PDA

View Full Version : *Chamois Question*

zott28
04-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Other than not to offend or excite at the post ride cafe, why are chamois so bulky in the bulk? :banana:
Does anyone have any recommendations on brands that fit that area better? I'm pretty sure I'm a common man, so I don't think I'm experiencing problems that others are not.

Side Question: bibs and tall guys, I'm 6'2" and need to wear xxl in most brands to get the suspenders to fit. Are there any XL talls out there?

Louis
04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Other than not to offend or excite at the post ride cafe, why are shammies so bulky in the bulk?

Not all are thick - some pads are significantly thinner than others; but I don't have any of those, so I can't recommend a particular brand or model.

Bradford
04-09-2013, 04:03 PM
bibs and tall guys, I'm 6'2" and need to wear xxl in most brands to get the suspenders to fit. Are there any XL talls out there?
I'm slightly taller than you and gave up on bibs long ago because I never found a pair that fit. Shorts work just fine for me, so it really doesn't bother me.

GRAVELBIKE
04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Many of the Nalini/MOA Sport pads are not bulky (which is exactly why I prefer them). The suspender lengths are average, and overall fit depends on which product family you choose (for example, the team kit runs larger than the other models).

eddief
04-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Shammy Davis Jr.

Louis
04-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Regarding the bib straps - given the choice between shorts and bibs, everything else being equal, I prefer shorts - less hassle in a number of ways...

zott28
04-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I really like the feeling of bibs on my waist and lower back. I just hate them around my nipples and shoulders due to my height.
Nothing is really made for Tall slender guys in the this world. XL's everything seems to expand horizontally and not vertically.

Ken Robb
04-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I used to have a shammy so I got a better fork.

Lovetoclimb
04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Am I an outlier then being 6'3" and wearing medium bibs? (Large in the very tight fitting like Rapha Pro Team line, but even those eventually stretch to being a bit saggy.)

Not sure what brands you have tried, but I find the chamois pad in my Castelli bibs (Aero Race model from their custom program) to be significantly thinner than Rapha. And Rapha chamois is the same as Assos I have been told, though never ridden in Assos. Another interesting design feature of the Castelli bibs that may appeal to you is their suspenders are sewn to rest on the exterior of the pectorals and ribs. This gives them a decidedly looser feeling while still serving the purpose of holding the shorts up. Quite comfy.

bicimechanic
04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Aerotech has "tall" sizes in their bibs and shorts. I have several items from them and they are all well made. Not as nice as my Assos and Santini stuff but still very good. And mostly made in the US.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tallbikeshorts.html

Louis
04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I just hate them around my nipples

Easy fix to that problem:

http://labiciclettaproshop.com/images/library/large/assos_tfi_lady_bib_wht_12_m.jpg

zott28
04-09-2013, 04:38 PM
I used to have a shammy so I got a better fork.

Once the second smart aleck comment comes thru is when I catch on that I spelled something worng.:hello::crap:

zott28
04-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Easy fix to that problem:

http://labiciclettaproshop.com/images/library/large/assos_tfi_lady_bib_wht_12_m.jpg

Nice. Then maybe I do need the bulk!

slidey
04-09-2013, 04:57 PM
They're not if you're Lance ;)

Other than not to offend or excite at the post ride cafe, why are chamois so bulky in the bulk? :banana:

parallelfish
04-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Side Question: bibs and tall guys, I'm 6'2" and need to wear xxl in most brands to get the suspenders to fit. Are there any XL talls out there?

Boure will do custom sizing.

MattTuck
04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
First chamois thread of the year... we must be riding bikes again!! :banana::banana::banana:

Ken Robb
04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Once the second smart aleck comment comes thru is when I catch on that I spelled something worng.:hello::crap:

I usually write about "derailers" but folks gave up ragging me about it years ago. :)

bart998
04-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Back in the day when shorts were wool, chamois were, uh, chamois- and that's all. Much thinner than todays model. Kucharik still offers a wool short with no pad under the chamois...

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/wool-shorts-traditional-p-347.html?osCsid=ioac3ous85uo3kk72pghrof7c6