PDA

View Full Version : OT: Video Game (Bioshock Infinite)

tuxbailey
04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Any gamer on the board played it? I just finished over the weekend and it was one of the best games I have played for a long time.

If you play video games, specially FPS it is worth going through. Great story that keeps you thinking after completion and the game is absolutely beautiful.

eippo1
04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Been looking forward to it but have to finish Mass Effect 3 first. I do have to say that my gaming highlight in recent years has been playing Dead Space 3 coop. SO much fun. If you haven't done it, you should.

FlashUNC
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
I'd put it up there with Spec Ops: The Line and The Walking Dead in terms of really solid storytelling through both the writing and the game mechanics.

Some of the fights are a little ambushy for my taste.

But really, really enjoyed Infinite. A worthy successor to the first Bioshock.

tuxbailey
04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Been looking forward to it but have to finish Mass Effect 3 first. I do have to say that my gaming highlight in recent years has been playing Dead Space 3 coop. SO much fun. If you haven't done it, you should.

Dead space seems like it will give me nightmares.

tuxbailey
04-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd put it up there with Spec Ops: The Line and The Walking Dead in terms of really solid storytelling through both the writing and the game mechanics.

Some of the fights are a little ambushy for my taste.

But really, really enjoyed Infinite. A worthy successor to the first Bioshock.

I have Spec Ops: the line installed but I haven't played it yet. The story line is supposed to be amazing.

FlashUNC
04-10-2013, 09:00 PM
I have Spec Ops: the line installed but I haven't played it yet. The story line is supposed to be amazing.

Its genius really. The designers took what are supposed to be just standard, run of the mill shooter mechanics, and use that to feed into their deeper story and point.

Unbelievably good.

MadRocketSci
04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
ok here's my problem. I've bought/downloaded a bunch of "classic" FPS's since Doom. I haven't played any of them. All starts off ok and in about 15 minutes i'm dizzy and nauseous. I can't resist giving it "another go" when the next most awesomest game of all time comes out...this time, i got into the lighthouse with the twisting stairway and pretty much had to stop. yeah, like 5 minutes in.

Anyway have this issue and and know tricks to get around it? i've tried sea bands, ginger tea. anything else? weird thing is i don't suffer much motion sickness in the real world?!

MattTuck
04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
ok here's my problem. I've bought/downloaded a bunch of "classic" FPS's since Doom. I haven't played any of them. All starts off ok and in about 15 minutes i'm dizzy and nauseous. I can't resist giving it "another go" when the next most awesomest game of all time comes out...this time, i got into the lighthouse with the twisting stairway and pretty much had to stop. yeah, like 5 minutes in.

Anyway have this issue and and know tricks to get around it? i've tried sea bands, ginger tea. anything else? weird thing is i don't suffer much motion sickness in the real world?!

I'm not much of a video game player, but I can sorta sympathize. In highschool, when I tried to play, I'd wind up in a corner pointing straight up, unable to get out. My friends would run by and just shoot me in the back... I was pretty hapless.

tuxbailey
04-10-2013, 10:01 PM

That sucks. You must be in the 5% of people the health warning are targeted to :(

MadRocketSci
04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
That sucks. You must be in the 5% of people the health warning are targeted to :(

Nah, that warning is for people who might have an epileptic seizure from video games. Something about flashing lights i think...

I suffer from a bad case of DIMS - Doom Induced Motion Sickness. Now here's my followup question...is BS Infinite so awesome that I should pop dramamine, ginger, lotsa coffee (which i don't drink much but i know the dramamine will probably put me to sleep), etc, etc, just to play a game? I'm intrigued by the premise of an awesome story that can only be told via this format. I did make it about halfway through the original System Shock before giving up due to DIMS (not as bad since you moved slowly rather than running down halls blowing away everything that moves)...is this one better?

tuxbailey
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Nah, that warning is for people who might have an epileptic seizure from video games. Something about flashing lights i think...

I suffer from a bad case of DIMS - Doom Induced Motion Sickness. Now here's my followup question...is BS Infinite so awesome that I should pop dramamine, ginger, lotsa coffee (which i don't drink much but i know the dramamine will probably put me to sleep), etc, etc, just to play a game? I'm intrigued by the premise of an awesome story that can only be told via this format. I did make it about halfway through the original System Shock before giving up due to DIMS (not as bad since you moved slowly rather than running down halls blowing away everything that moves)...is this one better?

Well, Bioshock Infinite's Story is very awesome and the way they designed and implemented Elizabeth is great for a NPC.

The rail fighting mechanics is very well done and fun to do.

As to whether it is worth it to take PED to play a game, only you can answer that :D

FlashUNC
04-11-2013, 12:30 PM

If your problem is motion, then Bioshock Infinite won't work I think. A good chunk of the fights involve you flying around on rails at high speed, jumping on and off sky tracks.

The original Bioshock is a bit more methodical combat wise without as much disorientation. So that might be the way to go.

Louis
04-15-2013, 12:21 AM
With the arch in the background, it's clearly my back yard.

If you were wondering what I look like, that's me on the left.

http://www.geekzenith.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Defiance-season-1-2013-Syfy-poster.jpg

1/2 Wheeler
04-15-2013, 10:33 AM
I know that I have "addiction" issues so I have avoid becoming a gamer.

My 20 y/o and 16 y/o are accomplished gamers and favor FPS.

The older boy got BI the day it came out and completed it(?) over the first weekend. The younger boys has it now and is working on it.

My oldest says it is the best game ever.

tuxbailey
04-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Started to play Spec Ops: The Line and put Tomb Raider on hold. Very engaging (and very dark) story so far. It certainly won't have a happy ending.