PDA

View Full Version : Bent Fork Drop Out

redir
04-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I had a little incident with the bike involving roof racks and pure stupidity. Ok the blind rage and anger are over with and now it's time to address the problem. The right fork drop out got bent, doesn't seem too bad, could it simply be bent back or am I risking dental surgery or worse if I even try?

What do you think? Bend it back and forget about it? Or cough up the doe for a new fork?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YWYDsiTdf4E/UWKvcxr7caI/AAAAAAAAHic/GWGAQpWSFzc/s816/2013-04-08_07-45-43_765.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--1K-v07aX0k/UWKwAI25jEI/AAAAAAAAHig/JMJrUzECcEk/s787/2013-04-08_07-46-27_420.jpg

mktng
04-08-2013, 08:55 AM
adjustable wrench...clamp it and slowly bend it back?

what sorta fork is it?

Pete Mckeon
04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
OTher forks are made on STELL or Ti. It is probably ok if one of these two. Take to a shop and use an alignment tool. If aluminum I personally would not be too comfortable with bending back but let a reputable shop see it.

PETE

christian
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Alpha Q with a cast aluminum dropout.

CONGRATULATIONS! You have a new toilet paper hanger for the workshop!

mktng
04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Alpha Q with a cast aluminum dropout.

CONGRATULATIONS! You have a new toilet paper hanger for the workshop!

Ouch. The truth sometimes sucks :P

thirdgenbird
04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Cast aluminum doesn't usually fare well after being bent twice. I wouldn't ride it.

bobswire
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
If you have a vise try putting the tips in as far as possible then tighten. Maybe that will straighten it, I wouldn't take try bending it back with a hand tool, might weaken the joint with the carbon.

Tony T
04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I'd get a new fork.

cachagua
04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
In addition to the dropout, the rest of the fork will have undergone some stress in the incident, as well as the bond between the fork leg and the dropout -- each potentially a problem, and each very difficult to assess.

In the scheme of things, would a new fork be a backbreaking expense? You might use this as the excuse to get the fork you've always wanted.

Saw off the last two inches of the old one, and use it as a fob for the car keys. You'll never forget again!

CDollarsign
04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
If you have a vise try putting the tips in as far as possible then tighten. Maybe that will straighten it, I wouldn't take try bending it back with a hand tool, might weaken the joint with the carbon.

Ditto. I imagine trying to bend it with a hand tool would put loads on the joint and carbon which the lay-up wasn't designed for...

Ralph
04-08-2013, 11:02 AM

This is what I would try also.

redir
04-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks for your advice. I did manage to bend it back but I'll probably opt for a new fork.

I like the key chain idea, a subtle reminder.

AgilisMerlin
04-09-2013, 08:20 AM
i'd put it in a vise and let it do the work. I would file off the tab beforehand

if no visible crack i'd ride it

charliedid
04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Coat hanger in the front hall?

Any shop that would tell you anything other than to replace it should be avoided.

Sorry

AgilisMerlin
04-09-2013, 08:56 AM
i would ride it
i would suggest you don't

xjahx
04-09-2013, 09:00 AM
What could go wrong?!

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/94/260240408_a7a5ad65b4_o.jpg

redir
04-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Yikes! :eek:

Peter P.
04-09-2013, 03:45 PM
I had something worse happen to me with a steel fork/dropout. The accident bent the dropout 90 degrees to the fork blade. I merely bent it back with an adjustable wrench and rode it for a couple years.

To make a long story short, one day it cracked completely through. The remaining dropout was strong enough that I was able to ride it home without a problem.

Your dropout is likely aluminum, and the bend is not as severe as I experienced. As others have suggested, put it in a vise and clamp it hard; that should line up the 2 tips. Then slip a front wheel in and eyeball the dropout to see if it's crooked. If it isn't, then I'd take it to a shop for alignment.

Even if the one dropout fails, the remaining dropout should provide you enough support to finish a ride. Since the fork ends are braced by the hub, there's little stress there. Just eyeball it occasionally to see if a crack is forming and you should be alright.

redir
04-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Yeah I was kind of thinking along those lines too, that if it broke it would still be clamped into place. But I took it to my buddy at the local shop and he could not recommend in good faith fixing it.

So it's new fork time. Comes at a bad time since I am trying to save for a new house but I've got plenty of junk to sell too if I just take the time to actually mark it up :D

Looking at a Moots fork now, it will match the frame nicely but dayum it aint cheap :(

xjahx
04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
I have an Enve 2.0 fork, <1000 miles, red by circle A. I will let it go for cheap. Send me a PM if interested.

oldpotatoe
04-10-2013, 08:42 AM
I had a little incident with the bike involving roof racks and pure stupidity. Ok the blind rage and anger are over with and now it's time to address the problem. The right fork drop out got bent, doesn't seem too bad, could it simply be bent back or am I risking dental surgery or worse if I even try?

What do you think? Bend it back and forget about it? Or cough up the doe for a new fork?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YWYDsiTdf4E/UWKvcxr7caI/AAAAAAAAHic/GWGAQpWSFzc/s816/2013-04-08_07-45-43_765.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--1K-v07aX0k/UWKwAI25jEI/AAAAAAAAHig/JMJrUzECcEk/s787/2013-04-08_07-46-27_420.jpg

Have somebody with the proper tools, the 'H Tools, not an adjustable wrench(yikes)..straighten it. Bet it will be fine even tho it looks aluminum.

redir
04-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Have somebody with the proper tools, the 'H Tools, not an adjustable wrench(yikes)..straighten it. Bet it will be fine even tho it looks aluminum.

That's almost a game changer coming from some one with your experience but I think I'll still opt for the new fork. A friend of mine works at the local shop so I took it there. I don't know what the tool is called but he straightened it out with a tool that clamped to good the drop out and then one to the bad. At the end of the tool are two cup like pieces that when mated properly means the drop outs are straight. Is that what you were talking about?

Pete Mckeon
04-10-2013, 08:56 AM
and if you are happy with it, that is fine for it is you who is riding it. :bike:

I know that I had a new tip put in by Mike Lopez and Serotta when my bent as it was falling off roof rack

oldpotatoe
04-10-2013, 09:12 AM
That's almost a game changer coming from some one with your experience but I think I'll still opt for the new fork. A friend of mine works at the local shop so I took it there. I don't know what the tool is called but he straightened it out with a tool that clamped to good the drop out and then one to the bad. At the end of the tool are two cup like pieces that when mated properly means the drop outs are straight. Is that what you were talking about?

H tool. Think it would be fine.

mack
04-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Junk it.