PDA

View Full Version : Oregon riding: Brookings to Portland (not via Coast)

raygunner
04-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Hey there!

I'm trying to plan a few different bike touring scenarios for my trip in the Pacific NW in Sept.

I'm recently considering starting in Portland and taking the Amtrack to Vancouver, BC and then riding through Washington & Oregon.

From the bottom of OR I'd need to return to Portland and would like to do so via bike and if possible, take another route other than the coast.

I've been looking at Google Maps but with not being a local I'm somewhat of a disadvantage. I'm thinking about picking up an Atlas but figured I'd pick some brains on the forum!

Any advice, let me know. Thanks!

wasfast
04-09-2013, 04:29 PM
One fundamental is that when the weather in Oregon is nicer (and early September generally qualifies), the wind is out of the North. Note that most ride the coast from North to South. Why not the Coast for you?

From Brookings, you either follow the coast or take one of the roads that goes east-west over the Coast Range. Most of the SW quadrant of Oregon is pretty hilly and modestly populated. You'd likely end up going as far as Coos Bay before going inland (east toward I-5).

krhea
04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Easily done and great choice to avoid the coast, especially coming north as the ride from Brookings to Portland has some incredible inland riding depending on the route you choose. Also depends on how many days you are allowing yourself. Inland the north wind will not be much of a problem, however, you will encounter some epic climbs which make for a great ride.

I'd be happy to help if I can as I've ridden and driven inland from Portland to the Cali border many times staying off the interstate. You can also grab some mappage from the Cycle Oregon site and put together a good route.

cnighbor1
04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
if you email me I will send your data on a route i did with a group in SW Oregon which if starting at near bottom of OR will get you north quite a ways
cnighbor2@yahoo.com
than go to cycle oregon they have al the routes they did and you should be able to patch them all together
I did Portland west than south along 395 to Medford

also try crazyguyonabicycles.com and type in oregon

raygunner
04-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Oh the wind! I encoutered that in a ride I did in April '10 from Portland to SF...cold & windy!

So I do want to be cognizant of that but I've done the coast and I do want to take it in but also explore more of the state.

Jeff Weir
04-09-2013, 09:52 PM
The northeastern part of the state is amazing.
Check it out........

coylifut
04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
From Brookings to Portland you want to go slightly south into CA and then ride the Smith River hwy #199 to Cave Junction OR. I can help you with routes to Portland from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_199

the redwoods along that stretch are the tallest in the world. If you are really motivated, there is a road the enters the south side of Jedediah Smith State Park adjacent to Crescent City CA. It turns into a well managed gravel road that meanders through the most giant and ancient redwoods.quite easy to find too. It's really the land of the great giants. I've driven it many times, a few times in passenger cars and would not hesitate taking a road bike through there. It meets up with 199. From there, you climb up an over the coast range along the Smith River. None of it is particularly steep.

PCR
04-09-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm recently considering starting in Portland and taking the Amtrack to Vancouver, BC and then riding through Washington & Oregon

I'm in Lynden,WA (a few miles south of the BC border, lots of back roads between here and Seattle. I'd be happy to host you while you're in the area. PM me, I'd be happy to assist. Google maps is good, also Mt. Baker Bicycle Club and Cascade Bicycle Club are good resources.

donevwil
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Check out some of the past Cycle Oregon (http://www.cycleoregon.com/week-ride/past-rides/)(bike tour) routes. Well thought out and beautiful, passing through small towns, quiet roads. Mixing and matching stages from two or three tours will certainly get you most of the way.