinking "just ride thru it it’ll be gone pretty quick", man was I wrong. The legs were OK… Just couldn’t get enough oxygen! The eggbeaters are going to take a lot of getting used too. I spent a lot of time looking at my pedals after transitions. The chain fell off once, luckily I was able to spin it back on, the dog fang thing worked OK for once, it at least kept the chain from falling off to the BB. But all of the little mistakes and tribulations still don’t add up to the lack of engine!
The course was a great course. There was a road section; one jumped curbs to get to and from the CX course. Just a little bit of single track, (prolly about 35-40 feet). There was a double barrier in one spot about 12-15 feet; and a single barrier at the bottom of the levee. The levee came into play as it was crossed during the race twice each lap. After coming down the levee there was a right turn to a quick left into a sand pit… about 10-15 feet in length, which most portaged their bikes thru. It’s been very dry in these parts lately so the course was loose dirt and dry grass, which was very slippery in some of the corners. A few times the trees looked VERY BIG :>)
All in all a good time and I enjoyed the experience. I learned some things; one, I need a smaller bike! Also I need to ride a whole lot more!!! Nothing makes up for lack of training!
BTW, for the record, I finished last; lapped by the first five or six places… bummer. Didn’t really think I’d finish so far back, big bummer.

I love to compete, and competition… But man I really wonder sometimes. Oh well I am not going to quit riding/racing… But sometimes I think, man it would sure be nice to just quit all the work and get fat dumb and happy.

No more whining.

Back to the grind.

Sorry for the length, and Thanks for reading, rtp

Bruce K
11-23-2005, 10:30 AM
But you DID say that you had fun.

Good, bad, or indifferent that's an important part of cross for me.

It IS fun.

Keep at it, it only gets better.

BK

dehoopta
11-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Better to have come in last, had fun and proved you could finish than to do like many and not try for fear of failure. The only failure is in not trying. I ran many a road race only to compete against myself.

good on ya!

Have a happy turkey day!

david
11-23-2005, 05:40 PM
But sometimes I think, man it would sure be nice to just quit all the work and get fat dumb and happy.

Trust me, it's overrated. I got fat and dumb and thought I was sorta happy. But then I missed riding and got back into it.

Took two years of hauling a bunch of self-inflicted lard up hills, coughing up bile-glazed clams, until I got back to a reasonable weight and speed.

Drop the chalupa!

Lost Weekend
11-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Good post. I often think the same thing, until I see my fat and lazy friends :p
Havn't cross raced yet, but it sure looks tough and fun at the same time- if that makes sense.

Ray
11-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Trust me, it's overrated. I got fat and dumb and thought I was sorta happy. But then I missed riding and got back into it.

Took two years of hauling a bunch of self-inflicted lard up hills, coughing up bile-glazed clams, until I got back to a reasonable weight and speed.

Drop the chalupa!
I seem to be obligated by law to make this point, because I never seem to be able to pass up a chance to make it. There is an alternative between sitting on the couch and full out racing. You can just ride a lot, go hard when you want to, not worry about it when you don't want to, and get and stay in VERY GOOD SHAPE. Maybe not racing shape - that only comes from very specific training. But real good nonetheless.

Of course, if you ENJOY the racing and the pain that goes into it, continue to go for it and more power to you. But it's not necessarily an either/or, all gas or all brake proposition. BTW, congratulations on finishing your first cross race!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

-Ray

L84dinr
11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks y'all for the kudos.

Gonna go watch Star Wars III with the kids. They are pumped too see what happened to Annakin/Darth Vader.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

rtp

shinomaster
11-26-2005, 11:10 PM
At least you raced!...That is all that really matters...and that you had some fun!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

shaq-d
11-27-2005, 07:52 AM
The utmosts worked OK on most sections, however there was a short steep uphill over a levee where the rear tire would spin under-load. I fell twice on the hill, back wheel spinning out. Dadgummit!

whoa whoa whoa.. you blame the tires for this?

sd

Redturbo
11-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Hey Late,
I was out there on the red bike. The sand pit was fun in a mp kind of way:D
turbo

L84dinr
11-27-2005, 12:05 PM
whoa whoa whoa.. you blame the tires for this?

sd

Uhmm no, not really. I blame technique. The fact that I made it up the hill more times than i fell "tells" the truth. I was whipped towards the end of the race... Didn't hit the hill with enough gumption and had to try to muscle my way up. The tires spun on me. Perhaps if I had some knobbies of some sort I might not have spun out, shrug. But, it was all me and lack of technique.

Red Turbo, I didn't hang around for any other races. I had forgot about a fellow forumite perhaps being at the race. How'd you do? I am going to miss the Dec 3-4 weekend of racing; prior obligations with the family; but am going to try to make the rest of the races except for the San Antonio races.

I will look for you at some of the next races.

Raymond

shaq-d
11-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Uhmm no, not really. I blame technique. The fact that I made it up the hill more times than i fell "tells" the truth. I was whipped towards the end of the race... Didn't hit the hill with enough gumption and had to try to muscle my way up. The tires spun on me. Perhaps if I had some knobbies of some sort I might not have spun out, shrug. But, it was all me and lack of technique.

ah nods.. well, not ALL you... i was just wondering if any tire is that bad. or if any other tire woud be so much better as to not lose tracton/keep you upright.. 'cause ya, we all know it's about maintaining momentum. anyway it sounded like fun *g*

sd

Redturbo
11-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Red Turbo, I didn't hang around for any other races. I had forgot about a fellow forumite perhaps being at the race. How'd you do? I am going to miss the Dec 3-4 weekend of racing; prior obligations with the family; but am going to try to make the rest of the races except for the San Antonio races.

I will look for you at some of the next races.

Raymond[/QUOTE]

7th in the B :beer:

turbo