PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk compression...

veggieburger
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I know this has been discussed before, but I was curious if anyone could recommend a brand of compression socks or calf sleeves that they have actually used. I don't want to buy into the hype, but after reading many reviews, I think these might be a good idea for 100+ km rides.

Thoughts?

EDS
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
I know this has been discussed before, but I was curious if anyone could recommend a brand of compression socks or calf sleeves that they have actually used. I don't want to buy into the hype, but after reading many reviews, I think these might be a good idea for 100+ km rides.

Thoughts?

A good idea for after a 100+ km ride, yes.

JStonebarger
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I haven't exactly studied this, but why should we reduce the "symptoms" of hard work? For comfort only? Or is reducing swelling actually supposed to help some how? Why should I want less blood in the effected body parts? Couldn't swelling itself be part of recovery?

Some of the orthopedic patients I work with swear by cold therapy to reduce pain. I can't tell them they're wrong, and any "active recovery" that doesn't hurt seems like it should help, but still... I know that statistically the folks who use cold therapy take just as many pain meds as the ones who don't...

veggieburger
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
I haven't exactly studied this, but why should we reduce the "symptoms" of hard work? For comfort only? Or is reducing swelling actually supposed to help some how? Why should I want less blood in the effected body parts? Couldn't swelling itself be part of recovery?

I read the occasional review from folks with bad varicose veins, and they generally have good things to say about compression stockings. I wonder if they not only treat, but also prevent?

Puget Pounder
04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
A good read: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/02/an-update-on-compression-clothing.html

ahumblecycler
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I have owned these for nearly two years now, and I swear by them. I skip rope every day for 20 to 40 minute intervals, and I slip these on afterwards. I also wear them while flying.

http://www.zensah.com/men/men-accessories/compression-leg-sleeves.html

I also tried Pro Compression socks (marathon), but I could not comfortably wear them ... size L/XL black ... if you want them, they are yours for $25ish.

http://www.procompression.com/marathon-black/

veggieburger
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I have owned these for nearly two years now, and I swear by them. I skip rope every day for 20 to 40 minute intervals, and I slip these on afterwards. I also wear them while flying.

http://www.zensah.com/men/men-accessories/compression-leg-sleeves.html

I also tried Pro Compression socks (marathon), but I could not comfortably wear them ... size L/XL black ... if you want them, they are yours for $25ish.

http://www.procompression.com/marathon-black/

Thanks for the awesome info. I'll have to pass on the Pro Comps, since I am very particular about my socks. But I've been looking at the Zensah calf sleeves...nice to hear some ++ feedback.

cmbicycles
04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
I use the CEP sleeves for running, and being on my feet all day teaching. They make me a little too warm in warmer weather, but are great in fall/winter. Have used Zensahs as well, I think I prefer the CEP but that may just be because the Zensahs they replaced were worn out and the compression wasn't as good. I think they are both pretty well made.

ultraman6970
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Sorry if my comment hit somebody ok? non intentional since have no idea who is behind the nick names but seen old timers using long socks kind'a soccer socks quite often lately, since i'm kind'a classic doubt i will use those things but cant tell they dont work either.

jmoore
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I've been thinking about trying some of these as well. My calves have been particularly stressed after workouts lately, so I figure I don't have much to lose trying them.

CunegoFan
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Thoughts?

For use during exercise they are modern day snake oil. Multiple studies have shown no effect. Studies have shown them to be mildly effective for recovery when worn after exercise.

It is not worth looking like a dork to wear something that does not work. Leave that to triathletes.

jmoore
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
it is not worth looking like a dork to wear something that does not work. Leave that to triathletes.

lol!

ultraman6970
04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Well actually if you put shin guards to it with a soccer ball hanging from the side of the bike and going super fast, kind;a look cool... "the guy is late for the soccer game ":)

Grant McLean
04-09-2013, 03:40 PM
A good read: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/02/an-update-on-compression-clothing.html

most of the studies aren't cycling specific. not sure what the association with calf socks would be for cycling.
unless you wear them on your upper legs.

-g

54ny77
04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
The Red hot Chili Peppers wore socks.

Worked well for them.

John H.
04-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Maybe try thre sleeves.
I like compression socks for travel or recovery- hate them on the bike.
They make my feet hurt when my feet swell during the course of a ride.

giverdada
04-09-2013, 09:56 PM
i use the zensah calf sleeves after workouts, and before workouts as i'm driving or flying to race or train. i've never actually worn them to ride, and i don't think i'll run any more races in them, but they did seem to help when they were newer. i like compression for my own legs because i have really tight calves, and am prone to shinsplints/other injuries resulting from overtightened muscles that pull away from bones or stress connective tissues the wrong way, etc. while running, compression helps the muscles shake less and pull less as a result. nice for long runs, when everything feels like it's falling apart every step after 20 miles. i don't find any benefit from compression on the bike, mostly because i don't get rattled much, and that's what i like most about it while running - its anti-rattle assistance. anyway, ymmv, but calf sleeves are a good start 'cause they're not built to socks and they're not a million dollars. give'r.